Ideas for my first ever trip to Oregon Wine Country?

Eric Hamacher makes very good to excellent Pinot. Most wines served at the Studio are OK, but rarely better, IMHO. Pretty sure Andrew Rich made wine there, along with his assistant Justin (J. Daan). I’ve enjoyed offerings from both of them.

RT

They’ve got a vigorous population of brett at the Studio, some winemakers can minimize the chances of it blooming while others are a mess. It’s a good thing Cana’s Feast is upwind. :slight_smile:

Haven’t been for several years and while like Rich I have enjoyed both Hamacher and Andrew Rich, I don’t see much there on the list to attract me. But that could just be ignorance I guess. I think you’ll find a much better cross section at his other recommendation - Oregon Wines on Broadway. I had my maiden voyage with both Et Fille and Walter Scott there recently, and they had 2 Camerons available for tasting. We did try to stop in at the SE Wine Collective last time we were down, but unfortunately they were closed for an unannounced private event. We had to settle for Division Wines nearby, which was a nice shop.

Division Wines is indeed a good shop with a good selection. I recommend E&R Wines too, they’ve got a very nice Oregon PN selection and lots of other great stuff. OWB is a great go-to stop downtown, that’s for sure.

J, let me know when you’re down again and let’s connect at the SE Wine Collective. Sorry it was closed when you stopped by.

Thanks for all the ideas!

Sometimes after a day of wine tasting you need a break, and the Red Hills Market in Dundee has wood fired pizza and an excellent beer selection. Heater Allen in McMinville is worth a visit too.
Just be sure to avoid approaching Dundee via Hwy.99 from the south on a weekend.

The Le Cadeau tasting room is a half block from the Red Hills Market, but I’m sure Tom and Deb would be happy to arrange a tour of the vineyards if you ask.

Last time I was at the Carlton Wine Studio, Robert Brittan’s wines were one of the offerings.

P Hickner

use your magic powers and find John Thomas. and ask for a sample of the 13, I’m already buying, but would like to know if I need to reach extra deep

It’s easy to call his answering machine. Whether he responds positively is a different matter. I’ve only managed to get one visit – 6 years ago.

Excellent recommendations that I will use this summer. I’ll be in OR at least 2x in the upcoming months so I’ll be mapping out some of these recommendations for my trips. The Abbey Road Farm looks to be an interesting place to stay for a weekend. Thanks for posting Roy, big help.

Walter Scott and Matello would be great visits - the wines and people are great. You would need to contact the wineries first.
As for dining in wine country, old-school establishments Tina’s and Red Hills Provincial Dining are still great bets.

I’m going to haul my daughter and family out to the valley at the end of the month. Hamina, Matello, Cameron and I think Domaine Drouhin are due, then on to Carlton, up to Elk Cove and Kramer. That’s a long day with grand kids! I know leave them home with grandma! [snort.gif]

I’ll second Antica Terra and Ayres, and add Steve Goff at Colene Clemens. Beautiful winery and great wines.

Go to Matello. Do not eat at the Grain Station. Eat at Nick’s.

Is Arterberry Maresh open for visits? Doing some interesting things, it seems.

I love this place! It was fantastic!

As for wines, I like Carlton Winemakers Studio. I’m a big fan of Ayoub (was at the CWS last time I went, but maybe has a winery now?), and Brittan. Also a fan of Alexana. Dom Drouhin is a must for a first-time Oregon visit, but not much after that. Domaine Serene makes me sad with how much of a Disneyland it is …

This.

Stayed in McMinnville today. Marcus Goodfellow hosted four of us at Matello. The lineup is quite strong. His Pinot Gris is the best I have tasted. The 2011 Durant pinot and Souris blends are very strong.

The Farmer’s Plate and Pantry in Carlton and Thistle in McMinnville were very strong.

Is that Nick’s Italian Cafe in McMinnville; I’ve never eaten there but hear it is very good.

Yes, eat there.