Jaccarding meat

Ok Ok…

Here we go!!

Ok…

This was not a joke, but meant to be informative!!

I have this new Jaccard tool… OOps make sure you use it the right way !! Ouch

I took Majinola strip steaks… Jaccarded the top one and cooked it…

I used my invention for my pizza s

this is the finish… the jaccard pc of meat is at the top and was way to mealy … never do this with this type of beef

You also took a look at
http://www.wineberserkers.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=43684

Ron.

I didnt see anything from the link?

Paul

Ron was saying it sounded NSFW until you explained it.

You don’t see anything because you aren’t “opted in” there.

BTW, don’t bother!

It works good on tough cuts that one is marinating. Like flank steak.

Chris.

What My goal was to add sea salt, about 30 mins before cooking and jaccard it into the meat and then also to see what texture change would happen. Wrong cut of beef for sure.

paul

1 Like

setting aside the cut, and the tenderizing benefit, I don’t think the jaccard would be too effective with something dry like salt or spices (others are free to disagree). you might be able to do a “fast” brine if you used the jaccard. but better for pork than beef, I’d think.

As Paul discovered, jacquarding a tender cut mainly helps the fat run out during cooking. Even with a tougher cut, I’d rather chew a bit than have the texture altered by jacquarding.

-Al

Al…

That is exactly what I found out…

Thanks

Paul

Jaccarding is designed for tough cuts of meat such as top round or top sirloin that will be cooked at high heat as opposed to braising for a long period of time. What it does is cut the connective tissue (collagen) that does not gelatinize under a quick cooking, high heat method such as cube or chicken fried steak. Otherwise, the meat would be inedible. If the meat cut does not have a lot of collagen, then jaccarding is not needed.

I suppose the method could also be used on cuts such as ribeye or New York strip from select or lower grades of beef if one needed to economize although I have never tried this.

So again… working with the Jaccarding Tool!!

So tomarrow… Im going to make pork tenderloins… using center cut pork loin which I jaccarded in each direction … with a dry rub of granulated garlic, malbar pepper and a bit of cayenne pepper…

Tomarrow I will add a bit of salt jaccard and bread and fry… Oh you have to love a good breaded pork tenderloin!!

This was an amazing sandwich

I have done pork sandwiches

1. Pounded tenderloin
  2. Pounded Shoulder
  3. Pounded loins
  4. Commercial Jaccarded loins

But this way has to be the best textured cutlet sandwich, I have ever made !! I did my F ( Flour )-E ( Egg )-B ( Breading ) method… then in Corn Flakes which I pounded!! In canola oil @ 350

FWIW every time I see this post I have been re-spelling it in my head.

JACQUARD

But after a little research, I realized I was wrong. I’d bet money that a good genealogist would connect Jaccard to an ancestor named Jacquard but that is beside the point.

Pork chops always seem kind of tough to me. The idea of using this on pork has me thinking of buying one for the first time. The steaks I buy are plenty tender – and even skirt steak or “flap meat” cooks up in a way I can eat it enjoyably.

But a tough chunk of pork – well, I hardly ever buy pork and that’s the reason. Sounds worth $25 to make 'em chewable.

I also use the device to also impart flavor. I season the meat and then use the tool which gets the seasoning within.

Three suggestions:

(1) Look for heritage breed pork (Berkshire is my personal favorite) with more internal fat than the “other white meat” supermarket standard.

(2) Brine.

(3) Cook at low temperature, then sear for color and flavor. http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/article.asp?docid=18911&Extcode=K00NCSW00

The “Redneck Sous Vide” method works very well with pork chops. Redneck sous vide - Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes - WineBerserkers

First – thanks for the suggestions, Robert.

Now, Paulie, you can make pork loin tender, but you can’t make pork loin into tenderloin.

I see those terms confused constantly – a pork tenderloin is 2 or 3 inches across, max.

And I’d say in general that real tenderloin needs no help from a Jaccard to be tender tasting.

Case in point: spicy pork tenderloin w roasted bell pepper and tomatillos - Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes - WineBerserkers

Frank,

Here in the Mid-West, this is the name [ Pork Tenderloin Sandwich ] they give ( generic ) to a breaded pork cutlet sandwich. I really think the terminology is used mostly in Iowa.

Now, that being said.

I have used various pieces of the pork to make these cutlets:

I have used the tenderloin proper, and it is great for mini pork cutlets. The tenderloin is very tender and wont create a nice bit of tooth resistance, but very enjoyable any hoot. This would be the true pork tenderloin sandwich… [cheers.gif]

I do agree with you …the nomenclature… without a descriptor is/was off.

As always… best wishes and give this sandwich a try.

P-Man

My Jaccard tool and a meat mallet arrived from Amazon this morning.

So, those Pork Tenderloin sandwiches – looks like you have some onion and a schmear of mustard on a hamburger bun?

I think this is going to be interesting. I wonder how it would work on, say, brisket or skirt steak?

Frank,

I bought the pork loin and cut it into 1/2 inch pcs…using the center cut.

Jaccard the loin pcs, and season before of after… which ever you prefer.

I then… flour… egg wash ( 1-2 beaten with water to thin )… Crush Corn Flakes ( they need to rest 30 mins prior to cooking to bind the breading )

Cook in a cast iron skillet, with 1/2"-3/4" of oil IR gunned @ 350. I can do two at a time only

Take out… blot… keep on a rack in a 200 degree oven if your making more…

It doesnt take long to cook, Im looking at color… probably 3-4 mins a side possibly less

Mustard…lettuce…onion… You need a pickle too

Salt according to your own wishes.