Howard turns 60 and a lot of top notch wine gets enjoyed

Howard Davis celebrated his 60th birthday with a wonderful long lunch in the winery at Ata Rangi very kindly hosted by co-owner Clive Paton and winemaker Helen Masters. Howard generously opened up the creme de la creme of his cellar for the occasion. Brief impressions (at best) as too much fun was being had

Champagnes with canapes

2002 Billecart Salmon Cuvee Elizabeth Salmon: Charming and delicious with lots of strawberry fruits
2002 Billecart Salmon Cuvee Nicoleas Francois: more linear and pure, and lemony
1999 Pol Roger Winston Churchill: Lovely and right in the zone, beautiful and long
2002 Krug: Youthful, deep long and powerful

Thoughts: all showed very well, bright and fresh with nothing tired. The two BS were crowd pleasers but the Pol Roger and the Krug were definitely a step up.

Nth Rhone Blancs and White Burgundy with NZ crayfish seafood risotto

2014 Chave Hermitage Blanc: Very elegant but on the youthful side, needs another 10 hears
2014 Vernay Condrieu Coteau de Vernon: Gorgeous and floral with tropical fruits, beautiful today
2014 Bouchard Chevaluer Montrachet (diam 30): pale yellow bright intense citrus and chalk, still a baby
2014 Drouhin Montrachet Laguiche (cork): mid yellow more advanced, deep and intense with a chalky tactile finish

Thoughts: Others enjoyed the Chave Blanc more than I did, I like them older. The Vernay was excellent. The two white burgs were a great study in Diam 30 vs natural cork. One was a youthful and not mature and the other was more advanced than it should be.

Red Burgundy with braised and seared venison loin

2001 Bachelet Charmes Chambertin: Incredible floral nose, delicate and refined and very delicious, red fruits
2001 Roumier Bonnes Mares: Youthful, powerful and long. Darker and more intense but not yet showing its full potential
1999 Rousseau Clos St Jacques: Wow this is amazing, Just wonderful showing the lovely generous 99 fruit character. I loved this
1996 Rousseau Chambertin; This has real GC depth and intensity but is a bit marked by high 1996 acidity which unbalances the finish. Being very picky here.

then a a pair of Leroys

2001 Leroy Latricieres Chambertin: Very delicioous and appealing, I am not familiar with Latricieres bit this is fantastic. Pretty nose, clean powerful and round in the mouth.
2001 Leroy Romanee St Vivant: flirting with perfection here, Intensify and depth without weight. Inviting sexy nose, layers of red fruits to a long balanced finish

Thoughts; An (over) abundance of world class burgundies. All were excellent. I am hardly a Leroy expert but have noticed a strong winemaker signature on the wines in the past. Not with these two, perhaps the 2001 vintage worked well with the Leroy style. Very very impressive set of wines and loved by all. Current prices for these wines (esp the Leroy) are utter madness.

Barolo with cheese

2010 G. Mascarelllo Monprivato: Red fruited Burgundian mid red lighter bodied but beautiful
2010 G Rinaldi Tre Tine: A bit bound up in its tannins, dark fruits, lots of power but too young
2008 B Giacosa Rocche de Falletto Riserva: Very aromatic classic nose of rose petals, very refined and structured.
2008 C Conterno Montfortino: A complete wine with everything in place, great depth of fruit, endless finish

Thoughts: All are way too young for me. All need another 15 years in the cellar to show their true potential

Sauternes with Tart Tartin

1990 Climens: This is in great shape, rich and powerful, marmalade and spice, good acidity frames the finish. Great way to end the lunch

It was great afternoon filled with good food, great wines and most importantly a fantastic cheerful easy going group of people. Memorable for sure

Cheers Brodie

19 Likes

Wonderful lineup, congrats to Howard! That 01 Leroy RSV is legendary, in fact she did very well across the board in 01.

Umm…wow!

And Happy Birthday to Howard.

1 Like

Happy Birthday to Howard. Splendid line-up. The Ata Rangi crew are good people.

1 Like

I would have flown to NZ for this line up. Amazing! I turn 60 this year too. Sadly, my line up pales in comparison.

And happy 60th!

Many happy returns! Awesome report.

Have that Churchill on the list.

So nice!

Thanks for the report Brodie. Quite a few familiar names there :slight_smile: What. a. line. up.
Good to see you guys weathering the political and economic challenges.

1 Like

Wonderful!

Happy Birthday, Howard! I miss our times together.

Peter Rosback

Sineann

1 Like

What a lineup, Brodie! I think those vintage Billecart Salmon roses are really underrated in delivering a great experience for the price. Totally awesome. Thanks for the write-up!