It’s been too long, Old Vines Offline #6 - Aug 31st, Forestville - The Round-Up

Just checking in on this, in general is there an span of years of Old Vine wines you a re looking to share with each other or just specifically wines from Old Vines?

Thnx!

Not really although a sub-theme will be 2013. Are you interested in joining us Nick?

Ah sweet, I think that I could pull off some wines from around that time frame. I’d be interested in joining, but need to double check our plans on the 31st and I’ll get back to you. Glad I caught a whiff of this thread via other thread!

2 week notice, OP updated.

So - is the plan to do flights of three or four? I have a suspicion people will be bringing OV Zins so I’ll bring a flight of OV Carignan.

I can bring some old vine zins. I’ll have to check my cabs and bedrock selection to see what else qualifies.

If anyone wants, I can bring a BBQ brisket, Ribs or pork butt.

If we want to get funky on the grill, I have some wild game. Nilgai and Venison backstrap.

We usually just open bottles and go for it more casually than the Syrah nights. Sit around the table, pass the bottles back and forth, munch on goodies, shoot the shit. If you guys want to geek out we can.

Dude! [worship.gif]

If we want to get funky on the grill, I have some wild game. Nilgai and Venison backstrap.

I can’t guarantee we get to everything but if you want to bring it I’m “game” [wink.gif] We have some vegetarians also so I need to keep them in mind as well.

Here are my wines for the event.
2013 Scherrer Winery Zinfandel Scherrer Shale Terrace
2013 Limerick Lane Zinfandel Russian River Valley

1993 Ravenswood Zinfandel Old Hill
2009 Carlisle Zinfandel Montafi Ranch
1979 Edmeades Vineyards Zinfandel DuPratt Vineyard

I also have to make the trek to Limerick Lane to pick-up some bottles if anyone wants to tag along. I am also interested in a tasting at Calluna Vineyards. Anyone interested? Have an 11am set for Saturday morning for up to 8-10 people. Great views from the property.

D-D-D-D-D-D-Dude!!!

I also have to make the trek to Limerick Lane to pick-up some bottles if anyone wants to tag along. I am also interested in a tasting at Calluna Vineyards. Anyone interested? Have an 11am set for Saturday morning for up to 8-10 people. Great views from the property.

Would love to join you but I’ll be prepping.

It looks like the date is not going to work for us. Sorry, we’ll have to catch up next time.

[cry.gif] We’ll miss you two.

Okay, I am now a plus one. (Deb is looking forward to seeing old friends, and also does not want to sit home alone after we drop off the oldest daughter at college.) Wines: Definitely bringing the 2004 W-S Feeney Ranch; also have a Talty Ponzo Zin (2014) that qualifies, and the Valdez Family 2013 St. Peters Church that should work. So probably two total bottles? Is that enough? :wink: Also, since you are cooking, I am thinking it would be nice if all of us anted up for Brian’s outlay.

If we want non-zin I can also bring Spring Mountain cab, or a York Creek '02 cab. And while we are talking Limerick Lane and the Bilbros… I just got off the phone with Sam Bilbro who I was directed to when I wanted to find out the age of the Fox Hill Vineyard (some nebbiolo). After I hung up, I realized who it was and called him back. Someone needs to do an event around that family’s wines.

I was going to bring West Of Temperance “Poor Ranch Vineyard” Mendocino County Carignan, Dashe Cellars “Les Enfant Terribles - Evangelho Vineyard” Old Vine Carignan, and Porter Creek “Old Vine” Mendocino Carignan, and I think we have a blend somewhere.

I think I have a 13 or 14 oakville farmhouse i can bring. Also I have turley Haynes vineyard which give us some Napa old vines. I’m not sure how many bottles I need to bring…

Don’t sweat it. There will be plenty of wine. Bring what you want to taste, no pressure.

Funny, I woke up this morning thinking about your earlier post about Carignane, and I guessed the Porter Creek. Good stuff, hadn’t really considered the others.

I am down with a brisket–one of my favorite pairings with Zin, but you need 12 hours or so to smoke a big one properly. Herculean if someone wants to do it. Venison, also. We don’t eat pork, but I doubt that we will go hungry, so why not just gorge ourselves on every kind of viande? And once again, there’s going to be waaaay too much wine.

I kind of fell in love with West of Temperance recently. They’re doing some Aglianico too. You’ll like it.

I hope!

Advance weather looking good. 86° and clear. Should make for a relaxed evening unlike last night where as of 5am this morning the mercury has not dropped below 70°.

Looking at my stems and my go-to party stems are dwindling in numbers. If we plan on doing some flights you might want to bring a couple with you if you are a local.