I can't believe that I am contemplating this ; a Great Sauvignon Blanc: Francois Cotat

Sauvignon Blanc is a weed! Must say I have ascribed to this theory at times.

This is next level and I can’t believe it has taken me 40 yrs to try one.
Mineral, yes real crushed rocks, some subtle talcy, smoky notes. Acid to burn, but with ripeness.
Exhilarating, chiselled, with lovely lime juice, chalk and real tension.
Feels like it will live forever.

5 Likes

Great wine.

Love cotat wines but I prefer it with about 10 years on them. Early drinking is a let down for me.

2 Likes

Love the wines of Cotat. Stupidly, I have not bought any in years and no longer have any in my cellar. Need to fix that.

Boulay too. IMO more consistent than Cotat.

3 Likes

Welcome my friend, where have you been!?!

Cotat wines are excellent. Cotat also makes a killer Rose and really spiffy Pinot Noir with a distinct mineral edge and buzzy energy.

Next you will discover Vatan and forever be ruined.

1 Like

To me, Cotat’s Rose Sancerre tastes like Sancere but is richer and has additional flavors in addition to the flavors of Sancere from Sauvignon Blanc. Probably the best Rose (outside of Champagne) I have had.

2 Likes

Have had a few Boulays and to my palate this wine was on another level, but agree the Boulays are good.

Been a bit busy lately Robert - still drinking some nice wines thought!
I have a couple of bots of 22 Rose sop looking forward to busting one soon.
Will keep an eye out for Vatan.

1 Like

Had the '22 Rosé recently. Really good! Consistently one of the best Rosé table wines you can find for mine.

At least around here, Vatan sells for a lot more than Cotat does. I don’t think they are worth the difference, but I agree that you should at least try Vatan and see for yourself.

1 Like

Cotat is wonderful. Congrats!

One eye on Vatan, the other on my wallet…

Ahem. There’s a magnum of 2020 available here for $A1600 …think I will stick to cheap and cheerful White Burgundy

I love the Caillottes bottle for early drinking! The Culs de Beaujeu is in the same vein and worth a look if you liked the Caillotes.
This might be sacrilege but I’ve preferred the Caillotes & Beaujeu to the Monts Damnes & Grand Cotes, at least while they’re young (under 5yrs old) which is the only experience I’ve had so far. They’ve got a great energy.

Yea but isn’t that like only $73 USD?

:wink: