Its Friday May 15th, what are you drinking this weekend

Ended up opening a 2000 Mantellassi Morellino di Scansano Riserva FM (bird label). A garagiste random item… taking a good while to open, it is not (immediately) as ripe and plush as many 2000 Italians… ample acidity.

Curious to hear about the 99 Clos St Denis, Noel, and about 00 Montestefano, P.

The Morellino is a bit underwhelming. Despite plenty of acid it lacks freshness. A touch herbal, quite savory, fruit is dried out / faded a good bit. Perhaps this was better a few years ago or perhaps this is a less than perfect bottle. Either way it’s ok as a cheap/simple drink with simple fair but it is a terrible QPR at the $29 Garagiste offered it at.

I’ll post more complete notes maybe tomorrow, but, in a nutshell, it was, to me, way too young and with questionable potential longevity. Two of us four disagreed with me though. It actually sparked a bit of discussion, so I’ve decided to open another bottle for the same group of four in a week or two to re-taste.

Best,

N

Rhys…and a lot of it.

Seo,

Went to the K Vintners tasting last night at WineSellar & Brasserie. Standouts that Charles poured were the Kung Fu Riesling (tremendous QPR at $12), the Pheasant and the Boy.

In addition:

2006 K Vintners The Deal Sundance Vineyard

With dinner:

2006 Kongsgaard Chardonnay
2002 Betz La Serenne Syrah
2005 Bergström Pinot Noir de Lancellotti

Love that wine Dick, Dan K. imports some really killer rose’s.

We opened the '08 Muri-Gries Lagrein Rosato last night…another fave of ours.

Is that it?

1986 Sauzet Bienvenues Batard Montrachet
2005 Rhys Chardonnay Alpine
2006 Rhys Chardonnay Alpine
2007 Rhys Chardonnay Alpine
2007 Aubert Chardonnay Lauren
2006 Alesia Pinot Noir Sonoma County
2006 Alesia Pinot Noir Fallstaff
2006 Alesia Pinot Noir Chileno
2006 Alesia Pinot Noir Green Valley
2006 Alesia Pinot Noir San Mateo
2007 Kutch Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast
2007 Alesia Pinot Noir Green Valley
2007 Alesia Pinot Noir Fallstaff
2007 Kutch Pinot Noir Kanzler
2006 Rhys Pinot Noir Alpine
2004 Rhys Pinot Noir Home
2006 Copain Pinot Noir Kaiser en Haut
2006 Rhys Pinot Noir Alpine (yes, same wine twice…….)
2006 Rhys Pinot Noir Swan Terrace
2007 Dain Pinot Noir Savage Juliette
2006 Rivers-Maria Pinot Noir Summa
2007 Kutch Pinot Noir McDougall
2005 G. Roumier Chambolle Musigny
2007 Rhys Pinot Noir Skyline
2001 Guigal Hermitage Ex-Voto Blanc
1989 Chateau d’Yquem
2003 J.J. Prum Graacher Himmelreich Auslese Riesling

I pulled a Landreth…no notes.

The best wines that have come out of that winery so far…the single vineyards were better than the sonoma. The kanzler was nice…not typical Kanzler, which is probably why it was nice.

Last night 2001 Joseph Swan Trenton Syrah- fucking awesome ( i need to drink my Syrahs’ with more age on them)
Tonight some young Pinot ( everything will be a let down after last night)

Last night: '01 Casa Castillo Jumilla

This afternoon: lots of Santa Lucia Highlands wines at the annual SLH tasting in the SLH

Tonight: an older CA PN, but not sure which yet

Tomorrow: anything that is good in 98 degree heat

Tonight, dinner with the Doc and our wives (my kids came along but I just gave them a bottle of rosé for themselves) - 2005 Fevere Chablis Le Clos Grand Cru with assorted appetizers, 2001 Daniel Rion Clos Vougeot Grand Cru with main. We also had a bottle of 1989 Pichon Lalande which was, unfortunately, corked and summarily discarded.

Which one?

These…

1986 Sauzet Bienvenues Batard Montrachet
2005 Rhys Chardonnay Alpine
2006 Rhys Chardonnay Alpine
2007 Rhys Chardonnay Alpine
2007 Aubert Chardonnay Lauren
2006 Alesia Pinot Noir Sonoma County
2006 Alesia Pinot Noir Fallstaff
2006 Alesia Pinot Noir Chileno
2006 Alesia Pinot Noir Green Valley
2006 Alesia Pinot Noir San Mateo
2007 Kutch Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast
2007 Alesia Pinot Noir Green Valley
2007 Alesia Pinot Noir Fallstaff
2007 Kutch Pinot Noir Kanzler
2006 Rhys Pinot Noir Alpine
2004 Rhys Pinot Noir Home
2006 Copain Pinot Noir Kaiser en Haut
2006 Rhys Pinot Noir Alpine (yes, same wine twice…….)
2006 Rhys Pinot Noir Swan Terrace
2007 Dain Pinot Noir Savage Juliette
2006 Rivers-Maria Pinot Noir Summa
2007 Kutch Pinot Noir McDougall
2005 G. Roumier Chambolle Musigny
2007 Rhys Pinot Noir Skyline
2001 Guigal Hermitage Ex-Voto Blanc
1989 Chateau d’Yquem
2003 J.J. Prum Graacher Himmelreich Auslese Riesling

Friday was an Amarone tasting with some awesome stand out Amarones: 1996 and 1998 Allegrini, and a 1988 Dal Forno. As a precursor wine, we shared a 1971 Canzemer Altenberg Auslese. Absolutely delicious!! Later in the evening, I had two of the best fu-fu grapefruit martinis ever! A little bit of fresh pulp and a pink, sugary rim. Yum!!!

Tonight an offline gathering with a potpourri of wines.

Tomorrow I may rest. Maybe have a bacon coca-cola. [berserker.gif]

Easily two or three times this many wines were opened over the course of the evening. I didn’t write them down this time.

2005 Château Caronne Ste. Gemme

Friday was a Peter Michael L’Apres Midi - always pleasing. Yesterday, the '00 Insignia. Tonight, probably Champagne (maybe a NV Billecart Rosé). Tomorrow, either a '91 cab or something from Bordeaux.

05 Geezer and this stuff rocks! Roast duck breasts with ligonberry sauce and polenta cakes with morels and shittakes. Sitting on the deck surrounded by flowers in a 70 degree breeze. Life is good.

[dance2.gif]

Brian- Sounds like a good lineup! The Kung Fu Girl is a ridiculous QPR. He’s also really proud of his Chard which is the same price point, but I havent had a chance to taste it. The Boy knocked me flat on my back. Drinking so well for a young Grenache. The 02 wells was the crowd favorite though. Charles is an interesting guy at the least. He’s definately on my list of people to visit when I make it to Walla Walla.