I Do Not Understand Les Horées

just because I’m curious (ive asked some shops about it too, but never had it) do you know if its mostly repeat seekers, or new ones?

1 Like

Both, but by number new.

Funny as the 2019s sat on the shelf for a long time.

2 Likes

How interesting. Never heard of it. Honestly sounds like something…not for me.

6 Likes

I’ve never even heard of it. Who are these people clamoring for it?

2 Likes

Not sure how you expect me to answer that!

Would you like a list of names?

:kissing_heart:

1 Like

Here’s a list from a couple of years ago that’s still pretty accurate today.

There’s no need to chase these wines, but many people enjoy drinking them regardless of whether people here have heard of them or not. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The US importers with by far the biggest overlap with us are Thatchers, Wasserman and Vom Biden/Soilpimp @Robert_Dentice

2 Likes

No, just a sweeping, judgmental description of their common character flaws would be sufficient.

6 Likes

I’ve had a few bottles in France. It’s a very small production slightly natural style of wine, which is exactly the kind of wine that generates lots of demand (it’s relatively present on some IG accounts). Not really my style, so I don’t look for it or own any, but I didn’t get mouse.

5 Likes

My reaction as well. I wouldn‘t say flawed, certainly on a natural side, but overall I found them bland, dull and uninteresting. I must still have 3-4 bottles somewhere, cannot believe that somebody is willing to pay these prices. Very pretty labels though.

2 Likes

I was offered to buy them relatively cheap (msybe 60 or sonething for a village) more than 1 year ago, didn’t want to pay that much for an “unknown”. Now I see the hype, might still be able to get it at decent prices. Maybe I won’t.

2 Likes

I hosted a virtual tasting with Les Horées during covid. I sell the wines. I’ve tasted through all the 2019’s several times. I haven’t tried the 2020’s yet. I find them to be very well made wines in a more modern style. Leaning natural glou glou style, but not overly weird. True to terroir. I’ve noticed occasional reduction in the wines, but never out of whack VA. To make the appellation in Burgundy, you have to be under a certain level of VA which isn’t all that high.

As for the secondary market price, tiny production wasserman wines have had a habit of going nuts lately.

2 Likes

Les Horées and in the Champagne Elise Bougy are two producers I watched develop a following over social media. In my opinion both used instagram etc very successfully as a marketing tool.

I do not know know the selling prices of Les Horées but Elise Bougy’s starting price was high, granted she has a holding in Chetillons, yet the first bottling did not deliver and I beleive she took a lot of criticism for this. The prices being paid for Les Horées surprise me.

I am really curious about ROC BREÏA, sort of the same concept.

1 Like

I turned them down as they were for me just disasters, we tasted these from the very beginning, Pouilioln was at the first tasting and his words were not kind. Numerous customers, who bought from other sources confirmed my feelings and were disappointed. The Chetillons was held way too short on the lees for such a lieux dit.The second Chetillons was better but not worth the asking prices. her Coteaux from Ecueeilwith the maceration carbonique was more expensive than Folliard or Lapierre and a real flop.

Elise Bougy is an expert in marketing, regardless of what you say. She also has the advantage of having an interesting portfolio of wines and champagnes in her agency, this was the reason she got on to so many list so quickly,

Les Horées, if you wanted to do business with them in the beginning, the only way was to contact through social media,

I have nothing against this but at some point reality kicks in.

2 Likes

Certain importer/distributors are aggressively hyping the wines you’re talking about. It is more than just IG marketing. As you say, at some point the wines have to prove themselves.

The market is in this weird spot where there is more value placed on things being new than at any point in my 20 years in the industry. Brand new, unproven brands are getting hyped up and are selling at multiples of the blue chips of the region. It’s a bit ridiculous and things will correct at some point. Nobody wants to miss out on the next hot thing, but a lot of people are taking big positions. I have a feeling that these people are going to end up being disappointed.

4 Likes

I’ve tasted about 25 bottles. Never experienced anything close to mouse.

5 Likes

What you say is certianly very true.

2 Likes

I have had a few. Nice wines and fairly priced at $100-200 for village and premier cru levels. $1000 that is just absurd. Give me a case of Wasenhaus.

3 Likes

This to me is a classic case of crazy secondary market pricing, which Catherina would be the first to deplore, creating unreasonable expectations for very interesting wines.

I’ve followed Les Horées from the beginning and I think I was the first to write about the project in English. I found the debut 2019s impressive, and 2020s very strong, though Catherina had to bottle some of the cuvées a touch early due to moving cellars (to a much more controlled, cooler winery in Beaune - so, progress!). I’ve heard, but not experienced, of some stability issues with 2020s which I would tend to attribute to early bottling + a minimal intervention (I wouldn’t got so far as “natural”) approach.

It’s interesting, some of the top producers in Burgundy today started out with a very anti-filtration mentality and today filter. I do not filter my own wines but sometimes I wonder if I am being an idiot. These sorts of subjects take time to figure out and unfortunately a >500 USD bottle price on the secondary market means that people are very unforgiving. Yet that is very, very far from the ex-domaine/maison price of Les Horées, and to hold the first two vintages to that level of scrutiny is, if not unfair, at least a little harsh.

4 Likes

After tasting a few more bottles, now understanding there are some stability issues with the ‘19 vintage as it’s their first one, I get Les Horées. The wines have a distinct style and I really love the backstory of the Domaine.

Also, now knowing it is the retail shops marking up the wines 10x wholesale prices, it puts things a bit more into perspective. It also explains why certain producers, such as Charles Lachaux, only sell to restaurants at the moment. Retailers are going too far with egregious mark ups on these wines. :man_shrugging:t2:

A little harsh, indeed… Then again, there’s probably also something to be said for that old and long-forgotten idea that you should first actually learn to make wine properly before you start selling at all. Must be this whole “crowdfunding” thing. Brings to mind early Cornelissen, he practically wrote the book on this more than twenty years ago and didn’t even have Instagram :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes