Help With Merchant Disputes

Hello all, it has fallen upon my shoulders to handle a few different fraudulent transaction cases at my job. I was wondering if anyone has any experience in dealing with these dispute cases and the banks who are responding. I have no experience myself with this and have filed some disputes with the sparse help of our credit card processor.

In one particular case, I just received the news that the issuing bank of a card had declined our pre-arbitration dispute. Despite myself providing proof of delivery, an email address which has the persons name in it, the billing address being provided correctly, the transaction not being flagged by our credit card processor as being fraudulent, no unsuccessful transactions taking place before this purchase was made, the dispute was denied.

The issuing bank has responded saying the individual did not authorize the charge, does not recognize the delivery address or email address, does not know our store, and did not receive any goods, but there was no additional evidence beyond the persons word. While googling the delivery address, we have found online records of the individual being associated with the delivery address, and have found an article saying this individual has attempted to cash multiple fraudulent checks.

We are a very small business and a tiny operation of only myself and one other as an employee, so we do not have the time ourselves to do the amount of research required to educate ourselves on how to tackle this further. To have this dispute escalated further, apparently there may be charges greater than the amount which has been stolen from us so it does not seem like that is an optimal route. Are we just supposed to chalk this up as a failure and accept that we were scammed? Do we contact local police in the individuals area? Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Hi Antonio,

I am so sorry that this has happened to you. You may consider contacting your states Attorney General with the information about the case. I have found banks and businesses are much more responsive to state agency lawyers than individuals.

Good luck!

1 Like