How I spent my time while WB was down

I was convinced it was No. 2. It’s so apropos these days. Sent Fu a few missives, but I settled down. I realized that I made more money, even stuck in Alabama, while the site was closed for business.

NO worries. Now that it’s back up and running, that money you make will go away very quickly!

Spent my time browsing WB wondering when the site would go down like Todd said it would and then the next time I went to it everything was brand spanking new. I wonder when the site actually went down because some people were both very productive and very reproductive while this allegedly happened.

Sacrificed a number of small mammals to the dark gods, exhorting the demonic horde to ensure a safe and speedy implementation.

IT deliveries don’t just happen on their own.

Perfect timing for me. It was opening weekend of our local deer season. 7 great family members and longtime friends converged on the Scharffenberger redwood grove and had our annual mountain bocce/cookout/campout/hunt. One deer volunteered on what turned out to be pretty slim pickings. We saw lots of coyote and bear scat which to me means the deer are under pressure.
buck.jpg

See post 45. [wow.gif]

That deer looks pretty relaxed around people.

Casey, your season starts early. It is still a month away here in PA. Is that a whitetail? Coloring is a little different than here.

Congratulations!

Colombia blacktail. Actually related to the mule deer. Crazy season dates here in Cali. We never get to hunt even close to the rut, so we push canyons and brush thickets. They eat very well even though they are on the small side. Summer coat is giving way to a more blue/silver color. We’re going to South Dakota again after harvest for whitetail/mulie combo.

Not a hunter so no clue when season starts up here but no shortage of whitetails in our area, upstate NY…see them in our back yard almost daily, even see em sauntering down the street…they have been displaced from a lot of their old feeding grounds…They nibble on leaves on low hanging branches and seem to love my wife’s green pepper plants, judging by what appears to have been bitten off.

Jon, I know how you feel. This was a few days ago in my driveway.
deer in drivway.JPG

I had to build wire cages for my wife’s beloved hostas. They look weird up close but you can’t even see them from the street. And, without them we wouldn’t even have hostas; the damn ruminants’d chew them to the ground. Overnight.

Our hostas took a beating this summer. We have 4-8 deer in our backyard on a regular basis.

I use a home made “deer off” solution of Naptha soap, raw egg, and garlic that works well. Judging from the deer in the drive way it is time to apply again. I have to apply about once a month through the summer. Otherwise I would only have stalks. They are brutal on hostas, phlox and day lillies.

IMO, that deer in Vaughan’s driveway looked photoshopped. :sunglasses:

Wow. I didn’t know that Fels-Naptha soap still existed. We used to wash with it after working on the farm when I was a kid to keep from getting poison ivy.

Do you shave the soap bar? What are the proportions? Do you put on the ground around the plants or on the plants?

Steve, I use a file (rotary on a drill) to shave a bar of soap into almost a fine powder. I put this in a five gallon bucket and fill the bucket with warm water to dissolve the soap. Then I take one of Ann’s pantyhose and put a head of garlic (crushed) into a leg with two whole raw eggs, a few teaspoons of cayenne pepper. As I am lowering the pantyhose into the bucket of soapy water, crack the raw eggs. hang the clean part of the pantyhose leg out of the bucket and put the lid on. I usually let this sit outside in a shady spot for a week to let it all meld. After a week I pull the pantyhose out of the bucket and discard that (it stinks!) Sometimes you have to skim some solid off the top. Then I use this, diluted with regular water to spray direction on the leaves. Don’t use it on garden food that you would eat, just on flowers. It stinks when you first spray it for about a day, mostly of garlic. Don’t do it right before it rains, obviously, or just before you entertain outside. I have a pretty big yard and a lot of things the deer love and this lasts me for the summer. It works great. I apply about once a month through the summer. I am also going to try it on my azaleas this winter as they got hit hard this past winter.

Thanks. I may need to try that.