How would you rank the five first growths

In that vein, a Burg lovers list:

Margaux
HB
Latour
Lafite
Mouton

I have had a lot less of these than many here, but I more or less would list them the same as Howard—I might flip Latour and Margaux, but Haut Brion is definitely tops for me. Other than my corked 88, I’m not sure I’ve ever had less than a really good bottle of it, regardless of the year. The taste profile and aromatic profile just hits the (relatively small–I admire a lot more Bordeaux than I like/love) sweet spot for me in Bordeaux.

Am I allowed to ask a related question? Top houses for Bordeaux Blanc?

For me, HB, Laville, Pape Clement, SHL and Domaine de Chevalier are probably my 5.

Deleted.

Same. Might switch Mouton and Latour.

Haut Brion
Margaux
Latour
Lafite
Mouton

Like Russell, only the first and last are strong placement for me.

I don’t have any strong view on ranking and it would change vintage by vintage. No one has consistently been great or “the best” out of vintages currently good for drinking imho. If I were asked which one I’d like to drink from a random, unknown vintage, I’d probably go for Latour.

Haut Brion
Mouton
Lafite
Latour
Margaux

I’m going on consistency and quality of wines from the 20th century up until 1990 here. We can discuss post-90 wines in another 20 years’ time when it makes sense to do that.

Haut Brion is, as most people say, the most consistently brilliant.
Mouton has its ups and downs but the ups are so good (and I don’t personally think the lows are bad at all) that it comes second.
Lafite is inconsistent (particularly between '45 and '82) but I prefer the style to
Latour which, though consistent, is often too burly for me.
Margaux isn’t to my mind a first growth wine - had the 1855 rating been made at any point between the 20s and the late 80s, based purely on the quality of the wines, Palmer would have been 1st and Margaux 3rd.

if this is a ranking of the best of Bordeaux, it is incomplete without expanding to the big Eight as I see it.
Petrus and Cheval Blanc are superior to, or rival the FGs in too many classic vintages to not be included.
I do not have enough experience with Ausone to make a valid statement.

My personal ranking:

Haut Brion
Latour
Margaux
Lafite
Mouton

Latour was #1 for me from about 1980 until about 10 years ago (still like it a lot) but in recent years I’ve really been entranced by Haut Brion.

I just love the style of Margaux - so many wonderful recent examples. Had a few great Lafite (1989 and 1996) but too many disappointments (1983 and 1990 and all those ones from the 1970s). Some great Mouton (1982 and 1986 plus a couple others) but a lot of just “good” vintages that don’t say first growth.

my thoughts exactly, I suppose they think they are being cute??? Adds nothing of value to the thread.

Thanks Mark, my rating as well. I have not had nearly enough to be able to provide a true ranking. No data for post 2002 vintages.

My preference for Latour is stylistic and the fact that most of my best ever Bdx experiences for me have been with Latour (1982, 1970, 1961 and an amazing birth year 1958). Also Latour in so called lesser years like 1985, 1994 etc are wonderful as well

Brodie

Chris, what have been your favorite vintages of Margaux (or what are your wonderful recent examples).

I haven’t done a statistical analysis, but if I did based on a quick scroll, Haut Brion would be #1. And so it is for me.

#1 - Haut Brion
#2 - [tie] Lafite and Latour, Lafite listed first simply for alphabetical reasons
#4 - Margaux
#5 - Mouton, with the understanding that is on long term average. Agreed that the greatest are among the very greatest.

I also haven’t had enough to consider myself fully qualified to judge, but it’s about 10 vintages each, except closer to 20 for Haut Brion.

Dan Kravitz

I’m going to list them in order of how many I’ve bought, since that speaks in some way to my preference. On average I’ve probably only had a handful per year over 30+ years, and most of those in tastings, so pretty thin experience.

Haut Brion
Margaux
Latour
Mouton
Lafite

As far as I can remember, I never bought a bottle of Lafite, though I’ve had some super bottles. It’s also my most recent FG experience: Last month a friend served me the 1967 which was very good.

now this could be skewed a bit by having particularly good bottles of one and just ok bottles of another but I’d go
Lafite
Margaux
Mouton
Latour
Haut Brion