Horsepower 2012

My understanding (for me) and confirmed by email is that I will get a guaranteed allocation on 1/14. I got the email describing the tnree offerings but nothing about what I would get. I was not a prior Cayuse or No Girls buyer. I signed up at the FCFS sign up (June?) and then got an allocation for (3) '11 Syrah. I am surprised that some people have recieved notifications about their '12 allocations. Maybe those are new buyers and are being told now about the (3) '12’s they will get offered and previous '11 buyers will have more options? I also read the email as future allocations will be based on the '12 purchase. I will be all in with what is offered.

Cool, thanks! I guess I was thinking they might end up allocating some people 2 different wines and some people 3 different wines, rather than relying on first come first serve. But, I don’t really know what they would base that decision on, since it seems like everybody just got a single 3-pack last year. Guess we’ll find out in January…

Got offered Tribe syrah also

I had a bottle of the 2011 Tribe shortly after it arrived. Well, day it arrived actually. It is everything you expect a Cayuse Syrah to be, perhaps a bit more. My biggest question is whether I could pick it out of a blind lineup of other Cayuses syrahs… To me it seemed fairly similar to Armada. Which is great of course, because I love Armada. YMMV.

• 2011 Horsepower Vineyards Syrah The Tribe Vineyard - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley (12/20/2014)
    Double decanted, took a small pour off for initial impression. Very similar to all the 2011 Reynvaans. A very leesy nose, somewhat less reductive/funky than the Cayuse wines, but Christophe’s signature is all over this. Cool climate, olive, brine, game notes - bright acidity, somewhat astringent. More elegant / understated in style, whereas my preferences lean to a little more density and fruit, even in my cool climate Syrahs. Decanted several hours later. After airing out, the funk is replaced by floral aromatics. Very feminine and subtle - there’s a lot going on and a lot to love for those who prefer an ‘intellectual’ wine.

Jody,

Glad you opened one up and gave it a shot. Keep in mind that 2011 was one of the coldest years in a very long time in Washington. Most 11’s will be in the intellectual and more feminine camp as the fruit intensity was not allowed to develop in most areas. I’ve found the 11 Cayuse’s to be a bit more lean and feminine and figure the Horsepower wines will be as well. They just need lots of time to integrate.

The 2012’s will be drinking well from the get go and will definitely have that fruit intensity you are looking for. Essentially, perfect growing conditions. I’d give the 12’s a shot, but if you don’t like them I will take them off your hands or will find somebody who will. Cheers!

Good to know Jared. Sounds like the '12 might be more my speed. I’ll have to give the vintage a try. I’d hate to give up on these after a single vintage as I suspect it won’t be easy to find going forward.

I have to admit I was not impressed with the packaging…I got a wooden box that seems to have been a misfit with a bent screw, a box that’s cracked, and a sort of jig-saw look to the edges given that they don’t seem to quite fit together like they were intended. Anyone else, or was this just random?

Sorry to hear Kirk. Mine arrived in pristine condition and my only qualm was with the excessive outer box and cardboard packing peanuts.

Thanks David…it’s good to hear that this wasn’t a common experience. I just got my letter in the mail. It looks like we buy in January and they ship two months later in March. That was a nice surprise.

Live. Offerred (3) '12 Tribe Syrah, (3) '12 Sur Echalas Syrah and (3) '12 Sur Echalas Grenache. All In. Ordered.

Passing, with a cellar full of Cayuse and I need more Syrah like I need a hole in he head.

Only offered a 3-pack of Tribe, but it’s a start as unlike a lot of you soulless bastards, I don’t have a drop of Cayuse…yet. [cheers.gif]

Would anyone be willing to trade a Horsepower list spot for a No Girls list spot?

I have a full allocation (one of each) and could trade some for Cayuse or No Girls which i am not getting, I don’t need all 9

Does anyone know the production of each of the three wines? I recall during the fall release, the grenache was far more limited than the Tribe syrah.

Really wanted to go all in but settled for the Tribe syrah and the grenache. If anyone wants to set up a trade for a bottle of the Sur Echalas syrah shoot me a PM.

For those who ordered last time - Does anyone know how the shipping reimbursement works, if you were offered it?

is shipping KILLING anyone else?

apparently I have poor reading comprehension is there actually a shipping rebate?

For the fall release it was: 197 cases of Syrah and 131 cases of Grenache, not sure for this one.