2007? Faillia Syrah

Saturday:
The plan was…
NV Krug
1999 Jean Chartron Puligny Montrachet Clos de la Pucelle Monopole
1990 Dom. Joseph Faiveley Chambertin Clos de Beze Grand Cru
1986 d’Yquem

but dinner didn’t happen.

Sunday: dinner with Dick & Carollee including 1998 Guigal Hermitage and 2002 JL Chave Hermitage. We skipped the pork belly and red burg course as we were only 3 and not 4 as planned.

Thoughts? I have a couple of bottles of the GK in hiding.

Quite nice…just got better after the cork was out for a while…it was Hardy’s bottle…perhaps he will comment…or get Liotta in as he liked it also. Pleasurable to drink now…but wont hurt to hang onto either.

Tasty now and for another five years or more. Overall a nice wine from a decent vintage.

I took just a few brief notes-- That are so brief they may not help anyone. Overall, Flight 1 was my favorite, and 06 Sonoma my WOTN.

*= I liked it. No star just means I was thinking about Star Trek or something… I struggled with a lot of the 07’s. I liked the 06’s in general far more. The 07’s are just really concentrated to me.

Pinot’s
Flight I
2006 Alesia Pinot Noir Sonoma County ** Dug it. Light, acidic, really enjoyable. My favorite of the flight. 2nd Fav of table
2006 Alesia Pinot Noir Fallstaff Not my style. Concentrated. Burg-like nose but sweet fruit
2006 Alesia Pinot Noir Chileno Most concentrated of the flight.
2006 Alesia Pinot Noir Green Valley * 1/2 My 2nd favorite of the flight. Stemmy, a little rough, but interesting juice.
2006 Alesia Pinot Noir San Mateo * Crowd Favorite by a large margin. Most complete CA PN- Balance, significant fruit, decent acidity. (The Sonoma was more delicate and acidic)

Flight II
2007 Kutch Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast Crowd favorite. Very forward.
2007 Alesia Pinot Noir Green Valley * 1/2 My favorite of the flight. Woven up tight, but not overwhelming fruit.
2007 Alesia Pinot Noir Fallstaff
2007 Kutch Pinot Noir Kanzler

Flight III
2006 Rhys Pinot Noir Alpine
2004 Rhys Pinot Noir Home *1/2 My favorite of flight (I think the crowd too). I think this has just passed the hump though.
2006 Copain Pinot Noir Kaiser en Haut *
2006 Rhys Pinot Noir Alpine (yes, same wine twice…….)
2006 Rhys Pinot Noir Swan Terrace

Flight IV
2007 Dain Pinot Noir Savage Juliette
2006 Rivers-Maria Pinot Noir Summa
2007 Kutch Pinot Noir McDougall *1/2
2005 G. Roumier Chambolle Musigny *1/2 (I wrote Indian food next to it, I think it had some spice going on)
2007 Rhys Pinot Noir Skyline

Flight V
2001 Guigal Hermitage Ex-Voto Blanc
1989 Chateau d’Yquem
2003 J.J. Prum Graacher Himmelreich Auslese Riesling