It’s Dungeness crab season. What’s your favorite wine pairing?

Champagne, Pinot Blanc, Condrieu or Marcassin Chard.

Just snort some domoic acid and call it a day.

+1

And +1 for Muscadet

Although PYCM is also welcome!

You guys know Dungies come with their own butter right? flirtysmile Why add some from a cow?

Oh, and local Oregon chard with some age, or Pinot Blanc for me.

My go-to is Chablis. Most of the other suggestions work fine, and I’m going to have to start opening Champagne more on non-holidays.
One wine that does not work for me at all is oaked Chardonnay (neutral wood OK).

Champagne. I was told a long time ago by a wise person that we usually have it all wrong. Birthdays and wedding no one is paying attentional the wine. On the other hand we should always have a bottle ready as a tonic for that crappy day at the office.
So yes +1 on the non holiday thing.
Oh did I mention he was ITCB ? :slight_smile:

Traditionally this is true, but note that the northern half of the West Coast is delaying the start of the season a couple of weeks due to crabs being undersized.
I’m assuming this is due to growth being slowed by cooler ocean temperatures in some areas.
Look for supply to begin to peak around mid-December.

https://www.registerguard.com/news/20181115/commercial-crabbing-season-delayed-off-oregon-coast

Tomalley! flirtysmile

I usually get my first batch from the fishermen at Moss Landing, south of Santa Cruz Ca. They were able to start fishing today. Heading down tomorrow. Have an Ultramarine Bdb, a Dirty a Rowdy Semillon, and a Lichen sparkling Pinot Gris set to choose from.

I’ve been in Japan for the last two weeks, first in Hokkaido, where the king crabs are in season, then in Kanazawa, where snow crab has just come in. Must have eaten kilos of the stuff so far. Not Dungeness, I know, still our pairing findings are applicable, I think - champagne with the males or when eating just the meat (or certainly chablis or albarino, I think, but no access here) and sake with the females or when consuming the gooey parts in quantity. In Kanazawa, the common serving has been steamed with a side of vinegar for dipping.

I’ve done the peated scotch thing with many shellfish before and agree it can be great.

Sake or peated malt sound perfect.
Personally I’ve always reserved richer chards for crabs, but I have very few left.

"Crab and riesling together are part of the Creator’s Plan - Hugh Johnson

I love riesling and crab, especially something minerally and salty like a Heerkretz from the Rheinhessen.

I have also had good success with BdB Champagne, Condrieu, Beaucastel’s Roussanne VV, dry chenin blanc

Had a test crab today with an Alesia 2016 Santa Cruz Chardonnay from a 375 bottle but due to throat irritation from smoke, I just can’t taste anything. Hopefully next week’s rain will help.