If I could only visit one culinary destination in Europe, it would be Galicia

TO BEGIN:

My husband and I went to the Basque Country, both French and Spanish, for the first time before we got married, driving up the Costa Brava, turning west into France, passing through Carcassone, Osses, St Jean Pied de Port and other little towns, visiting wineries of Irouleguy and Jurancon, before ending up back in Spain, with San Sebastian our last port of call. This trip began our love affair with San Sebastian, which I have documented on this board, and we have been visiting every year around the same time to enjoy the bounty of seafood and produce sourced locally. As we learned more and more, we noticed a trend – whenever we asked “where do these prawns come from?” Or “What is the source of this amazing beef?” The answer was almost always “Oh, those are from Galicia!” So we determined that, since we loved what came from Galicia so much, we’d have to visit the Motherland herself. We made our first visit to Galicia last year, and were immediately hooked.

We base ourselves just outside the town of Santiago de Compostela, where the famous cathedral draws pilgrims and hikers from around the globe. The whole region of Galicia is small, and most towns can be reached from this central point within an hour’s drive. Santiago is particularly appealing, with a beautiful old quarter, large and thriving market, and a dedication to typical Galician food possibly unrivaled in the region.

One of the first things one notices upon dipping a toe into the Galician food scene is how inexpensive everything is. In the Santiago market, there is both a restaurant and a less formal tapas bar called Abastos 2.0, owned by the same restaurant group with a place in Madrid and another (more to follow!) at the seaside in Carill. The tasting menu at the counter in the market – preferable, in our opinion, to the indoor restaurant – is 21 EUR and consists of two raw seafood courses, a few tapas and a “main course” plus a dessert. Each is carefully prepared, using the freshest, high quality local ingredients. The razor clams were prepared sous vide, we were told, cooked at 64 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes, in their shells, then treated only with lemon and sea salt. They were perfection, as was the “empanada” of mackerel, red peppers and onions, served on a crispy fried pastry disk and topped with olive oil. We knew from previous visits that, if the octopus wasn’t part of the menu, we should order it separately, which we did. It was tender inside, crisp seared on the outside, and accompanied by a few slices of hot, roasted potatoes. The extra course cost us 12 EUR, and the bottle of balanced and slurpable Albarino was another 18EUR. That, with a round of the local version of gin and tonics, brought us to a grand total of 85 EUR. If you know how to spend well under 100 EUR for a sophisticated and delicious, not to mention filling, meal, including a bottle of wine and cocktails, in Europe and do better than this, I’d love to know where! We went back the next day.

On the recommendation of a friend who runs a top pintxos bar in San Sebastian, we booked dinner Friday night at a Michelin recommended restaurant about 30 minutes from Santiago called O Balado. All the reviews and articles made it clear that this place was decidedly family owned/run and located in a remote farmhouse. Having been to many examples of remote farmhouse restaurants – some more remote than others – we were prepared for just about anything. Still, we might have missed it except for a professionally designed, though discrete, sign indicating where to park. We turned in, and left the car in the empty lot (our booking was for 8:30 and we were the first diners there – a couple was just sitting down when we left at 11), adjacent to a field containing a goodly number of brown sheep, confident we were in the right place. Even knowing that, however, it was difficult to reconcile the notion of a Michelin recognized restaurant with the white clapboard house, complete with a dilapidated swing set and plastic children’s tricycles strewn about. We peeked our heads through the door, and found ourselves in a cozy room containing a huge open fireplace and 5-6 small tables. Each table had one chair draped with a knit shawl – one assumes it can get cold in that kind of drafty house – and the windowsills were lined with empty wine bottles. We spotted one champagne, but other than that, all of them (and there were a LOT) were local reds and whites.

Marta, the lovely owner who greeted us, spoke maybe 5 word of English, which is about the amount of Spanish we speak. The chef, she conveyed, only speaks Gallagos, the local dialect, so that was no help at all. With the help of Google Translate, we managed to get across that we eat everything, and wanted to drink whatever she thought was best with the food. She nodded sagaciously, and brought out two local whites, one which cost 19 EUR and the other 18EUR. We asked her to choose, which she did without hesitation. What followed was the epitome of respect for local ingredients, prepared with skill and appreciation – butter made in house, cheese the same, using milk from their own sheep and goats. Salmon smoked in the huge open fireplace. Lamprey first smoked then roasted in the fireplace. Lamb ribs. Percebes. Gallician beef….everything came from the surrounding region, and most was made by the chef. One dish stood out from the rest – a simple croquettes or cuttlefish ink and potato. So often, squid ink might as well be food coloring, it’s so in the background. This highlighted the briny, deep, dusky taste of the ink, lifting it with delicate panko breading and perfect texture. We agreed that this dish was among the highlights of recent memory.

To try and convey the earnest, down to earth quality of the restaurants here, and this one in particular, let me tell you a story about choosing the red wine. When the menu seemed to be switching to meat, we asked about a red, saying we didn’t like too much oak. Marta brought out a few choices (no written wine list, apparently), but we weren’t excited about them. We saw an empty bottle from a producer that we like and pointed to it questioningly. She nodded and disappeared, to return a few minutes later with a bottle we know and like. We smiled, nodded, gave the thumbs up. She seemed concerned and asked for my phone so she could type something in the translate program. She wanted us to know that this wine cost more than the others – 25 EUR. Was that ok? It was incredibly sweet, and not the least bit affected. She was just concerned since it was expensive compared to the other wines she had offered.

We left feeling wonderful – excellent, honest food, with deep flavors and serious ingredients, not fussed with in the least. An incredibly comfortable setting (we heard their kids stomping around upstairs during dinner, which embarrassed her but didn’t bother us in the least), warm and friendly service despite no common language, and that certain je ne sais quoi that roots a place in your heart. And, might I add – the entire meal with two bottles of wine for both of us was 135 EUR. The menu we ordered was 40 EUR, but we replaced dessert with an extra savory which cost a bit extra, and had coffee afterwards. Tough to beat that. We’ll be going back next year for sure. The world needs more restaurants like this one. And more restaurateurs who understand how to make guests feel welcome.

Wow, great review, Sarah! I almost feel as if I had been there myself, your descriptions are so detailed and well-written. Thanks for all the effort you put into that.

Just curious what the wines were. Anything that’s available in the US? I’m always looking for out-of-the-way but interesting wines, especially with good QPR, which these certainly have.

Photos? And thank you.

wonderful story.

Glenn - I know you are active on FB, you can check out Sarah’s amazing photos there.

Thanks for sharing you story. We visited relatives in Spain years ago and were amazed at restaurant quality and price when you are away from the tourist areas.

Bob

Sounds great. Is it easy to arrange transportation to these remote settings?

We had a great few days in San Sebastián a couple of years ago.

Incredible. I love eating in Spain, especially San Sebastian. I’ve added Galicia to my list.

I love Galicia too. Thanks for posting this Sarah. On one of my very first trips to Spain we visited Santiago de Compostela. We were fortunate to stay in the Parador de Santiago, known as the Hostal dos Reis Católicos.

The Parador is just to the left of the Cathedral and it is absolutely breathtaking.

*note these photos are borrowed from the internet. The photo of the room is the actual suite we stayed in and is right in the front with sunning views of the Cathedral.
parador-de-santiago-hostal-reis-catolicos-santiago-de-compostela-025.jpg
parador-de-santiago-de-compostela-santiago-de-compostela_big.jpg

Had a 56 day dry aged rib eye from Galicia and it was one of the best pieces of beef I ever ate. Would love to visit

San Sebastian is wonderful, and we’re heading there later in this trip, but I honestly might give the edge on food to Galicia.

It’s not that hard to get here if you are willing to connect. You fly to Madrid, and then there are various options for connection, Santiago and Vigo being the most frequent. You do need a car to get around, unless you’re willing to stay in just one town the whole time, which I think would be a shame. If you’re one of those people who need to be within walking distance of everywhere you’re going to eat, this is definitely not the region for you. Though there are options for taxis and car service, it’s not easy to arrange for going a long way, nor is the Uber equivalent that useful, as it’s based on where people are driving already. So it’s easy to get to Pontevedra from Santiago at 8 PM (about 45 minutes), for example, but not so easy to get back at midnight. I’m sure it can be arranged - pretty much everything can. We only looked into it briefly, asking the owner of our house rental kind of last minute. I’m sure with some planning it wouldn’t be that hard.

OK this thread is in the food section, so back to the subject at hand.

Day 2:

I generally prefer to book major meals at lunch rather than dinner for a few reasons. I enjoy a long, lazy, boozy lunch with time afterwards to relax, take a walk, nap if I want, read a book before going to bed, with the option of eating something else in the evening or not. I don’t really like falling directly into bed from dinner which starts at 9PM and ends after midnight. Also, often if I have a special dinner reservation, I end up eating a significant lunch anyway, despite promises to myself that I won’t, and am not that hungry when dinner rolls around. And of course there’s the matter of a view, which is often much better during the day than at night. So it was pretty unusual for us to have dinner booked two nights in a row, with O Balado on Friday (kind of a last minute booking, and so glad we did!) and a place we visited on our first trip here called Casa Solla, located on the outskirts of the coastal town of Pontevedra. We visited the market in the morning to lay in supplies for cooking at home both Sunday and Monday nights, when many restaurants are closed, of course hitting Abastos 2.0 again, and also visiting an old school pinchos bar called Gato Negro, where they have some terrific seafood and even better chorizo in red wine. I was a little afraid I wouldn’t be up for dinner, but managed to rally when the time came to leave for the restaurant, about 45 minutes away from our house.

Back to the topic of driving for a minute - I really don’t mind driving to and from meals in this area. Once on the highways, the roads are very well maintained, clearly marked, and wind through some stunning countryside. Sure, it means I drink sparingly during the meal, but that’s not so bad, knowing there is more wine and the makings of cocktails back home. The drive to Casa Solla was easy (coordinates saved in our GPS from last time!) and we arrived right on time for a 9 PM booking. The restaurant is perched at the top of a small hill on a fairly large road coming out of town, in an old stone house. The back is mostly glass, giving diners a view over the manicured back garden and an expanse of fields beyond. Some goats were gamboling about in the nearest field and they looked happy. And delicious.

If you look at the website for Casa Solla, don’t be put off by the silly picture of the chef. He’s really a very friendly and easy going guy, and we spent a while talking with him after our first meal last year. The rest of the staff has a bit of the Spanish stiffness and formality, which I think they will work through in Galicia once they start getting more regular international visitors. It’s certainly not a bad as Madrid! We got some laughter and softening from them eventually, though I think they still thought we were a bit crazy. The room is spare and elegant, with clean-line design and some large modern sculptures. The tables are large and spaced nicely, so the room feels abuzz, but never loud. My only complaint is that the chairs have arms that won’t fit under the table, so little people like me are forced to either perch on the edge of the seat throughout the meal, or sit back and have a huge expanse of lap between table and mouth. Makes one wonder if anyone ever tried the furniture out before buying them, or just liked the way they looked.

The wine list, like many in the region, focuses heavily on local varieties, with page upon page of Albarinos and Riberas on offer. They understand their food well, and the white selections far outnumber the red. We still saw many people drinking red wine, which is, of course, fine, but makes me shake my head since I happen to think red with most shellfish is disgusting. Anyway….We almost always drink local, but this evening noticed a bottle among the well-chosen German and Austrian selections of 1993 Nikolaihof Gruner Veltliner Vinothek, and couldn’t resist. The wine was glorious with menu, which was typically seafood-centric, but we would have been well served by any number of the local wines as well, nearly all priced below 45 EUR.

Since we’d had that larger-than-intended lunch earlier in the day, we chose the lesser of their two set menus (a la carte options are also available) which was 79 EUR, as opposed to the 108 EUR Grand Menu. We had no complaints or regrets – course after course of mostly seafood and one pork dish left us delighted in mind and stomach, and not the least bit hungry. As usual, we asked to skip dessert, and they happily accommodated our request to add an extra savory course. Once again, I can’t think of many restaurants in the world where I can dine at this level of refinement, skill, inspiration and consummate understanding of ingredients for prices like this. Everything from the amuses bouches through the migrandises was delicious, with special shouts out to the butter, made from Galician cow’s milk, and a dish of cured mackerel in a broth of passionfruit kissed with chili. As one would expect from a restaurant of this quality, all the ceramics and silver were unique and beautiful, so much so that we asked for the name of one of the producers so we could see about purchasing something for our own kitchen. The plating on all of the courses was very attractive, and never fell into the trap of looking like “toy food” despite some delicate and playful touches. Both my husband and I thought the level of cooking was even higher than the meal we had there last year, and noticed that the service had tightened up as well. Prices has been raised slightly from last year, which I imagine will keep happening. Right now, fine dining is new enough in Galicia that they cannot charge too much, as people who live there will simply not pay it, as the chef explained to us last year. But as more and more people visit from abroad, that will change, and the days of the incredible sub-100 EUR tasting menu will be far behind us.
20160528_212921.jpg
20160528_213344.jpg
20160528_214116.jpg

Thanks Robert. The WiFi was slow and it was taking too long to post pictures. I’ll try and go back.

This sounds really nice. I might have to check this region out.

Thanks Sarah - this is exactly why I love to travel so much, to find these special places that exist all over the world. I feel sorry for people that don’t leave their comfort zone and experience what the world has to offer - I have many friends that fall into this category and a few that I have helped give the nudge to try it and are now hooked as well.

One of the best trips ever for my wife and I was a 3 day visit to the San Sebastian area where we hired a private guide for the entire time. I felt really guilty at first for the amount of $ we spent but inevitably it was the best travel money ever spent. This gal knew her food and we experienced the best foodie tour I could ever imagine. From the smallest little Pintxos bar to ***Michelin followed by bar hopping late into the night sipping G&T’s.

The Galicia area sounds like the next destination on my radar. Thank you for taking the time to write this up, I have some catching up to do on a recent trip through Sicily and this motivates me to get cracking!

Thanks for the great stories Sarah!

DAY 3:

We slept uncharacteristically late on Sunday, taking advantage of a rainy morning and a dark bedroom, and didn’t emerge to the kitchen for coffee until nearly 9:00AM. Fortunately, our plans for Sunday consisted only of a reservation for lunch at Abastos 2.0’s Carril location, called O Loxe Mareriro. We remembered this place fondly from last year, when a confluence of perfect weather, great friendly service and excellent food made us serious devotees. The rain indicated we might not have as perfect a day, nor be able to begin our meal with a glass of Albarino and tapas outside, but the sun managed to peek through the clouds now and again during our 45 minute drive, and made a strong show of it when we arrived, albeit with some serious wind attached.

This tiny, sun-washed (when the sun cooperates) restaurant sits right on the harbor in the town of Carril. Its thick white walls keep the light inside low and the temperature cool. There is a small bar and a few tables in the front room, but the real magic takes place at the communal table in the kitchen. We were the only ones there for most of our meal, though places were set for 4 more at the other end. We were almost within touching distance of the 3 people, including the young, round-faced chef we remembered from last year, working assiduously in the kitchen. As always with the restaurants in this group, everyone beamed when they saw us, and went out of their way to welcome us and see to our needs. Wine, vermouth, cocktails, water….what did we want first? We began with a glass of the house Albarino, which we know from our visits to their marketplace location. We followed that with a lovely bottle of white from a producer we’ve come to like, only this one had some age on it and proved to be much more lush and complex than the more attenuated, though still quite good, 2013 we’d had the day before.

The food began strong with local olive oil and absolutely terrific homemade brown bread, just the way I like it – chewy crumb and crackling crust, nicely browned – and I had to push it to the far edge of my reach to avoid gobbling it up before the regular courses even began. When the first plate of shellfish arrived, including cockles, oysters and percebes (already out of their “condoms”) accompanied by sea greens and a light fish broth, I knew we were off and running. There was a meringue of sea water with uni mayonnaise and seaweed, a slice of savory pie with red mullet and fennel fronds, a deeply flavorful fish soup with local vegetables and an inspired olive oil caramel that was thin as a sheet of gelatin. There was mackerel with rhubarb, and cigalas (crawfish) and oyster with roast cauliflower and a root vegetable we’d never heard of and a delicious slice of lamb and perfectly cooked hake with salsify and a stunning dessert of fresh strawberries with all sorts of strawberry accoutrements. We watched each dish being prepared and plated just for us for the majority of the meal. We talked in depth about the ingredients – or as in depth as we could get with little common language (Google Translate helped) – and when was the best time of year to find them. It’s a cliché to say this, but I want to use the word magical about O Loxe Mareiro: the sun, the smell of salt and seaweed from the harbor, the plethora of delicious food made right there, and the friendly, excited, welcoming staff. It doesn’t get much better. And for 40 EUR, it’s a superb value. And the front of house is so delightful at this whole restaurant group, they must deliberately hire for warmth and charm. It’s very genuine, though. As an example, tonight, Jonathan and I ran into a woman in a wine shop preparing to host a formal tasting of Galician wine. We recognized her, but weren’t sure from where. She, however, immediately recognized us and remembered she’d been our waitress at Abastos 2.0 one day last year. She’s no longer with the restaurant, but was still so genuinely pleased to see us returning to Santiago. It was lovely.

Of real note is that here, like at the other places we visited for the second time this trip, the chef seems to have taken a step forward in confidence and technique. Something is happening as this region starts to get recognized not only for great ingredients, but for truly excellent cooking. The chefs are rising to the occasion and pushing themselves. We asked and were told they still don’t get very many Americans, mostly Spanish, Brits and Germans, with a few Japanese (the only other place in the world with seafood of this quality, if you ask me). This is a key moment in the development of Galicia as a food destination, I think. It will always be a bit harder than some others, because it is remote and there’s not much to do around here other than eat and hike. And I think that’s a good thing. I’m not ready for Galicia to be overrun by guidebook-clutching tourists on the trail of Michelin stars just yet.
20160529_135455.jpg
20160529_141616.jpg
20160529_143726.jpg

Feel a strong need to book a flight right now. Wow.

googled Galicia and found all kinds of interesting sites: Top 20 Best Restaurants in Galicia, Spain - David's Been Here

Yes, Alan. I used his website as well. Unfortunately, his taste in food and mine do not always coincide. He seems to be more impressed by highly designed spaces than food. I mostly relied on the recommendations of friends who run one of the best pintxos bars in San Sebastian, as well as my instincts and my husband’s nose gor great cooking. But that site is certainly worth a read.

Splendid site.