I'm Liking These '21 Bojo's

Been tucking into a few ‘21’s from Desvignes of late. I’m really liking the energy and vitality of these wines.

2021 Louis Claude Desvignes Morgon Montpelain: A nose of smoky mineral and red fruits. The palate is relatively lean, with crunchy red fruits and plenty of mineral action. It is silky, light on its feet and energetic.

2021 Louis Claude Desvignes Morgon Javernières : Complex aromatics of sandalwood, raspberry, rose petals and granite. It is crisp and detailed but has mid-palate flesh. Minerally structure underpins and it has tart berry crunch. Delicious stuff!

2021 Louis Claude Desvignes Morgon Corcelette: This is all cherry red and paisley florals. Its silky, sensual and delightful. There’s perfume with poise and flesh that is contained. A joyful drink.

7 Likes

‘Love this producer and pleased to hear 2021 tastes good.
However, prices have jumped a good bit - they’re worth it but . . .
Best, Jim

1 Like

What’s the overall thought about the quality of the 2021 vintage for Bojos? I still have a bunch of 2009 and 2010 bottles to drink through, but always looking for more stuff.

1 Like

bet there will be Morgon after people read your review.

2 Likes

Keep your day job . . .:sunglasses:

1 Like

This thread will surely create a fleurie of sales.

2 Likes

It’s Amour, eh!

Character seems generally refreshing, with tart fruit and plenty of acidity – a vintage for people who like classics like 2011 and 2014. Quality, according to @William_Kelley is variable, with some dilute wines. That’s been very much my experience, even within the wines of a single producer (Brun). So far, I don’t think this is a great vintage, but I think it’s a nice vintage for those who want to buy selectively and possibly cellar some wines. The fact that it comes across as a cooler vintage is particularly appealing to those of us who miss that style, which seems to be getting rare in Beaujolais.

5 Likes

Based on how well these '21’s showed, the critics may have to eat humble Py with regards to their vintage assessments.

3 Likes

JP Brun Morgon Côtes du Py – Javenières Was a mess. Poured down the drain. I haven’t tasted broadly from the vintage, but that was a really unpleasant surprise. If Brun can do so badly on any wine in this vintage, I suspect there could be quite a few other misses.

1 Like

Make it stop!

3 Likes

The Javernières was quite tangy and tightly wound when I tried it at the estate, but it seemed to have good potential. What didn’t you like about it?

If you started with Desvignes, you’re going to struggle to do much better, as they made some of the wines of the vintage.

3 Likes

Ours was extremely green – not just herbal but overwhelmingly vegetal. This was a big surprise from Brun, whose wines I’ve liked for quite a few years and have never seemed to have this issue. The Morgon was beautiful, but tightly wound, when I tried it. Grille du Midi had some herbal notes that were well integrated and added welcome complexity. Javenières had none of the charm of these other bottlings.

Some fun puns broillying here!

2 Likes

Opened a 2021 Javernieres tonight after only 24 hours since delivery and Jeremy nailed it. This is very fine and character driven.
I will save some for tomorrow but right now, I’m quite pleased to have ordered more than one.

1 Like

Cheers Jim. I opened another one and it is my kind of Bojo.

2 Likes

You’ve got your Bojo working

3 Likes

Had a bottle of 2021 Daniel Bouland Morgon Corcelette Vieilles Vignes Sable last night. It certainly doesn’t have the intensity or mid-palate flesh of the '20, but I prefer it as a drink over the '20.