How many bottles of 750ml bottles for 35 people?

No idea. The cost of the wine is being paid by the host woman to me and I assume she is paying the restaurant tab as well. How she works it out with her group and the restaurant is not my business!

I’m thinking 2012, 2013, 2016. I’ll have a run through this weekend. It’s a function of availability and approachability. Also discussion points of differences amongst the vintages. I have 2 weeks to get it together. Or I could pour the 2011 to prove a point [wow.gif] .

I will be very interested in your final result!

I bet we have over-estimated and it will he 1/2 bottle per person in the end. Planning wine service is similar to cooking the meal - I tend to over-estimate consumption!

Yeah, but cooked food is perishable. Unopened bottles of wine at the ready is easier.

I think you missed the part where Merrill is being paid for the wine! … every glass should be filled to the top until the evening ends!

I would plan on 1.5 bottles/person given there inevitably will be wine poured that won’t be imbibed, bottles opened that don’t get poured.

Wait! No! That could lead to less wine for us!

On a purely commercial basis, I would make sure to include wine you have available for sale. No sense in making these folks fall in love with your wine and then telling them they can’t have any!

But of course, Counselor. SOP.

When doing this professionally, we usually budget for each person to have 2 drinks in the first hour and 1 drink per hour after that, on average. Some people will drink significantly more than that and some people will have 1 glass and drink water for the rest of the night. At the high end of that math, you’d have 35 people for 3+ hours (this depends a lot on how the event will go: will there be speakers? lots of time for walkaround socializing? etc.), so around 28-30 bottles. As was mentioned in another thread, how the servers pour the wines can make a big difference on how much gets opened and how much gets wasted. With 30-35 people, you could easily have 3 full bottles’ worth of wine in glasses when everyone leaves. I would hope not, but it could happen. Can you bring a bottle per person and not charge them for anything that doesn’t get opened? That’s what I would try to do. My guess is that you’d actually need around 20-25 bottles for 35 people, but obviously you don’t want to run out before the meal is over.

Yes, I will only charge for bottles opened. It’s their dinner - I think I am the only “speaker” other than the hosting woman who will of course introduce me. I expect it to be informal and that I will spend time answering questions. The woman who recruited me has helped the organizer of the event before. I will know more about how the evening is laid out as I get more information from her.

If they’re in construction, then you have to serve them a barrel sample [assuming the barrels aren’t in some weird state like malo].

Deploy it as an after-dinner port, with the dessert tray.

That would be beyond awesome.

[Construction people are always fascinated with how things are CONSTRUCTED!]

Moderation is for wusses. [snort.gif]

“The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom…You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough.” Blake. And he would know.

I’m in!

Next to your 2012 and 2013? the 2011 will indeed prove the point that it was green, mean, herbaceous machine :wink: :wink:

[rofl.gif] [smileyvault-ban.gif]

I don’t agree with you on that one, Mr. Ye, but you are entitled to your opinion.

Lawyers don’t kid. That was a self-serving disclaimer.

Alright I was just playing Merrill. [cheers.gif]

Altho I have had the EMH 2011/12/13. Each on several occasions. And I believe 11 is clearly less ripe, more green and much more herbaceous. Do u disagree?
If so, Would u say the 11 is more ripe/sweet/fruit forward than the 12/13??
Remember I’m not judging what’s better. I’m just judging what I smell/taste. But I’m certainly not as close to it or as experienced with emh as you! :slight_smile:

Sounds like a Togni.

If so, then in 30 or 40 years, it will be the best of the vintages [after all the others have long since fallen by the wayside].

Yes, 2011 is leaner than my typical vintages, but not far from my Black Cat profile. I still sell it to those who enjoy the profile. And the 2011 Special Selection is one of my favorite wines I have produced!

As we “speak” I am doing tasting trials to finalize which wines I will pour at the women’s dinner, what I will pour at the charity tasting the night after in Carmel, and perhaps even changing the dinner wine for the Bassin gala dinner (Bassins.com). Right now it looks like I may pull the 2013 and replace it with the 2014 Special Selection. I’ll know by the end of the night. So right now I have open and am comparing the 2012, 2013, 2014SS and 2016. I know it sounds like fun, but my name is on every bottle, so it is work just like any other job, I want to do my best at it. I want the wines to show differently from each other, to demonstrate how vintage and age affect wines that are essentially the same (same vineyard, same oak treatment, etc).