In The Pantheon of Great Bordeaux QPRs: 1986 Chateau Meyney

I enjoyed a 1989 very much last weekend.
The nose was extremely captivating, but the structure and grip on the palate had decreased too much.
The 1986 has developed better, as you write

1 Like

Actually, in 2018, it is perfectly fine!

Just opened my last of the 4 I purchased (one was gone/spoiled/corked). All have had soaked corks, but this one was COMPLETELY soaking wet. Mold all over the top of the cork revealed itself when I removed the capsule. The Durand came in handy yet again, as I could tell how moist the cork was by the feel of the corkscrew end going in - like a pile of wet newspaper in feeling and smell. Not looking good…

Amazingly, the wine is perfect - delicious fragrant nose, filled with olive oil, saddle leather, slate, and the palate is probably the best of the three I’ve had - silkier than the others, seemingly a bit more structure overall though the tannins are absolutely tiny specks of dust small. Big cassis profile but in a mature, not fresh delivery. Delicious, classic Bordeaux profile. Thanks Alfert - this was a fun trip with these wines.

1986 is my birth year, and I just snagged a 3L of Meyney for a good price. Waiting for my 35th next year to open it. Hopefully with friends. Expecting epic things from this thread…

Nice note and I just looked and I have an ‘86 Meyney in my cellar! I will have to open soon. I forget about what I have down there.

Grab an 86 Mouton as well! [cheers.gif]

I just had the 1989 tonight. Seriously, I have no words to accurately describe but…beautiful cassis, saddle leather, bright cherry, red flowers, silk tannins but obvious, cigar smoke layering on the glass. Not sure what else I could want in a wine!

Those words work for me! Love it.

Great thread. I just had a 2012 Meyney last night and it was great. Along the same lines, I picked up some 1966 cantemerle and have drank 2 out of 5 bottles. I’ve learned that old a$$ BDX is my thing. 2010 BAMA was another “wow” type experience. Keep these threads coming.

This.

So damn good. Having yet another. Like the 86 Meyney, I’ve had a ton of this 2000 over its lifespan. Really one of the better Lanessans that I have ever had, and just so damn consistent bottle after bottle. A truly old world profile.

Be careful with 1986 Mouton. Lots of it was cooked.

You can’t ‘this’ your own post, bro!! cheesehead

Damnit Todd, I need a “like” button for my own posts! Get on with it!

Like.

[berserker.gif]

You can if you habitually speak of yourself in the third person.

That is part of the software upgrade, and we’ll see if it works or not. The tiny number of people who volunteered to ‘beta test’ had mixed results on the like feature

I didn’t think it made the cut. Nice. Mixed results in it working? Or, mixed results in whether they liked the button?

Reviving this after I opened a bottle tonight. I bought 10 bottles at a Zachys auction this November for $475 all in. Just opened the first. Fill level looked really good but cork was soaked all the way through, so a little concerned . . . and . . . It is singing. Almost assuredly the best $47.50 wine I’ve ever had. Thanks to everyone who made this thread and thereby encouraged me to look for some. What a fantastic 35 yr+ old wine at a stunning price. I could drink this all day and all week and all month and all year!

1 Like

I had a 1983 and it was really good still. Based on that and a few other Meyney experiences, I loaded up pretty heavily on 2022 en primeur. I should have enough to enjoy until I’m 80.

1 Like

Had 2 bottles of the 82 over the last few years, both showed very well. Hard not to get excited about the way “mid-level” Bordeaux from the 80s are drinking/holding up when we’ll-stored.

1 Like