I am a CT delinquent.

I finally joined CT this Summer while I was on vacation. I entered about 20% of my wines in there and then I kind of left it for another day. Now I am just as where I left if off, and have not subtracted any consumed wines.

Sure wish the CT would come with a genie to add them and subtract them at all times for those of us who are very, very lazy.

Hear that Eric, including a genie…priceless.

Otto

I’m quite diligent about entering purchases into CT. I think it is great for purchases made between April and October. In the past, I always lost track of what was pending.

I try to keep up with what’s drunk but sometimes not so diligent.

I don’t keep track of house wines.

I’m extremely diligent in using CT for tracking every bottle I buy, consume, tasting notes regardless of bottle source, etc… My inventory is extremely accurate. iirc my last physical inventory I was off less that 1/2 of 1 percent on a 1,300 bottle inventory. Here’s the trick that I learned to help me keep my inventory accurate. A bottle is NEVER placed into the cellar until it is logged into CT. A bottle is NEVER placed in the recycling bin until it’s logged out of CT. PERIOD. If it has to sit on the kitchen counter forever it sits until it’s logged in or out.

I fall into the anal camp with CT…Every bottle goes in there, even the daily drinkers. At any one time, at most I am 1-2 bottles off.

I also do what Frank does and have a print out from CT in the cellar so if the computer is not on, I can just cross out the bottle I remove and enter it later.

I’m not anal by nature, but without a database of some sort, I have no idea how people keep track of what they have.

Eric Levine for President!

Every bottle I own is in CT. After that I will usually remember to remove them from CT, but every once in a while I do a quick check of what I’m supposed to have consumed in the last month according to CT, and what I remember having consumed. There are usually 2-3 bottles that I have forgotten. So my CT is usually pretty accurate.

I also do an inventory once in a year or so, especially the stuff that isn’t in racks. That’s how I find stuff like 89 La Chapelle or 90 DP that I thought I didn’t have any more… oops.

President of CellarTracker is as close as I will ever get…

← another with an accurate and kept-up-to-date CT.

A bottle is never placed into the racking until the barcode is printed and attached to the bottle. When I drink a bottle, I remove the barcode label and either update CT immediately, or later using those tags.

Wait a minute. You stood next to the man. I’ve seen the photo.

[shock.gif] [shock.gif]

Remind me not to drink what you bring to an offline. [wink.gif] neener [tease.gif]

I use an old Excel spreadsheet to ‘track’ my wines. I’m not very good at keeping it up. The last time I updated it was when we moved the cellar to Santa Fe (over five years ago). The time before that when I updated it was four or five years earlier. I just remember where things are, or sometimes search for something I’m sure I still have. I’m thinking about updating it sometime soon. The cellar still has between 3500 and 4000 bottles.

That is my methodology as well. It works. It is aided by the fact that I am pretty much the only one who ever handles wine in my cellar.

True, true. So a ‘grip and grin’ that is also as close as I will ever get to being President.

I’m just as bonkers as the rest of you. I even print barcode labels and have a scanner even though I rarely have more then 200 bottles on hand… How OCD is that?

My inventory is about 99% accurate. Lately, however, I’ve stopped entering daily drinkers into CT.

I am fairly diligent about entering my wines into CT and scanning them when I remove them. I keep a laptop and barcode scanner in my cellar, which makes all of this pretty easy.

Best,

Andrew

I start to twitch and eventually lose sleep when mine is not up to date. Having home PC tech fail these days so there are several consumed unaccounted for with notes. So I’ll just consume more in an attempt to sleep.

My CT inventory is 100% accurate, as of right now – there’s certain thigngs I obsess about, and wine is one of them. Sometimes it takes me a day or two to “consume” a bottle from my CT list, but I always enter any purchased bottles before putting ‘em away. Call me sick, or whatever, but entering new purchases into CT is one of my favorite things about buying wine.

I try hard to keep it accurate as possible, and I like to think I’m successful thus far. I dont enter in daily drinkers, so it makes it a lot easier. The only aspect I need to be more diligent with is the storage location (home vs. off site). Now, as far as posting TNs for my the consumed wines, thats a whole other story.

+1 on that! After renting my first off-site storage locker, CT has become invaluable for keeping track of where each bottle is. The off-site is 100% correct, but the Vinotemp at home is probably off by 5 to 10%. Once it’s cold outside I’ll feel better about pulling everything and doing an audit.

Re: barcodes - I’m at 400 bottles and feel like I’m nowhere near the breaking point of needing a barcode set-up. But I’ve always thought it would be very cool to do RFID tags - the system would automatically log the bottle out of the system when you walked out the cellar door!

you can buy little tiny sticky RFID tags now and rig that up if you really wanted to…

I agree with Brian as well. the majority of my purchases are made on Thursday evenings as KL is right on the way to the rink where I play hockey and as a result, Friday mornings are always fun since that’s when the wine gets logged in, tagged, etc. It’s almost therapeutic in a weird sort of way.