Hot Soft Pretzels: Recipe Request

I just ate one today at a farmers market. Delicious!! I have not had one since I was a kid. Anyone have an authentic recipe?

Hail Google

I found 10 million recipes via Google. I guess I am looking for a recipe someone here has experience with, and tastes authentic in their opinion.

The Alton Brown version isn’t bad Ben. But, I’d love to see what some of our bread making peers have to say about some longer rising dough.

Alton Brown did a show on authentic soft pretzels. Turns out commercial pretzels are boiled in a lye and water mixture just before baking. Instead of highly caustic lye he used baking soda.

Here is the link to Alton’s recipe :http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/homemade-soft-pretzels-recipe/index.html and this blogger made Alton’s pretzels Soft Pretzels - Alton Brown Style | The Fresh Loaf

Ron- have you tried that recipe? I have been experimenting with homemade pretzel rolls, work in progress.

To get the authentic taste and color, I really think you need to use lye. I’ve been meaning to do it, just haven’t gotten around to it. I’d second the recommendation to watch The Good Eats epsiode on the subject as he breaks everything down very well including which salt to use.

I’ve made Alton’s recipe twice-- fantastic. Great, authentic color/flavor. The alkaline bath is a must.

I finally got around to making this recipe yesterday. I’d highly recommend it. After making it, I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t use lye at home. You can taste the baking soda in the air when the alkaline solution is boiling and it’s nearly impossible not to drip it on the counter and get it on your skin. So I think I’ll live with the results using baking soda which are still very good.