Help with a wine list

Same $100 corkage

Unreasonable Burgundy prices. Corkage $100 is inevitable.

Markups are ludicrous, and for the most part, the wines are too young to enjoy. Corkage!

1 Like

The DRC are only 1.5-2x retail… value?

1 Like

Slim pickings indeed.

Rhys Bearwallow looks reasonable, should drink nicely at 7 years.

The prices for Burgundy on this list seem ridiculous. I would pay the corkage.

But, the most interesting “reasonably” priced wines I see in the Burgundies are:

1. Jean-Claude Ramonet, Bourgogne, Pinot Noir, 2018 215. Ramonet makes really seductive reds as well as fabulous whites. For this price, you should be getting a red Chassagne-Montrachet premier cru from him, but from the list, I find this to be the interesting.

2. Another alternative would be the Paul Pillot, Chassagne-Montrachet, Rouge Vieilles Vignes, 2021 185… I recently tried the Pillot villages CM from 2019 and it was quite nice and pretty drinkable. My guess is that the 2021 would be interesting. I find 2021 to be a real “through-back” vintage to an earlier era of lower alcohol wines and the few I have tasted have been quite attractive. Have not had this 2021, however.

3. The one wine I have actually tasted is the Y. Clerget, Volnay, Les Santenots, Premier Cru, 2020 375. I like Clerget’s Volnays and this one was quite good when I tasted it at the Grand Tasting at the Paulee in 2023 in NYC. Grand Tasting at the Paulee - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers Do note that 2020s are very structured wines and this wine is quite young. I have no idea if it has closed up since I tried it in March 2023.

pay the corkage

I’ll chime in and agree with most above…pay the corkage. You can bring something nice from your cellar and pay a fraction of the price. Those prices are painful…I hope the food is once-in-a-lifetime level.

A premium of over $200 over release price on a $70 bottle is reasonable? Definitely either pay the corkage or drink beer, cocktails, or iced tea.

That’s a good option. Not Burgundy but probably suited to a Burg palate.

It’s about a 2x markup over current retail, not bad.

This could be a good add on second bottle. Lighter bodied but probably quite interesting, food friendly, and suited to a Burg palate.

$500 for a bottle of 2017 Littorai? Oy vey.

The markup on the Raen is only 3x - such a deal!

Agree though had a friend who purchased and popped a bottle in a restaurant 3-4 months ago who would normally be all over something like this. He enjoyed it but thought it would have benefitted from quite a bit more hair (server slip-up meant they basically Pnp’ed it

Agreed I’d just pay corkage.

That said if for some reason that wasn’t In the plans I’d go with the Ar.Pe.Pe. Buon Consiglio. Excellent wine, decent value (on this list), and should be right up the alley of a burg lover.

This wine is absolutely killer. The prices are terrible, but if you had to choose, this is what I would drink. It’s a pretty unusual wine that they only made once AFAIK.

Couly-Dutheil, Clos de l’Olive, Chinon, Loire, 1989 225

Not as great of a deal, but I’d also look into the Champet Vialliere or Chevillon Vaucrains (though this one would be tough to swallow)

Having just had the 2012 cirq treehouse last weekend, it is in a fantastic spot right now, but no way in hell would I pay $850. $100 seems like a tough pill to swallow but I think it makes sense with these markups. Or take the 2019 Mascot for $38 /s

This list is an insult. It’d be corkage or beers for me.

1 Like

agree with the rest, the list is insulting - so much so that I’d have a tough time even with the corkage option, rather give them the finger.

1 Like

I can see and understand some of the comments about the list being insulting but let me offer a different quick point of view. Some of us have been fortunate and enjoy relationships with restaurants and have found great settings to bring bottles and in some cases, not all but some avoid corkage or have quite a discount applied to what we bring. There is that side of this too and I just wanted to reinforce that given what’s been posted here.

Looking at that list and seeing what those prices are, I personally wouldn’t pay $100 for corkage nor would I buy anything off that list but there may not be a choice in some of these situations.