Hidden Cellar Door

Im currently in the process of building out a temp. controlled wine cellar in a new house. The entrance is kind of tucked away in a laundry room. So the idea of doing a bit of a “hidden” door came to mind, perhaps in the form of a book shelf door something. Probably a bit of a long shot but curious if anybody has seen or done something similar. I think my hurdle will be the need to do an exterior graded door to keep the room sealed, and then build thee “hiddenness” onto said door.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly taken.

3 Likes

This post has some info.

I have seen one here in Seattle that separated two cellars. The first cellar was of modest size and sparsely filled with inexpensive wines and some ‘joke’ bottles like Mateus Rose and Lancer’s Rose. The second and much larger cellar held a large collection of high end wine. It gave new meaning to the term ‘cellar defenders’ in that the whole idea was to protect the main cellar from theft.

Other than that, I have no input for you.

3 Likes

In the build I’m currently working on for a small wine ‘closet’, I’ll be using a swinging bookshelf as the entrance to the closet. That way I can insulate the back of the bookcase and it will create a nice seal when closed, as well as obscuring the entrance to the wine and providing more shelf space. Just a thought that you may consider.

The Murphy Door company makes “hidden” doors. You can visit their website to get ideas. Or buy from them if you want to spend the money. They have DIY option.

1 Like

That is hysterical and very creative.

1 Like

My step-Daughter and Son-in-law put one in their home.

3 Likes

This is kind of where my head was going. Are you just sealing the back of the bookcase with weather stripping? Or are you putting an outdoor graded door on the back of it?

I have seen what the company Murphy Door offer, but I don’t believe their doors are graded to keep the week or mold up to the moisture given the difference in temps in the cellar vs other room.

1 Like

Yep planning on getting weather stripping all around it to create a nice seal and then putting some insulating foam on it.

my previous cellar was hidden, built into a bookcase with a secret door. Even when we did a refi and appraiser checked out the house, he didn’t find it. It was pretty cool.

1 Like