How do you control your alcohol intake?

Why would I come to Toronto? pileon (I say that was a joke Son. A joke I tell you!)

Well in that case Brian, you will just deemed inadmissible and denied entry into our beautiful country. neener

Ditto. Peter I had a serious response to your original post but your most recent post for several reasons made me lose interest in joining this conversation.

In light of the current events unfolding in California it is very difficult to post anything else other then wishing that the situation will get under control expeditiously and hope for a safe return for everyone to their regular lives. Upmost respect to all the professionals, volunteers and individuals who are putting their lives on line to help others. Sometimes it takes a catastrophic event like this one to bring the best out of people (unfortunately in some minor cases also the worst).

We are now at the verge of a busy wine tasting period and pre Xmas party time season. I for myself started my swimming regimen to keep my body and mind in healthy balance. Physical activity has always been an important part of my life to compensate for my ā€œsinsā€. If you donā€™t feel like a workout after a good night out, try to go to a sauna. Sweating out all those toxins makes me invariably feel like new born again.

George, if everyone would choose be refrain from posting if they are not in agreement with some of the postings, this would be a very empty forum. I hope you reconsider and share your thoughts on this serious subject. [basic-smile.gif]

I use smaller glasses than your typical wine glass. Also, smaller pours. It blows my mind a standard pour in a restaurant (here in Europe) is 200 mL. If a menu offers 100 mL pours due to cost or scarcity (or both) I will get that glass most often. Itā€™s good to take nights off, and weā€™ll have sparkling water, iced tea, juice, etc. Wine is fantastic but I always want to think of it as a treat, a reward.

Never an easy an topic as there is an abundance of quality wine, spirits and beer in todayā€™s marketplace.

Iā€™ve traditionally used the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) guidelines from a health management perspective.

For women, low-risk drinking is defined as no more than 3 drinks on any single day and no more than 7 drinks per week.

For men, it is defined as no more than 4 drinks on any single day and no more than 14 drinks per week.

Yes, itā€™s OK to cheat once in a while as long as you balance your intake with a goal of moderation.

Cheers!

Smaller pours in restaurant would be certainly welcome since you could have different wines for different courses without risking over consumption.

We typically donā€™t have wine during the week unless we socialize or celebrate a special occasion. I tried the reward and treat option which didnā€™t work for me. I just found too many reasons why I should get a reward. [snort.gif]

This are tough measurements to keep in line with!

The Guidelines of the Canadian Center on Substance Use and Addiction recommend no more than two drinks a day, 10 per week for women, and three drinks a day, 15 per week for men, with an extra drink allowed on special occasions. ā€‹
http://www.ccdus.ca/Eng/topics/alcohol/drinking-guidelines/Pages/default.aspx

15 drinksā€¦ is a 5oz pour 1 drink? as is a pint of beer?

15 seems like a lot for a weekā€¦

All relative.

Since a bottle of wine equals to just slightly above 5 1/4 standard drinks we are talking of less then three bottles per week. So if you share a bottle of wine with your partner every day with your meal you are already exceeding those guidelines.

+1

i try to limit to one glass a night during the week, and normally 2-3 on a special night or weekend. I also try to take a night off each week. I think a consistent low intake is better than a roller coaster intake that averages out to the same number of glasses per week, and its always been easier for me to control binging with anything whether its food, alchohol, or anything else, by practicing moderation than by abstaining and allowing myself to go crazy occasionally.

When the bottle is empty, open another. If there arenā€™t anymore, iā€™m done for the night.

By driving. No, seriously. Instead of drinking junk whilst out, now drive and have a glass or two of something decent when I get in.

Riaz, not sure if I follow your argumentation. Are you suggesting to drive and therefore limit the amount of drinks you consume?

I think heā€™s saying only drink at homeā€¦

I wake up 2-4 times a week at 04:30 to ride bikes.

Getting older has done it for me. I once asked my father why he didnā€™t drink anymore. Now I know and my mother only drank on social occasions, drinking alone was not her thing. Some family members on my motherā€™s side and my brother had a problem with drink. Driving while old is problem enough, no need for complications. [snort.gif]

That will certainly do it. I noticed the same with my parents. An opened bottle would linger around for weeks.

I wonder if drinking in moderation at younger age will allow you to stay in better health and therefore allow you to enjoy your goodies at a later stage in life? newhere

For me- A healthy change in diet, early AMs at the gym, and having a pregnant (now nursing) wife. I still have wine almost every night, but often just a glass. I either share a bottle at dinner with my in-laws, or watch a bottle over multiple days. On the weekends, I am more apt to cook larger meals leaving more time at the table for wine.