Italian Wine Merchants in NYC

Walked right by this yesterday but unfortunately didn’t have time to explore. Looks like a very large and interesting selection–they sure had some nice one in the window! Anyone dealt with them? Comments on service, price, selection, etc.?

TIA!

Price high, otherwise good.

Price very high, otherwise very nice shop.

Price Very Very Very high. Great restaurant feature for parties!

Been there, nice staff and high prices bought some stuff I had at Babbo and could only find there. Is it still owned by Batali/Bastianich?

JD

Could probably use a few more “verys”

There been a couple of incidences of shady actions by Sergio Esposito who seems to own or run this store. You might remember this whole fiasco:

I remember at least one other, but I can’t find it right now. Make what you will of that Conterno thread, but it seems obvious to me that Sergio lied to make his competition look bad (how much he lied about is up for debate, but not, I think that he did). That’s enough for me not to ever spend money there.

Ah yes. The big Conterno blowout. Loved that sale. Among others, 2 cases of '01 Granbussia at $100 each and 4 cases of '04 Romirasco at $65 each. How’s it gonna get better?

I’m not sure who shops there. It’s not a high-traffic spot (side street off the dullest side of Union Square) and there never seems to be anyone in there. Is the on-line business sustaining them? I don’t receive their e-mails anymore. The inventory is a lot smaller than it was when it opened. I struggled to find something I was enthusiastic about when I got a gift certificate from there a year or so ago. It seems they do a lot of events. Perhaps that’s the money maker.

Been to a few events there. The food is pretty good. The wines were too young.

Which is true of about 100% of all Italian fine wine sold at restaurants in the USA.

When I see these uber-expensive Italian eateries with the 5-year-old or 10-year-old Barolo on their wine lists, it almost brings a tear to my eye.

What a terrible waste of a wine which should be put away and forgotten for 40 years.

I got the hard-sell there when inquiring about a
Burgundy through wine-searcher a month or two ago, seemed odd at the time.

High prices but the best source for older Quintarelli bottles, direct from the source.

Good place for hard to find Italian wine. As was said, the pricing might be an issue.

The hoards of tourists flooding through Eataly? I’ve only been once, but it was a chilly, rainy day and the place was mobbed. Looks like they are printing money.

I think JM was talking about IWM. And you are talking about Eataly.

1. I’m not a NYC tourist, and I love Eataly. Love the whole thing, have a glass of wine while walking around, great pastas, choices of restaurants, the meat/cheese/wine thing in the middle. etc.

2. Eataly isn’t very near to IWM. Doubtful Eataly sending people down to IWM.

My mistake. I thought the shop next door to Eataly was IWM. Obviously, I was mistaken (although the wine shop there fits the description of IWC here to a tee)

Even if you overlook the other “issues” with IWM, as others have said, prices will pretty much keep you from buying much from them.

This was my experience years ago (though I was not inquiring about a Burgundy). I didn’t want to post because it was quite a few years ago, but it sounds like their model hasn’t changed. I called to ask about a Giacosa on their website and they blithely told me they didn’t have it, but I would surely want this and this and . . . which they did have. Seemed like a scam to me.