Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

Might want to put away the nice china and silver. Also move prescription medications to a safe and secure location.

Charcuterie and Champagne to start.

BYO and potluck after that as most of you clowns are better cooks than me

You have outdoor cooking options which makes things a bit different but for large groups my usual go tos are:

Buy a whole lechon (roast pig - we have lots of options for that around here)
Roast a big piece of meat - prime rib, leg of lamb, etc.
Make a big pot of stew a day or two before and reheat.
Cheese platter
Charcuterie platter
Good dry sausages
Gougeres (taken out of the oven just as people start arriving - it rewards on time behavior)
A large salad with the dressing made the day before
Deviled eggs
Creamed morels with toast

Basically I try to avoid things that require a lot of time in the kitchen while the guests are there. Anything that can be made the day before or that morning is a big plus.

Buckets of KFC and champagne. Not joking.

Make it Popeye’s and you might get charlie fu to come out

Damn, the Berserkers must really get down. I plan to hide my incontinent yorkie and children. Only meds are his so snatching some from the drawer would be a pretty weak choice.

My thoughts on wine are anti-theme. When getting a bunch of folks together, many of whom have different tastes, don’t you kind of want there to be a good spread? Pinots and champagne and chardonnay and northern rhone and bordeaux and napa cab and maybe, just maybe, some burgundy? Or even something really weird? I think I’d rather get to see what other people like. I feel like people’s wine preferences speak a bit about them, just like people’s dogs do. Interested to hear about other folks’ thoughts.

Then again, I am also very anti worrying about whether the food and wine will be a good pairing, mostly because we’ll spend a short time eating and a long time drinking.

Both your yorkie AND your children are incontinent?

He wouldn’t want them to see what goes on at these things.

KJJ said the magic words “napa cab” “Bordeaux”

We’re about to have another gathering here in Maine and we tend to lean towards sushi & pizza if it’s an easy going night. Sometimes I’ll make a mushroom risotto. I just got my hands on some Morels so that may be in the pipeline. In the end it’s more about the chance to share special wines with special people. But back to the question…I’d try to open a wine from each camp (old/new world) that was either expensive, rare, unique, or hard to find. Something that makes the journey and memories a little more special.

This is how Orlando-Berserkers role…

:wink:

aw what a cute dinner. [snort.gif] [snort.gif]

Some waxy whites in there (not racist) - Jorge would love it!

Another Orlando Berserker night, with another ‘65, among other goodies.

Not sure Fu can rock white-washed jeans like these old doodes…

K-John. Step up.

We’re doing this next weekend for a bunch of Cellar Trackers and Berserkers.
Thu night I am cooking
Fri afternoon is shrimp boil and Champagne
Fri night is take-out pulled pork and brisket
Sat night is tasting menu at a great restaurant
Sun afternoon is a blind tasting (bread and water…)

F*ck the chicken and BBQ. I’m going to Jay’s house.

Bring your cardio! Actually, bring two cardios and Doc Levine.

Zinfandel.

The Berserker BBQ’s were always fun, but we had members who manned the grills, heated the sides and starter trays/desserts were pre-purchased. As a “host” I spent a lot of time doing chores and not really getting to spend a lot of quality time with everybody. There was a fair amount of clean up involved the following day and several members were there to help.

We have since the rented space for one party and had Carrie’s 60th birthday party, both catered by local caterer’s. One used our grill, the other was self contained. They did it all, including clearing the tables, washing the dishes, stem ware, silverware and cleaning the grill. All I had to do the next day was rearrange the tables and clean up a couple spots. The cost of the caterer was slightly higher. The caterers all offered two main dishes and invitees given the menu. If they can’t eat what’s on the menu, both caterers offered to cook what they brought for themselves at a half plate rate.

Dump buckets. You must have dump buckets in several, no, many places, depending on how many people attend. Replace them every 15 minutes until people are seated for dinner, then every 30 minutes. After dinner, there is less dumping and more drinking.

Put out plates and silverware and glasses.

Tell them to bring the food.

After all, you’re supplying all the wine.

And have something besides Pinot Noir for those who like wine. And go easy on the whites.