Italian Whites (Obscure or not?)

This is far from a comprehensive list of Italian white grape varieties, but the question is

Which Italian white grape varieties do you consider to be ‘obscure’?

*Check all that apply

• Arneis
  • Caricante
  • Catarratto
  • Falanghina
  • Fiano di Avellino
  • Friulano
  • Glera
  • Grechetto
  • Greco (di Tufo)
  • Grillo
  • Nascetta
  • Pecorino
  • Picolit
  • Ribolla Gialla
  • Timorasso
  • Trebbiano Toscano
  • Verdicchio
  • Vermentino
  • Vernaccia (di San Gimignano)
  • Zibibbo
0 voters

Personally I’ve not answered, as I’ve heard of (and I think tasted) all of them. As such it’s harder to say what’s obscure, than someone basing it purely on not heard of or not tasted.

It’s amazing just how many there are, and indeed with others still probably hiding in old vineyards.

It will be interesting to see the votes on glera.

3 Likes

That is actually what prompted this poll. We just did a blind red tasting with some berserkers here in NYC, and we are moving on to do another with whites. I don’t want to bring something too ‘obscore’, but I am not quite sure what qualifies as too ‘obscure’.

1 Like

One other way to consider obscure is on availability - if WS only lists 2 wines in the US, then it’s obscure on the grounds of being almost unobtainable… but if there’s a dozen different wines available with national or local shipping, then I reckon that’s ‘not too obscure’.

that said, it’s an interesting poll anyway!

1 Like

From my standpoint (retailer), I would consider grapes that aren’t explicitly on the DOC or DOCG more ‘obscure’ just because it required the consumer to do a little bit more research and thought to know the name. Most people will not ‘know’ Glera even if they drink Prosecco weekly.

2 Likes

I did not base my opinion on whether I knew the varieties or not (because I knew and had also tasted multiple examples of all of them, duh), but how obscure they actually are. Voted Nascetta and Picolit, because both of them are not only obscure, but also very rare. Some years ago I would’ve also voted Timorasso, but even though it is still pretty rare a variety, it is definitely not obscure.

However, I bet very few people have tasted sweet Picolit wines or one of the small handful of Nascettas produced in Piedmont. In many places these are wines very hard to come by, even if you were looking for them.

I can understand why many people think Grechetto is obscure - it is so rarely produced as a varietal wine that one seldom sees the name. However, it is a very widely grown variety used in blends such as cheap Orvieto white or sweet Vin Santo. Definitely nothing obscure there.

One might not see that much Falanghina, but it is a very common and widely planted variety in the south, along with Greco di Tufo and Fiano di Avellino. I find it funny how many people think Catarratto is more obscure than Carricante (and Grillo is not at all obscure) when Catarratto is the most widely planted white variety in Sicily.

And Zibibbo is just your run-of-the-mill Muscat. :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

I did not realize that. Thanks!

Moscato di Alessandria is its other name. Not quite as common as Moscato Bianco though, which is more common in France. Eastern Mediterranean is more Zibibbo, but there are plantings all over.

2 Likes

Indeed this. I just thought of both Muscat of Alexandria and Blanc as run-of-the-mill cultivars, because they are so ubiquitous compared to any other Muscat varieties.

1 Like

I voted Nascetta, Picolit, and Catarratto, the latter mostly because it seems to live in the shadow of Carricante.

I’m interested in the diversity and range of Italian whites, both personally, because I think they’re cool, and professionally, because there is conversation in California about which might do well here. The combination of palate density and aromatic interest, combined with high heat tolerance, make varieties like Fiano and Vermentino (of the better known varieties) attractive prospects.

I had my first ever Nascetta a couple months ago - from Elvio Cogno - and was extremely impressed, particularly by its weight and texture. Hopefully more ideas of fun things to try will emerge from this thread!

1 Like

Have you considered Catarratto? It has certainly been in the shadow of Carricante, but personally I think much of that has to do with Etna’s acclaim, and the intent wineries have had in producing the two wines.

Try Caruso e Minini’s Naturalmente or Feudo Montoni’s Vigna del Masso if you haven’t already.

1 Like

”I don’t want to bring something too ‘obscore’, but I am not quite sure what qualifies as too ‘obscure’.”

I believe more or less all of the varieties will be considered obscure to any Francophile :grin:

2 Likes

And Picolit can be one of the great sweet wines of the world

2 Likes

I have a bottle of Bruno Giacosa Arneis open and enjoy it. I also think Cortese could be on the list. I used to very much enjoy the Pio Cesare Gavi, but have not had it for a while. Also, I have always wanted to try the Emidio Pepe Trebbiano D’Abruzzo.

1 Like

The grape name may not have been well known, but Gavi was all the rage a decade or two ago.

1 Like

Those are 2 other grapes I wanted to add. It actually caps the poll at 20 items, so I had the challenge of narrowing it down.

1 Like

Pecorino is the only one I haven’t had.

I don’t consider glera obscure because a lot of wine drinkers do have a fairly good idea of how Prosecco is supposed to taste, even if they may not recognize the name of the grape. And grechetto is produced in large quantities in form of Orvieto.

1 Like

Me only clicking the ones I’ve never heard of :rofl:

2 Likes

Erbaluce? Bellone?

4 Likes

Nascetta is the only one on the list I never had so it got my vote. Thumbs up to the Picolit, fine desert wines. I must have a few older ones from Ronco dei Tassi somewhere.
The list can be easily extended: Insolia, Garganega, Malvasia, Favorita… And all those obscure^2 varietals from Amalfi which go into Marisa Cuomo’s Fiorduva.

2 Likes