I love Bonnes Mares

only if you bring pepsi

At $1,400 per bottle it better perform.

about $100 for the 99 Roumier BM on release . . .

But not anymore.

I think the old Ponnelle grapes are now in the Roumier wines. I’ve had a bunch of Ponnelle Bonnes Mares from the 40s, 50s, and early 60s. Amazing wines.

i cant see myself finding and buying Roumier again
but Vogue is special - a recent 1993 showed this.

Any opinions on the Bonnes Mares from Georges Lignier? I recently scored a 1999 bottle…

Love me some Mars Bones…

That 89 Roumier BM is one of my all time wines!! flirtysmile

Is this I love bonnes mares or I love 99?

Might be the 99 factor in play. :wink:

I’m about to sound like an old fogey. When I was first starting to buy Burgundy, the '99 Roumier Bonnes Mares was on the shelf at my local wine shop for $80. I bought one & drank it a few years later. It languished on the shelf for months… [cry.gif]

Todd, where’s that Back to the Future DeLorean when you need it? Mind you, if you did have use of it I’m sure you would come back with more than just a single '99 Roumier …

That’s a good point Fred.

It caused me to look at my notes on recent '99 Burgs I have had and have (generally) been enjoying very much in the last six months or so. So I’m sure there is some '99ness as a factor. Here’s an example that seems relevant …

• 1999 Nicolas Potel Bonnes Mares - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Bonnes Mares Grand Cru (5/28/2014)
    Brief notes of excellent wines at Christine and John’s (Wellington, New Zealand): The identity of the Potel was a surprise, both as to house and climat, we picked it as a Chambolle. Aromas of delicate black berry fruits, a fine structure with refined acids and a very long finish. The oak seemed well matched to the dense Grand Cru fruit weight and well integrated. Drinking very well now, the rich, complex flavours would develop with further time in the cellar, I’d imagine. Very impressive. By some margin, the best Potel I’ve ever had.

Posted from CellarTracker

Agree it is the better deal now.

Anybdy with experience with the Bart? Does it need a lot of ageing?

I recently had a 1964 Bonnes Mares from a no-name negociant (de Maizieres) that was magical. So +1 on the vineyard’s aging potential.

Bart is quite good as long as you get the non-LeSec version. A bargain (relatively) as well.

I’ll be a dissenting voice and say that while Bonnes Mares can age wonderfully (I’ve had several smokin’ '89 Jadot versions lately, and the '85 Jadot is great as well), you don’t need to wait that long. I’m not surprised that the '99s are that good - 15 years isn’t unreasonable to start drinking in my opinion. I do find the constant refrain that you can’t drink anything under 20-25 years pretty tiresome. I find the rate at which middle aged burgs are shut and unenjoyable significantly lower than the failure rate for old burgs, where some are indeed great and some are indeed on the downslope.

YMMV. Fire away.

98 Roumier BM was in my top five wines last year. Sure it was young, but still delicious!

You drink well Brady!.. I am afraid I will have to wait at least 10 years to drink my only 2 bottles (2008, 2011). Will be patient…

Huh! Maybe I should open a bottle. It was in my Do Not Disturb pile.

$85 on release. [whistle.gif]

As is so often the case, it wasn’t my bottle, and I have none in my cellar. So I now have envy for Antoine and Jay. :slight_smile:

Brady,
Next time, we can drink a Roumier (not Bonnes Mares though) or a Fourrier 1er cru.
(taking care of your distress…old chap).