It’s Dungeness crab season. What’s your favorite wine pairing?

Great call.

When I get good fresh Dungeness, I eat it unadorned. I do the same with super fresh briny oysters.

With raw seafood, I like to taste the sea … not butter or vinegar or sugar in sauces.

Cocktail sauce is ambiguous ( to me anyway) but both are wine killers. Slightly surprised to see it mooted here.

The North American version probably worst and I just about never use it any way.
The version I grew up with (I’m from the Prawn Cocktail Years) and do make from time to time (tarted up with some cognac tarragon and a touch of Dijon).

For that, I tend to look for a fairly neutral white ideally not expensive and just a small pour to assuage those who can’t eat without wine. Or SA Chenan Blanc and Fino sherry too.

Albarino

Champagne.

Muscadet.

From this thread, apparently a more appropriate question would have been: “What’s your least favorite wine pairing?”

[thankyou.gif]

FTFY.

If it has butter, IME, it works best with something with both lots of body and lots of acid. That’s what I’d look for, regardless of region. You can find it in Champagne or Jura or Chablis or Fruili or Albarino or Fiano di Avellino. But it’s more about the individual bottling than about the region.

That sounds fairly incredible. Thank you for sharing this idea!

Chenin pet nat is pretty solid.

Crisp white wines only need apply.
No/low dose BdB Champgne
Chablis
Mâconnais Chardonnay
Aligoté
Melon/Muscadet

Anyone who would serve nature’s finest shellfish with ketchup probably puts it on hotdogs, too…

If I could pick 3 wines they’d be:

2007 Didier Dagueneau Pouilly-Fumé Pur Sang
2012 Meßmer Burrweiller Schloßgarten Im Goldenen Jost Weissburgunder Großes Gewächs
2008 Pierre Péters Champagne Grand Cru Cuvée Speciale Blanc de Blancs Les Chetillons

An older bottle of Schramsberg rose.

But I approve of the Pinot Blanc and Muscadet suggestions, too.

Though really best pairing would come from Pacific Coast.

I’m a little surprised there is only one Sauvignon Blanc suggested. Dungeness is really sweet, and I find it goes amazingly well with Sav Blanc, which would mean Sancere.

Steamed crab with lime, salt, and pepper = riesling (off-dry, GG, or Austrian)
Any other way = chardonnay or champagne

2006 Comtes de Champagne

I agree. I also enjoy Pinot Gris and Pinot Blanc with fresh, cold, unadorned Crab. No butter please.

[cheers.gif] If you try it, post here and let us know what you think. I did this with my cousins two weeks ago with some fresh Dungeness and a nip from four different Oban bottles: 14, 18, Little Bay, and…I can’t remember the fourth. Shocker.

Peter Michael L’Apres-Midi
Mostly sav blanc with a hint of semillon, nice body without the chard fatness. Decent acidity, no malo. I think it’s a lovely pairing with crab.

Dammit, now I want crab. Every year, my friend and I buy about 2 crabs/person, and we eat nothing but the crab until we can’t eat anymore. It’s glorious, especially with champagne.

That is one fine wine. [thumbs-up.gif]