In The Pantheon of Great Bordeaux QPRs: 1986 Chateau Meyney

We’ve been counting on 80s Bordeaux since I got into wine nearly 30 years ago. How much longer will these hold up?

I have 4 left from the case…Best QPR I ever made… This wine is equal to many $100+ wines… Still complex nose of leather and spice and dark berries. The wine is smooth, tannin resolved, with many complex notes. This wine changes in the glass many times over a two hour time period. I think as a case purchase it was $13.95 a bottle.

Are you sure you’re feeling OK? Doesn’t Meyney have too much flavor for you? I recently bought a case of the 89 and a case of the 90 at auction and I’m picking them up this weekend. I think the '89 Meyney is the best Cru Bourgeois I have ever had.

Well, thanks to Robert, I bought 4 of these. Bottles arrived in PERFECT condition - capsules, etc. Opened the first (had to try, no?) and ugh…moldy wine, dammit. The mustiness carried through into the wine, since the cork was completely soaked, I imagine.

(hit the arrow to move through all 4 photos)

LOL, that Alfert, phucking Yak-palate!

I hope you immediately moved to bottle two?

I’m drinking a Chappellet Reserve Cab. Bleh. Trade ya!

Todd,

Was it just the “Cordier funk” you were experiencing or were these corked? The funk abates with a little air. . .

I opened a bottle of 1986 Meyney last weekend and the consensus among the group was pretty much the same as yours. It is an extremely well balanced wine with a very good nose and palate and about at the point where I needed to plan on opening my last remaining bottles in the near future.

In the beginning I suspected ‘Cordier funk’ but it was quite clear as time went on that I was looking through rose-colored glasses. TCA city.

The coolest thing about Bordeaux, and the NOT-coolest thing about Bordeaux is this; for every $33 dollar bottle of 1982 Lafite Rothschild you have had, there is somebody who has had an $8 bottle of 1961 Lafite Rothschild. It’s really a vicious circle…

Very true! That also explains how some lucky so-and-sos with ancient cellars are able to drink for free! I often wish my father had collected wine instead of stamps - well, at least I’m going to leave some bottles to my children, unless I drink the lot!

Alfert survives one more day on WB - if this bottle was corked, he was banned.

I’d write some sort of tasting note but it would suck - suffice it to say that Alfert’s note above is spot on. This bottle is heavy on graphite and petrichor (THANK YOU for writing that - I looked it up, and I hope to use it in the future. So perfect) and a little ‘horse sweat’. It is elegant on the palate - perfectly weighted, and absolutely spot on quintessential Bordeaux in the Classic style. The fruit is very dark at first but levels out to a beautiful sweet red fruit profile. Just enough finish to show its legs, but certainly not forever at this stage. Love it.

Had it failed, I would have sent you some!

So glad it showed. I was sweating. And God I love sweaty horse leather. I’m a sick phuck. Bring on the funk and game, Tone Loc style.

And Todd, buy some 2014 Sociando and 2014 Lanessan. Stock it away for 15 years. I will be dead, or banned, and you will drink it in my honor, saying “Alfert did me right, god I miss that lug”.

Lug? A lug can’t say that about another lug - it’s weird.

Also, don’t tell me what to do! (oh, wait, you did already, dammit…and I bought in!). I loved my 2000 Lanessan.

buys Lanessan

Robert, you’re making me nostalgic…Meyney used to be my house wine…went through multiple cases of '82, 86, 89 , and 90. Last bottle according to CT was the '89 in 11/14. The last '86 was in 2/12. Talk about QPR!!! Not surprised at all that the '86 is still going strong. Break out the “Those were the days” theme song!!

“And you knew who you WERE THENNNNN…

Goyls were goyls and men were mennnnn…,”

I think La Dame De Montrose is a good QPR as well.

Great thread title
I just finished the wine, sipping it over 2 days. On day 2 it is sooo brilliant
It is actually better than 1989 and 1990
Thanks for reminding, Robert

Probably the wine I’ve drunk more of than any other
For years I argued the '89 over the '86 as best Meyney ever (all of the 80s Meyney from decent vintages were quite good), but last 5-8 years the '89 faded a little.
Now '86 is my clear favorite.
Served T’giving to non-geek crowd, everyone loved, this particular bottle still had plenty of tannin.

I picked up a six-pack of the '88 for $34/bottle about three years back and I have one left. For the most part they’ve given a whole lot of pleasure. One was corked. A few have started off with an overwhelming cow dung nose, but it completely blew off after an hour or so. The palate on all the bottles (except the corked one) has been remarkably fresh with a good balance of red fruit, sous bois and tobacco.

Thanks for the reminder to open my remaining bottle soon.