I Do Not Understand Les Horées

Hope everyone is having a great day!

I’m wondering if there’s anyone out there who is a fan of Les Horées? What I’ve tried, to me, seems made to be intentionally flawed (VA mostly), but I’m curious to hear the opinion of those who like Sadde’s style. It’s not cheap ($1000+ for current release village Gevrey), so someone must be buying it. It can’t solely be due to small production right?

Thank you all!

3 Likes

I really like them. (We sell them!) But we sold the Gevry for €96. The hype is strong.

3 Likes

I’ve very much enjoyed the couple I’ve popped - the aligoté was one of the best versions of that grape I’ve had, and Le Vieux Sage had a very complex nose that was really satisfying. Worth the $? No opinion on that.

3 Likes

Everyone has an opinion on that. You’re either a buyer or you are not.

4 Likes

And yet, mysteriously, I somehow don’t have an opinion.

6 Likes

My cat is a fan. :mouse:

3 Likes

Lolol

4 Likes

someone must really like them. the bourgogne went for like $250 on winebid last week

1 Like

I get as many people asking for Horees as every other wine combined.

3 Likes

just because I’m curious (ive asked some shops about it too, but never had it) do you know if its mostly repeat seekers, or new ones?

1 Like

Both, but by number new.

Funny as the 2019s sat on the shelf for a long time.

2 Likes

How interesting. Never heard of it. Honestly sounds like something…not for me.

6 Likes

I’ve never even heard of it. Who are these people clamoring for it?

2 Likes

Not sure how you expect me to answer that!

Would you like a list of names?

:kissing_heart:

1 Like

Here’s a list from a couple of years ago that’s still pretty accurate today.

There’s no need to chase these wines, but many people enjoy drinking them regardless of whether people here have heard of them or not. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The US importers with by far the biggest overlap with us are Thatchers, Wasserman and Vom Biden/Soilpimp @Robert_Dentice

2 Likes

No, just a sweeping, judgmental description of their common character flaws would be sufficient.

6 Likes

I’ve had a few bottles in France. It’s a very small production slightly natural style of wine, which is exactly the kind of wine that generates lots of demand (it’s relatively present on some IG accounts). Not really my style, so I don’t look for it or own any, but I didn’t get mouse.

5 Likes

My reaction as well. I wouldn‘t say flawed, certainly on a natural side, but overall I found them bland, dull and uninteresting. I must still have 3-4 bottles somewhere, cannot believe that somebody is willing to pay these prices. Very pretty labels though.

2 Likes

I was offered to buy them relatively cheap (msybe 60 or sonething for a village) more than 1 year ago, didn’t want to pay that much for an “unknown”. Now I see the hype, might still be able to get it at decent prices. Maybe I won’t.

2 Likes

I hosted a virtual tasting with Les Horées during covid. I sell the wines. I’ve tasted through all the 2019’s several times. I haven’t tried the 2020’s yet. I find them to be very well made wines in a more modern style. Leaning natural glou glou style, but not overly weird. True to terroir. I’ve noticed occasional reduction in the wines, but never out of whack VA. To make the appellation in Burgundy, you have to be under a certain level of VA which isn’t all that high.

As for the secondary market price, tiny production wasserman wines have had a habit of going nuts lately.

2 Likes