I’m 93 points on that [POLL]

Though I think the joke has gotten old, I’m in the “who cares” camp. If someone is interested in his real scores, they are easy to find on CT.

Well, my friend, me thinks that ‘circle’ is a little larger than a single person.

Yep, he posts his ‘real’ scores on CT - so what? Those that want to know ‘scores’ can go there and see how they align with his notes, and those that just want to enjoy his notes without scores can enjoy them here.

How many times have you read notes, Cris, where the ‘notes’ were leading to a ‘poor’ score only to have the actual score listed be 90+ points - or an ‘above average’ wine? I’ve seen this numerous times - usually on either ‘board faves’ or on wines that are a bit more expensive. Why? What makes that okay? Why not get up in arms over that?

Cheers.

You’re missing the point Larry. Supposedly it’s supposed to be about ignoring scores and paying attention to the notes.

Firstly, the points are made the center of attention by making them all the same. They stand out even to people who don’t pay attention to scores. How could you miss them in a lineup of wines all scored 93?

Secondly, we are lead to believe by the folks that need to tell people not to pay attention to the points that the real scoring is on CT. So which is it? The points are pointless or that real points require a little research? For shame on those wanting to be spoonfed.

But what do you think Larry? Is that exercise useful?

Wow, you actually took time to type that out? Mr. So, keep on keepin’ on.

The only thing that irritates me that bad is my five year old, this is just silly in comparison.

I can do as you suggest, Larry. What irks me is seeing the less obsessive visitor to this site inevitably ask the question: “Why are all the wines scored 93 points?” It gets tiresome.

It also strikes me as a bit narcissistic and self-defeating to repeat a tired joke – to willfully detract from the truly observant and valuable impressions conveyed in the notes themselves. It’s a useless distraction.

That said, I’m not losing any sleep over it. [cheers.gif]

Just consider it his signature - and it’s time to move on.

To me, this is truly a non-issue.

You want an issue to ‘get up in arms’ about? How about the continued ‘negative’ and ‘aggressive’ attitude on this board to newbies that make them never want to post . . . I cannot tell you how many folks I have met at my tasting room who ‘lurk’ only because they detest the ‘infighting’ that continues throughout numerous threads on this board.

THAT is an issue we can all get behind - and find a way to get more lurkers posting . . .

Cheers.

I want know how Adrian voted.

You sure posted a lot for a “non-issue”. Take a stand. [berserker.gif]

Adrian’s notes are quite informative. The 93 schtick neither adds nor detracts from that.

I fail to understand how internet behavior should be any different than in-person behavior. If this is how that person behaves face-to-face, then I would give them credit for consistency but still deem them a jerk. Like I said, I found the joke funny at first. Now it’s old. Those defending the behavior must never get irritated at someone who does that, and must find the behavior acceptable. And that’s fine. I just happen to disagree.

This entire thread is hilarious
84F25C08-E09F-4BE9-9DF8-17FCE9CDA4F7.jpeg

+1. However every now and then I still get amused about the schtick. I guess I should not be surprised since I am the kind of person who could laugh again and again whenever I hear “Chris Waddle” or “Scorchio”.

Only the shadow knows.

My point is, enjoy the positive, ignore the (perceived) negative, smile, laugh, drink wine. And repeat.

Adrian basically ruined Brian’s week ;p.

I mean this in the best possible way, as people who I know and respect have chimed in on both sides, but why is this such a big deal?

If you value the notes, you will read them regardless of the scores. If the scores bother you more than you value the notes, then don’t read them. If you are claiming confusion despite knowing his practice, that seems a bit disingenuous. And if you’re concerned about the scores confusing others - thanks but it takes all of 30 seconds, if that, to figure out.

This is simply not a case of someone forcing the same joke on you, and the internet vs in-person distinction matters. The board lists both the title of the thread and who initiated it. If you are that irritated then don’t click in.

We should think slightly beyond our own noses … this is not a private party, this is the internet …
and in google-times it´s easily possible that someone (foreign to this forum) googles a certain wine, comes across a (“meant-to-be”-funny!!!) tasting note with 93 points … and think this to be a great wine …
[shock.gif] [pwn.gif]

I have a very different imagination of “clever” …

[bullshit.gif]

Gerhard,

Are you really saying that in reading Adrian’s notes, you aren’t aware of this shtick by now? Can you really point to anybody here who isn’t aware? It may be a tiresome shtick to many, but it’s hardly an obtrusive one. To the extent that people still get irritated about it, I’d say, against what I would have guessed, that it still has life in it. When not a single person notices, then it will be dead.

Don’t worry. That person is still busy trying to make reservations at The Shed at Dulwich.

How true. The whole thing is a little too meta and passive-aggressive in its approach, striking me as a bit precious. Ultimately it fails and falls on him. But, as another poster said, I’m not losing sleep over it either.