In Search of Reasonable "White Burgundy"

Most of the better White Burgundies from the Cote d’Or have reached a price where, sadly, I can’t afford to play any more. Living in Oregon, I have long bought some of the local wines that I’ve found to be somewhat similar. I also looked toward Chablis, but those wines have skyrocketed as well. Now the local wines are, in some cases (and probably justifiably), getting more spendy, I’ve been looking for other alternatives. The latest place where I see value is back in Burgundy. The Macon area produces a lot of rather ordinary Chardonnay, but there are producers whose products rival their neighbors to the north at a fraction of the price. If you have not subscribed to the Wine Advocate and reviewed @William_Kelley’s survey of the region, you need to. I’ve found a number of wines that I find very attractive for less than $40.

Obviously there are still producers here providing real value, like Goodfellow, Vincent, Brick House, and others, but given the number of unproven producers here charging $50+ for their “first out of the gate” Chardonnays, these Maconnais wine appear to have some value.

9 Likes

2020 Guillemot-Michel Viré-Clessé Quintaine

3 Likes

I love this post. Non-Cote d’Or Burgundy is so exciting to me. Rully, Givry, Vire Clesse, Pouilly Fuisse etc etc etc. So much to explore. Small-production, artisanal wines to discover. Brings me back to what I love about wine. Adventures on the Wine Route. Would love to hear everyone’s suggestions. The best thing WK has done is to shed light on the wonderful work being done outside the trophy producers.

5 Likes

Bought some of the 2019 but will keep an eye out for the 2020 now, as well. Great wines.

2 Likes

I have four of these coming. Clos des Roc Pouilly-Loche is great too. We’re going to Burgundy this Fall, and I plan on spending at least a couple of days in the Macon area.

3 Likes

I have always had a soft spot for whites from Rully. Affordable and delicious, and from quite a few producers. Vire-Clesse as well.

For Oregon, I feel like the past three years of abysmal yields are really limiting the options for good introductory wines. I’m hopeful that we can get back on track to normal and that making a Willamette Valley bottling can happen again.

2 Likes

Mass market, widely available, lacks fancy reviews…but I like them

3 Likes

I disagree that Chablis has skyrocketed. There are many outstanding producers and wines at very reasonable prices in Chablis.

8 Likes

If I might make a recommendation from my time in France last year: Domaine Frantz Chagnoleau Saint Véran ‘Pré Jaux’

2 Likes

Well worth doing - beautiful countryside, some good restaurants, and domaines that are much easier to visit than those in the grander villages of the Côte d’Or.

7 Likes

Not $40 but Marc Morey Chassagne Montrachet en Virondots. You won’t drink better no matter how much money you spend. You can find this for a reasonable price.

6 Likes

$40 can be a tough bar. $50 a little easier.
But Francois Lumpp and Bruno Lorenzon are good in that ballpark or a little more coin.
Sorry, I hate it when someone asks a direct question and the posts offer answers that don’t meat the parameters, but that’s the best i got at the moment.
Oh, and the Pouilly Fuisee wine from JJ Vincent
PS: Chateau des Quarts- just wait for a sale.

1 Like

Of the producers I import, top white Burg value plays:
Barraud Maconnais wines
Guillot Broux Maconnais wines
Goisot Chablis/Saint Bris
Bourgogne blanc from Côte d’Or producers (Latour-Giraud, Alvina Pernot, Ch de la Maltroye, Georges Glantenay etc)
Jean Javillier in Meursault!
Lots of goodness to be had.

6 Likes

I have found the Jacques Saumaize wines to be very strong contenders in the $30-40 range. The st veran en crèches VV was silly good for $28 a few months back.

2 Likes

excited to follow this thread. I get lost on what’s good vs not and what’s changing in the Macon very easily. will have to read William’s breakdown as well.

2 Likes

Just ordered some Chablis from, Jean Dauvissat Pere & Fils

1 Like

Besides Janthial, who else in Rully have you liked? I actually got turned onto Rully from a Marc Morey bottle but of course he is not there.

1 Like

Jacquesson, Chanzy Freres can be quite good, and Domaine de La Folie for Rully’s. I’d add
Eric Forest and Olivier Merlin for Pouilly Fuisse ier crus.

Really good suggestions above from Dennis re Chateau de Quarts, and Don Cornutt for the win with Virondots.

1 Like

2020 Pierre Girardin Bourgogne Blanc Eclat de Calcaire and can still be found for under $40.

5 Likes

Saturday night I had a delicious bottle of '20 Bachelier Chablis VV – which cost me $27! Raveneau it’s not. And it’s on the reductive side. But good grief, it’s proper, concentrated White Burg for less than $30.

2 Likes