I won't go into specifics but...

Yep, we saw them on 5/11 at the Fox in Oakland. Fantastic show at a great venue.

We saw Derek with the ABB there in 09 I think. Incredible.

With Warren Haynes? I saw that show too. Outstanding.

We saw the Mountain Jam show that time around.

Ditto, I’ve had much more interesting PB than PG from Oregon.

Alto Adige as well as Alsace makes nice Pinot G.

Not saying all production from either locale is good.

I’ve always thought of both Susan Tedeschi and Derek Trucks (and their band) as blues artists, not R&R.

ok.

VERY few producers make PG in Oregon that is even comparable to Eyrie’s in quality. I don’t think it would be a shame at all if 80-90% of the wineries making it gave up.

Agreed!

Edited because I was thinking of Pinot Blanc.

This for me too.

Another possibility for sure. The demand for Chardonnay in Oregon seems to be much higher now than even 5 years ago.

Pinot Gris can still produce good quality at much higher yields than Chardonnay, so that balances it out a bit. A decent number of Napa Vintners have told me SB is far smarter to plant than Chardonnay since it can yield higher, and produce more juice per ton.

Echo, and espec. the 1988. Some of the great PG in the world is made here, Doug’s comment is likely fair, but I hope it won’t be a universal thing in Oregon that the vines get pulled.

Anyone want lossless audio files from T-T at The Paramount in Seattle from last month just reach out.

Excellent sound.

Agreed. I am surprised it hasn’t been ripped out faster? Are these sites not good for producing Chard or Pinot Noir? I can’t think of a single producer in Oregon where I liked their Pinot Gris better than their Chard.

John, years ago I had a really sensational Grauburgunder Eiswein from Donnhoff.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Get it while you can - the old vines aren’t doing super well. Expect a few changes moving forward. The Original Vines Pinot Noir bottling has already evolved to ‘The Eyrie’ labeling and the OVPG will see some changes in the future from what I’m told.

I may not like this post, but it’s mostly true.

I do not think Pinot Gris in the Willamette Valley can be as profound as Chardonnay or Riesling from the Willamette Valley. But I do think there is a place for it as a great grape. It’s versatility allows for a remarkable range of very lovely expressions…in the hands of a dedicated and talented producer.

It’s a challenging grape to do well, requiring a similar commitment to detail, effort, and understanding what the grapes need in order for the wine to be special. But Pinot Gris can be beautifully crisp and linear as a dry white wine, it can be beautifully textural fermented in acacia, and I really prefer the Ramato of Pinot Gris, that both Cameron and myself are doing, to 95% of the rose produced in Oregon(I still don’t understand why we are ripping out Gris while there’s a new crappy pink wine released every day). The Rouge de Gris from Vincent and Cameron are also both very distinct and very enjoyable wines. I prefer them to most Oregon Gamay, just because they seem to have a better resonance with old world savory wines than current Willamette Valley Gamay wines are achieving(I do like WV Gamay though, just not as much).

In the end, IMO, Pinot Gris is stuck between the rock of being made by every half talented winery and big production winery in Oregon because it’s almost always drinkable and relatively few average consumers are that familiar with wines from Germany, Alto Adige, or Friuli(so there’s low bar to jump over for most producers to make one and find it salable) and the hard place of a $25 maximum price point. I appreciate Rick and Jim’s asides for my wines, Eyrie, and Kelley Fox.

The reality for me is that I make no money what-so-ever on the reserve Pinot Gris. None. It’s fermented in $2000 apiece 800L acacia foudres, aged for 18 month, being topped and treated for that time just like Pinot Noir, and sells in Oregon for $20 because that’s what Pinot Gris costs, and I don’t have the time to paddle upstream to try and get someone to pay me $35 for the wine. Plus, it’s a really nice wine from a grape that compares reasonably with Melon de Bourgogne, and Clos de Briords is $25-28, so I don’t think $35 is smart.

That said, I grafted half of the Pinot Gris at Whistling Ridge over to Chardonnay clones from Clos Electrique this spring, and I doubt anyone will mind that change.