Inexpensive coffee grinders?

The Cuisinart is the same model we just returned. Must have been a defective unit.

Oh yes, I see that now, too bad. iā€™ve been very happy.

lighter roasted beans often still have some of the chaff. when you burn the beans, the chaff burns off and the oils move from inside to outside of the beans.

Iā€™ve also had good luck with that Capresso grinderā€“has lasted about 10 years, although itā€™s not my everyday grinder (it lives at the office now). Will agree that the static can be annoying, and I also burp the grinder once itā€™s done.

I have this. Itā€™s cheap and gives you a workout!

http://www.amazon.com/Hario-Coffee-Mill-Slim-Grinder/dp/B001804CLY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1444516255&sr=8-6&keywords=hario+coffee&refinements=p_76%3A2661625011%2Cp_89%3AHario%2Cp_n_condition-type%3A6461716011

Google how to fix the Jura

If you have more specific info Iā€™d really appreciate it. I did some heavy duty Googling a year or so ago but didnā€™t find much of use. It appears that no repair places will work on the Jura but Jura will refurb it for around $300. Thatā€™s a good deal but Iā€™d probably only do it to sell it. We really donā€™t need something like that for daily use at home.

Not such useful advice I suppose. Itā€™s hard to find advice on a Jura grinder given all the automatic machines they sell. Do you know who sells it?

So, Peter, after reading all this, what are you thinking?

I might be in the market for an inexpensive conical burr grinder this year/next, myselfā€¦at our home we have a Capresso with no complaints at all, soā€¦thatā€™s our likely candidate.

+1. Exactly my experience; canā€™t tamper with success.

I think thatā€™s a given re: burr grinders. I made that move years ago because of that ā€œwisdomā€. But, if something works for youā€¦I guessā€¦why mess with it.

Burr grinders have provided me with what Iā€™ve wanted over the years. They just donā€™t last forever.

My wife bought the Capressa and it is working fine so far. Seems to be quieter and better than the Cuisinart. Still trying to figure out the static issue because our counter is small tile and the grout doesnā€™t take sealing well, so the powdery grounds tend to discolor it immediately during cleanup. Kindof a drag having to pull out a large mat to put under it each time, but weā€™ll survive.

I had a Kitchen Aid industrial model for a number of years. They had a glass carafe to supposedly eliminate that issue. The glass kept breaking and they charged me each timeā€¦snug fit. It worked ok with darker roastsā€¦but, as pointed out here, the lighter, chaff will fly around. Nothing seems to solve that issue no matter the machine.

good luck

This is way outside the price point youā€™re seeking: Virtuoso - Baratza

But how many are you going to buy and throw away before you get one that does the job? These are built rock solid and are easy to work on yourself and baratza does a great job supporting them with knowledge and part. This particular one has been widely considered the best for drip type coffee. Iā€™ve been very pleased. I suspect this will last me another 20 years with replacing the burrs every 5-10 years and a few other small parts.

And, originally I bought their lower model one at the time (dumb luck, I didnā€™t know it was good) and it did great work for 10+ years. Iā€™ve now replaced the burrs in it and itā€™s great again. Itā€™s a little smaller, so we use it on vacations.

Throw them away? My wife has kept every receipt for everything sheā€™s bought in the last 25 years. But the one we returned weā€™d had for only 2 weeks.

Yup. Buy it right the first time and forget it. My inlaws asked for a grinder recommendation a few years ago and I gave similar recommendations as above. They balked at the price range and bought at the bottom of the burr grinder range. I think they are on their 3rd unit and have spent over $300 in total.

Actually, mine (Capresso) does the opposite. The light roasts have very little static electricity problem, the darker roasts generate more (although really not hard to wipe up each time).

-Al

got this from Costco a few years back. Works just fine.

We have this and I hate it

http://www.amazon.com/Capresso-Grinder-Grinding-Coffee-Spices/dp/B00D5YKYG8/ref=sr_1_68?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1444832759&sr=1-68&keywords=Capresso+grinder

It is impossible to remove the lid without spilling coffee.

1 Like

Donā€™t get a blade chopper.

-Al