How do you control your alcohol intake?

Only drink.enough until she looks good then I call it a night but if she didn’t start out so hot well then I tend to consume a lot more which often leads to consuming even more when I wake up.

We follow European norms and consider wine part of a healthy lifestyle. We have wine every night with family dinner. Usually start with bubbles or white(12 ish alc) while meal planning and cooking, then a bottle of red (13 ish alc) with food and conversation.

Some beer instead of white sometimes. I guess most off all hard liquor only a few times a year mostly in margaritas.

I still spit and dump nearly much as we drink between tasting/blending/events/tasting room leftovers etc.

What are you trying to control? Inebriation, calories, money?

As I have gotten older, I like to taste so do small pours. We share a house with our daughter, so I will pour a glass and give them the rest. Now if it is something I really like, I can get a bit possessive and squirrel the bottle away. Fortunately I like to follow a wine over several days and could have several open. I also love to drink coffee which helps a lot. [cheers.gif]

We follow European norms and consider wine part of a healthy lifestyle.

Wine consumption in Spain, France and Italy dropped by 50% since 1970. I guess it will be up to us to set the new norm.

It is all about moderation. A glass of wine with your meal can certainly be beneficial to your health. The problem is to keep it at that. If I opened a bottle in the past I usually finished it the same day. The health impact over a longer period of time would be significant. I therefore did not drink during the week at all. With some effort and will power I now keep it at a single glass serving with my meal. Some days I don’t drink at all. On the weekend and while socializing limits are off. This arrangement serves me quiet well for now.

I get where your coming from. They have had a decrease in wine consumption though alternatives, beer/spirits have largely replaced that with the folks younger than boomers. In wine country (specifically France) I have found the lifestyle I aspire to which includes roughly a bottle a day of sub 14% alcohol wine with little to no distilled spirits and only some beer.

To control my drinking, I usually use my right hand.

When that gets shaky, I use my left hand.

When that gets shaky, I sometimes go to the two handed grip.

When that gets too shaky, I quit drinking!

I am a bit bewildered about some comments from fellow forumites which believe that drinking smaller quantities and/or less frequent drinking should disqualify someone from partaking on this site.

IMHO you don’t have to consume a lot of alcohol nor do you need to drink it on a daily base to enjoy it. For myself I mostly enjoy to taste wine in small quantities mostly on weekends and social gatherings. I don’t have to go through a whole bottle in a day. Most of the time I will enjoy it over 2-3 days. It is quiet interesting to see how the wine evolves over a longer period of time. I truly enjoy the great variety and complexity of this experience. Does that make me a lesser wine lover compared to someone who gulps down a bottle a day? You decide for yourself what is best for you.

I just re-read this entire thread and didn’t see one post where someone made fun of you, belittled your consumption or suggested you not post here. Inferiority complex much? Many jokes about holding the glass, swallowing, standing up etc but this is Berserkers and it would not be if nobody had a sense of humor. Respectfully methinks you are barking up the wrong tree.
[cheers.gif]

It was not an personally addressed message which prompted me to post this but rather a general statement to not forget the effect alcohol has on your body.

I am all for jokes but lets keep it real. Sorry if I offended someone.

On the contrary, it sounded like you were offended. We’re all adults here, well mostly, I think everyone has a handle on their consumption. [cheers.gif]

On the contrary, it sounded like you were offended. We’re all adults here, well mostly, I think everyone has a handle on their consumption.

No offence taken - for real.

But I beg to differ your statement about the consumption part. [cheers.gif]

Where would you draw the line? 1 bottle a week? My wife and I average a bottle a night between us. Alcohol consumption equal to that of maybe two beers although I don’t drink a lot of beer. At 56 years old other than being overweight my blood tests show I am a healthy adult. Everyones physiology is different, I know lots of people my age who take a number of medications just to keep their system correct. Why them and not me? I’m overweight and drink 1/2 a bottle of wine every day. Isn’t that an unhealthy lifestyle?

Point being that broad application of what is good and bad for ones health does not stick to every canvas. YMMV.

Well Brian that is a a good question. Like you said it is up a everyones physiology what amount might be adequate to avoid any health effects. The exact amount is being heavily debated and part of numerous short and long term studies. IMO there are just too many variables which prevent us to come up with a functional formula how many alcoholic servings/day/week are deemed acceptable. Just think of the timing of your alcohol consumption. It makes a huge difference if you drink prior consuming food or after.

At the end one will need to deal with the consequences one way or the other. I am glad you found a way which keeps you on a healthy path. Keep it up. [thumbs-up.gif]

I just didn’t agree with your general statement that you believe that everyone here has a handle on their consumption.

I’m not getting why you would raise this question, take offense at some general comments not directed at you and then make a comment questioning “everyone here” etc. You are relatively new to WB I gather?

Siun,

I did explain in detail why I am bewildered and not offended by some comments made here on this site and it was chalked off as a joke which I can understand but not necessarily agree with.

I believe It is fair to say that not everyone has a handle on their consumption. A statement I did not make - but Brian did. I merely responded to it with my personal opinion.

Yes, I am new to this board but this still makes me eligible to express my feelings. When I started this topic I anticipated some grief and knew that I wont win any popularity votes but maybe I get you to think about some important issues which come along with our hobby.
Cheers
Peter

That’s all well and good but I think Siun’s point is that your being relativelt new here and without knowing the vibe of the people it’s a stretch to assume that many have alcohol issues stemming from over-consumption. It’s not a knock on your newbieness nor a suggestion you not post.
I’ve met scores and scores of Berserkers over the years and they are mainly professionals with good social and economic standing who like to share their love for wine with others. I have yet to see one bow out with liver issues or rehab stints.

Brian,
The OP is only speaking for himself wrt people on the forum not having a handle on their consumption, I think.
This is what I gleaned from re-reading his first post.

Brian,

it’s a stretch to assume that many have alcohol issues stemming from over-consumption

I never made that assumption.

If you read the posts you will notice that I just responded to your statement.

I think everyone has a handle on their consumption.

But enough of the nitpicking. I think the big picture is that we are all adults and are well aware about the consequences of our actions and impact on our families/friends and well being/health.

True, that I do not have developed any deep personal relationships with fellow members since I just recently joined, but I am on my way to change that and in the process to organize a local tasting group. I guess once I pass that point I might have a better understanding about the “horsing around” which puzzled me. In the meanwhile stay true to your resolutions whatever they may be.
Peter
PS: I wish we could have such conversations in person (with a glass of wine of course). Just too many details get lost in only typing back and forth which ultimately might lead to unintentional assumptions.

Agreed. Too often, when discussing things online, peoples intentions become misconstrued. If you ever come to Sonoma County I’ll pop a few and we can discuss at length! [cheers.gif]

Sounds like a plan!

I would be very upset if you do not knock on my door when you are in Toronto. [cheers.gif]