I love Bonnes Mares

See, everyone? It’s hard to find a better buddy than 'Twan.

(Sorry for thread drift!)

Oh, and just for the record Drouhin makes a really good Bonnes Mares too.

Friends,

BONNES MAREs is a great wine indeed and often overlooked when compared to the mighty MUSIGNY. it is underrated at MUGNIER’s. Many wine writers find it to be too much on the light side. i disagree. Of course ROUMIER sets the standard but you also have BRUNO CLAIR, HUDELOT-BAILLET (a new player since D LE GUEN is in charge there), Vogüe (often misunderstood for producing Bordeaux-styled wines??? Give them time and you’re in for a treat), Berteau (light-styled wines. Some love 'em enormously )…enough choice. I forget so many others…Grivot once made a negoce-version but it was not up to his usual level of quality…
SINCERELY JOHAN

Tawse has a nice bonnes mares.

friends,

Just had a wonderful BONNES MARES G ROUMIER 2011 yesterday evening. Proof of the fact that 2011 offers an easy drinking experience. The BM was all smoothness. Power without weight. A perfectly balanced wine showing you do not have to wait ages for BONNES MAREs too come round provided you drink the right vintage. Years such as 97, 2007 and 2011 will provide aa marvellous experience with such great wines provided you drank them on the earlier side. It is therefore useless to judge them 20 years after the vintage and then see that the fruit has disappeared. Should have finished them within a relative shorter time after the vintage. Besides, a connoissseur such as Gilman stated that ROUMIER proved that 2011 was a vintage not to be neglected (forgot the exact evaluation but it was more or less like my statement)…
SINCERELY JOHAN

Agreed. Jadot makes an excellent Baudes.

I know that the common wisdom is that 1999s are still way too young, etc., but over the last year or so, all of a sudden every 1999 I have had has really sung.

FWIW, Johan…in all the years i’ve been paying attention to Burgundy (since my honeymoon in 1983), I’ve never experienced a vintage like you describe…that it was too late. If anything, I’ve become more and more convinced that most wines are consumed way too early, given that one is paying for their majestic potential to age into beautiful wine.

My thoughts…IMO, had you had a Roumier villages 2011, you would likely have had a similar experience at age 8. If you like wines on the primary fruit side…so be it. But, that doesn’t mean that such wines are not capable of aging into special experiences. That, in my view, is one of the reasons Burgundy is in such high demand…and always has been. Complexity as repayment for patience.

+1 x 10

only back to 01. Medium aging.

Love it as well!

Thanks Alan, seems logical as their plot is white soil
I have a 1 bottle verticale from 2009 and am longing to start opening one to taste. I should probably start with an early drinking vintage (2011 or 2013) but still seems a bit early. I like their Marsannay Les Champs Salomon quite a bit.

a nice Beze also.