Hit me with Spanish Red values

Look carefully at the importer. A lot of times even if the estates are different, there can be the same ‘look & feel’ to wines brought in by certain importers. For some that might be a positive/negative, so I’ll refrain from judgment, but its something to keep an eye on.

Since this thread was started some years ago, I’ve been drinking/buying/and reading more about Rioja and its mildly displaced some other areas of affection. I’m actually reading a poorly translated regional Spanish cookbook (Culinaria Espagana) right now, cutting through the Extredamura chapter (hams!) and its rekindled my interest in wines beyond the high profile DOC’s.

1 Like

Mark if I ever need someone to find out what I said on Facebook 9 years ago you are hired! I get the search feature so no one needs to go there!!! [cheers.gif]

so many good recommendations above. I dissagree with Evodia I think it’s not that good.

Another one that’s awesome value is Raul Perez Ultria St Jacques

https://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1474820

1 Like

Anything from Ribeira Sacra, especially for lighter/elegant wines. Considering how steep the vineyards are to work, the price they sell for is unbelievable.

As a few others I would also highlight wines from Raul Perez. The Ultria St Jacques 2018 is stunningly good. Also wine from the 4 Monos near Madrid made from Grenache are very unique. Very elegant, cool and aromatic.

1 Like

Blake Slate Porrera. I’ve buying since the 2012 release. The 17 is well reviewed.

I find many of the wines from Toro to be excellent buys. And if it’s white wine you want. so much from Rueda is a great buy.

almost everything made in Spain is a value. Even what I would consider my favorite wine made in Spain, Rioja Alta 904, is a steal when you compare its quality to something of similar quality made just about anywhere else in the world.

1 Like

Looks like $55 at Woodland Hills wine shop for the 2011. Is that about right?

The last few Januaries before Covid, we would have a department holiday dinner at Cafe and Bar Lurcat in Minneapolis. The General Counsel would ask me each year to pick a red and a white wine which we would serve before and during dinner. Though he never gave me a hard limit, I of course knew I had to pick relatively inexpensive value wines from off the list.

At least the last two years, I picked the Bodegas Mas Alta Priorat “Black Slate” La Vilella Alta, which is maybe a $20 wine at retail but in the mid $50s off the wine list, and it really delivered well. You’d call it more modern than traditional, but it wasn’t a fruit and oak bomb like some value Spanish wines can be.

I would stop short of saying it’s something I went running to the store to get after having it, but I think I have bought a bottle or two since then.

1 Like

The last time I went to lurcat the guy we were dining with ordered 2 bottles of silver oak (Napa); at least he picked up the check.

Raul Pérez’ everything Castro Ventosa (his home estate). The new ('18 was the first vintage) Vino de Villa is simply outrageously good.
Disclaimer, I represent the wines, and am the only person in the country selling most of them…

1 Like

These are some of my most purchased wines that more than punch above their price:

• Palacio Del Burgo - Rioja Reserva ($13ish)
  • Avancia - Cuvée de O Godello ($15ish)
  • Descendientes de J. Palacios - Pétalos (Bierzo) ($20ish)
  • La Rioja Alta - Alberdi ($20ish)
  • La Rioja Alta - Ardanza ($30ish)
  • R. Lopez de Heredia - Cubillo ($25ish)
  • R. Lopez de Heredia - Bosconia ($35ish)

Atteca Granacha Old Vines. About $15. Drinks at 2x that price.
E719C583-125A-402F-94F4-87B60CED71B1.jpeg

Rare Wine Co has 2001 and 2004 Monte Real and Albina Gran Reservas for $39 each in a mixed case, nice wines, nice price for that age.

Likely found around $10 is Isaac Fernandez Selection Garnacha Campo de Borja Legado del Moncayo. 25 year old vines, no oak, alc is in check. Food friendly. Gilman loves it every year.

Handy mid-week cellar defender for anything not pizza/pasta where I’d look at something like a Barbera.

1 Like

sounds about right, thats current release btw.

This is good to hear since I have two ordered bottles of 2018 Ultreia on summer hold.

Where did you order it from please?

The Valdiz Ribera del Duero isn’t bargain basement, but the last two releases have been excellent. I got the '16 for $27. Great QPR.