If you could only buy one Riesling...

Difficult question. Even if I ignore the price, If I say Egon Müller Scharzhofberger Goldkap Auction I would have no everyday Riesling. This is not an everyday wine, regardless how rich you are. Same for big dry like Smaragd, GG (here I would choose Dönnhoffs Hermannshöhle), Saumagen Auslese trocken R, Alsace Grand Cru (Albert Mann Schlossberg).
The perfect everyday Riesling is the type Kabinett or lighter Spätlese, be it dry or sweet. Consistent sweet ones are JJ Prüm WS, Egon Müller Scharzhofberger, Weiser-Künstler, Grünhaus, Zilliken. Here I would choose Egon Müller, but age it. Dry light is more difficult. Masters of this style are Andreas Laible, Moosbacher, Grünhaus, Martin Müllen, Kesseler. I would choose Grünhaus.

You must either have a huge allocation or be willing to drink not much!

:wink:

This is where I land. I really do prefer a dry Kabinett. These two Kabinetts, Schaefer and Donnhoff, are top-tier. Toss in some Prum, and you have a hard choice to limit to one. I prolly drink these two Kabinetts you highlight more than any other, Prum a bit behind but in 3rd.

I asked my wife about this question, and she said the Berg Roseneck as well.

I would have a long debate between J. J. Prum WS Spätlese, Donnhoff Hermannshohle Spätlese and Egon Muller Spätlese and probably opt for the Donnhoff.

Egon Mueller Scharzhofberger Spatlese.

Serious consideration given however, to Donnhoff Hermannshohle spat or GG, Emrich Schonleber Halenberg GG, or some Karthauserhof bottlings I really enjoy.

Phew this thread has made me so happy for the diversity of Rieslings I can buy! Will prob pop a Hermannshohle tonight and look in on one.

Given the current distribution of vintages in my cellar, my answer is apparently Hirtzberger Hochrain Smaragd.

Definitely a GG - we almost never drink the sweets anymore, even at kabinett level. Either Keller Abtserde or Schonleber Halenberg, probably.

This is it for me too. G-Max is too expensive and hard to find, and in the only vintage I’ve had both ('07), I thought the Abtserde GG was extremely close to the same level of G-Max. It’s tempting to say something like Prum Auslese Goldkap, but I drink far more trocken than not.

I find that Prum Rieslings (which aren’t overly sweet to begin) become slightly drier while complexity and minerality becomes more present as they age. All this happens while the wine maintains its acidity. To me, Prums age better than some of the more modern German producers who have a bit more residual sugar.

If somebody told me I had to choose just one, i’d bash them on the head with a German fluted magnum and enjoy the peacock’s tail of producer, regional, vineyard site, and dry/prädikat diversity in spite of their limitation.
:0
Sorry for not playing nice…

As to Prum, indeed, they follow the classical Prädikat guidelines, without making Spätlese level Kabinett, and Auslese level Spätlese.
I adore the wines, but find it a little bit odd how tunnel vision people can be in worshiping them, even when some people have no idea why, the hype putting the cart in front of the horse (the majority! of the tradespeople on my April trip had never even tasted most of the Prum wines, and didn’t know much about them. I find that commonly among consumers as well…) Interestingly enough, Prum (and the Wehlener Sonnenuhr) was not a famous estate until Schoonmaker started making their reputation in the US after the 2nd WW. And interestingly enough, as far as I understand it, Donnhoff wasn’t so very famous until Terry started making their reputation in the US. Interesting, no? :0
Prum fans will be PSYCHED with the '15s. Tasted with Katharina Prum last month. Was pressing the internal “Holy sh!t” button (my eyes start to bug out of my head, so you can visibly sense the internal pressure) from the first few kabinetts on…Crystallllllinne!!!..Mags of most everything will be offered. :0
[cheers.gif]

It’s about the effortless balance of Prum wines when it comes to aging potential. There are other producers who achieve that level of balance in their Spatlesen. After that it comes down to stylistic preferences. As folks generally know, I happen to love Donnhoff wines at an age when the NY contingent considers them past their peak.

Nice job of talking down Donnhoff in favor of a producer you sell Robert.

Schafer-frohlich felseneck spat.

I’m not talking anyone down, David.
I’m stating historical fact, doing the same as for Prum, a producer I sell.
Both estates owe a big part of their prestige to the American market.
In this light, your jab doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me, David.

[truce.gif]

Oh it makes perfect $en$e. :wink:

Oh veh.
You troublemaker, you.
Did you start fights when you were in grade school by being a smart alec?

Not just talking down the wines, David, but those of us who happen to adore them.

for my $$$ Egon Müller Scharzhofberger Kabinett

Hey! No profiling allowed on this board!

Why? Salil says the same. It’s a lot of extra coin. Worth the stretch? Thanks!

If it were just for me I’d agree with you, but since Kabinetts are a little too high in alcohol for Arnold I’d also go with the Spatlese. Though I’d have to think more about deciding between WS and GD. If price was no object, Egon Muller Auction Spatlese sounds fine to me too :slight_smile:. And would I really buy Prum or Willi Schaefer? 15 year ago I would have said Muller Catoir Haardter Burgergarten Riesling Spatlese but that ship has sailed.

Well, it would definitely be a Spatlese anyway.