I bought some black truffles... now what?

Thanks to a tip from @jordan_whitehead , I purchased 1 oz of small black winter truffles from Urbani.

What should I do with them? Please let me know your favorite easy go to recipes.

cheers,
Patrick

1 Like

I’ll be interested in the responses. I’ve not done much experimentation, but will say that black truffles can be cooked with. (White truffles respond better to not being cooked, but absorbing gentle warming from being distributed as the thinnest of slices over something warm, like roast meat or poached eggs).

For simplest of all, something with eggs, e.g. scrambled eggs, or tossed in a little butter with freshly cooked pasta.

slice thin and place between the flesh and the skin of a chicken and roast!

5 Likes

Sliced onto good pasta tossed with a basic onion/garlic/white wine sauce is easy and delicious.

1 Like

Black truffles aren’t all that fragrant like whites, especially the small ones, so don’t expect a mind blowing experience. But they can be good on a filet mignon with a simple pan sauce.

2 Likes

And whoops… I forgot to ask about wine pairings. I’m planning on cooking the truffle with 1) simple pasta with butter and parmesan, or 2) scrambled eggs.

I do have a 1968 Nebbiolo but I do not want to open it. What else would you suggest?

@Andrew_K @Rob_Isaacs @Mel_Hill

Hope it hasn’t arrived yet. You really want to eat these things the day they arrive and will only last 2-3 days max but will get progressively less fragrant.

You should be opening 1968 Barolo. Never a strong vintage, time has not been kind, although a recently tasted Marcarini was surviving, just

Pizza Bianca with sliced truffle works

1 Like

It arrived yesterday; still smells nice.

Mark, thank you for the nudge. I will open it. It is my birth year, and while I am certainly getting better with age :), I have my doubts about the wine. I’ll chill a couple of whites as a backup.

1 Like

Store in the fridge until tonight?

Yes, they are in the fridge. I put them in a glass container with a couple of eggs.

I’d second the roast chicken suggestion. Any leftover bits can be added to your eggs in the morning.