If you could only buy one Riesling...

Aren’t you in Jersey?

Huh, you’re right. I still forget sometimes, especially since Jersey City really seems like another borough on occasion.

You guys are too much…
I LIKE DONNHOFF.
I LIKE PRUM.
Saying that they both owe a big part of their prestige to the American market is not talking down to anybody.
Reel in the ego a bit.
This is not a personal affront, unless you choose to make it one, paper tigers and all…

What does Salil know?

He is my life counselor…

Hirtzberger Singerriedel Smaragd (so as not to bore you with Clos St. Hune)

Talk about poor life choices :wink:

well, since my old favourite Kallstadter Saumagen Auslese Trocken from Koehler-Ruprecht seems to be a vanishing species,
I will raise another glass to the Wachau, and say Rudi Pichler Achleithen Smaragd.

it’s just does it for me. I am trying not to touch mine for a few years.
The young bottles I have had have all been outstanding and the older ones outstanding plus.

Robert, I’m interested in why you bring up history. Is that really relevant?

I’m confident Katerina can make pretty good wines for the next few decades irrelevent of how her great grandfather did.

It’s like my grandpa used to say, “If it’s not made in America, then I don’t need it.”

Trisaetum Estates Reserve Dry Reisling

Being bombed at Pearl Harbor may have affected his world view.

Agreed. Excellent idea.

But, if I had to pick one, right now it would be Zilliken Rausch Spatlese (possibly followed by Zilliken Rausch Auslese and Zilliken Rausch Kabinett).

Others on my short list would be:

Maximin Grunhauser Abtsberg Spatlese
Rheinhold Haart Piesporter Goldtropfchen Kabinett
JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese (Robert, I completely disagree with you about Prum. Absolutely love the wines, esp. with age).
Selbach Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Spatlese
Schloss Lieser niederberg helden GC Auslese
Albert Mann Schlossberg
Trimbach Clos St. Hune

You were bombed at Pearl Harbor? Surprised you are still drinking at your age.

Your attitude is how 1000 year feuds get started.

If Salil were your life counselor, you would be drinking more Truchot.

Howard, what did I say that you disagree with?

“I adore the wines, but find it a little bit odd how tunnel vision people can be in worshiping them, even when some people have no idea why, the hype putting the cart in front of the horse (the majority!”

Maybe I am reading too much into this but it seems like you are saying that while the wines are excellent, they don’t deserve a place ahead of a lot of other excellent wineries. I think that they deserve their status as a really top of the heap German wine producer. They have been making great wines for a long time (which lends a bit of extra confidence in knowing how the wines will age), they age unbelievably well, etc. In other words, they have all the attributes of a first growth, of a Latour of Germany. Other estates may be the newest kids on the block and get all the excitement (le Pin or Keller), but Prum is a first growth and deserves to be. For anyone who does not want to study German wines and learn what is good and what is not, why not have tunnel vision on Prum. After all, unlike Latour, Prum is really reasonably priced. I cannot think of a wine of this stature, this consistent quality over decades, etc., that is priced like Prum.

There’s certainly been a well planned and clear transition at Zilliken, kudos to Hanno and Dorothee.

I totally agree with Howard on Prum, the wines are no brainer purchases for lovers of the middle Mosel year after year. I’d certainly couldn’t argue with anyone who called Prum the best estate in the region or even country.

I see now.
I was not positing ANYTHING contrary to the great quality at Prum, just that I encounter a strong disconnect between some consumers/tradespeople actually knowing WHY they are so good with hands on experience to ground the “legend”, which is a bit of an anomaly, I find. I don’t think it an exaggeration to say that the experience of individuals on this board may be greater and more hands on than among the general public.
As to why I mentioned the historical stuff, it is simply because I found it interesting in learning as much on my recent visit. I asked, “How long has Prum been celebrated as the star it is today?” and was told of the history.
That’s all.
Intellectual edification.
Another historical wrinkle: the reason that post WWII there was a huge void in the German wine merchant class was that the majority of wine merchants were jews, and poof, no more jews. Schoonmaker entered and filled that void, so I am told.

Well, I suppose that’s one way to put it.

Robert, are you forgetting where you are? Egos are huge, members look to be indignant even if they have to stretch the wording of a post to get there, and everyone is a paper tiger (except Todd… and maybe Fu and Jorge).