Help, I'm in trouble.....the wife wants white Burgs!

What Ray said. Lots of great suggestions already, looks like you did some shopping, but my rec is a mixed case of one of each of what everyone has recommended and let her try through them.

For example, the Fevre Champs Royeaux and Pernot Bourgogne Blanc are both fine wines, but very different styles. She may like one and dislike the other, once you have some reference points you can build on that and focus more on finding wines with the flavors and characteristics she prefers.

At $15 and under I would go for Luneau Pepin or Pepiere Muscadet.
Skip White Burgundy all together. You won’t find what you seek. The Pernot Bourgogne is a shot as is the Fevre.
I wouldn’t hang my hat on those two however.

If you want to spend a little more…
2007 Chablis, Leflaive Bourgogne Blanc and Roulot Bourgogne blanc would be a start.
If you can find Henri Boillot village level Meursault in 2007, you might find something special for your wife
Bon Chance!

Lots of good suggestions, but anyone that can find St Aubin from a decent producer, Boillot Meursault or the like for close to $15, cut me in on the deal! RAWR!

I second the Brun and Muscadet recs, or Nikolaihof Hefeabzug as another alternative, but why not mix a case of 12 different things? If one of 'em is totally up your alley you can refill, and if not at least you won’t be condemned to drinking the same thing every day.

Josh,
Unless you live in France and have a direct line to the producers, you are not going to find under $15 anything decent in Burgundy I don’t think.
The Boillot was suggested as a special bottle.
I think the 2007 village wine from Boillot might turn some heads.

Don, have you had it? I’m a big fan of Boillot’s whites (the reds not so much) and (so far) a big fan of 07 white burg… it would be wonderful to know that premox issues were resolved but until then I’m a bottom feeder on close-outs, St Aubins, village Meursault / Chassagne / Puligny, etc…

Interesting. I’ve had a few of these locally also but they are under cork for about $22(still a bargain IMO). I did see the Petit Chablis from Brocard under screw cap though for ~$14 though I have yet to try it.

at Max’s store Wineconn.com the 07 Drouhin St Veran is great case buy around $14.00 per btl incl tax.

will this fit the bill if you do a case discount?
http://www.winerz.com/13a_BNWE2001064.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Suzanne - good option that Drouhin. Definitely will look into it.

Steve M. - my bad, the Clos des Allees is Luneau-Papin NOT Pepiere.

Ray - I adore St. Aubin (I recall a 95 Jadot I had about 8 years ago that was amazing…also love the anythin from the Colin clan), but dude…if you can obtain ANY St. Aubin for under $20, like Josh said, let us know.

Brent - it’s funny you mention the variety in styles in relation to her preference. She insists that she’s not a fan of ripe, fat Chardonnay. Yet what got her hooked was some awesome, albeit quite ripe, 06 Domaine Gros F & S Hautes Cotes de Nuits Blanc that I got from PC for a super deal of just under $16. So go figure.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I might follow Keith’s (an other’s) advice and get a mixed case of stuff to see what she ends up liking most.

Ray,

I wrote the previous post before you posted the link. One word: wow!

Thanks.

Jorge,

Don’t quote me, but I believe that I bought an aged LP from Chambers, and it was outstanding. Check out their site, and if there is an aged one there, I would go for it. These wines are just fabulous for the money. And I am understating it. Alan W knows what I am saying. It is just nuts how good these wines are for the money vs white burgs.

Steve,

I believe you 100%. Chambers is a mere 2 subway stops from my office building. In fact, at a good pace I can walk to it in about 15 minutes during lunch time. I know they have mid to late 90s Muscadet. I really should give one a try one of these days.

Thanks.

Another one but not in the same class as the Brocard. I’m not sure that I should admit to drinking this. [shock.gif] :slight_smile:

2007 Cave de Lugny Mâcon-Villages - about $11 again in the lean, acidic mode

I had the 07’ Fevre Royaux a month ago and it was stunning for the $18 price tag…

I believe that was the bottle Leah brought to a dinner in Sherman Oaks - I liked it a lot, too (and I’m not much of a white wine fan!).

Mark, I’m glad you liked the White Burg I brought but it was 04’ Fevre Les Clos… Have fun tonight! Leah

Bevmo $15…

2007 Joseph Drouhin St. Véran - France, Burgundy, Mâconnais, St. Véran (6/4/2009)
This is VERY nice for a simple sipper Burg. Lemon/lime citrus, stones and minerals, lanolin, white flowers, honeycomb wax. Nice sharp and crisp green apple skin acidity, supported with wonderful Burgundy lemons and stones, slightly creamed. All in a simple package…but VERY tasty for the money! Great wine!!! (91 pts.)

Trying to keep a wife on a budget is a fool’s errand.

Trying to buy good Burgundy on a budget is not impossible, but you can see impossible from there.

Trying to keep your wife in good Burgundy on a budge may be the Autobahn to insanity. Just skip the trip and do one of two things. 1) Shoot your self in the head; or 2) just start of buying her Coche-Dury and Comte Lafon 1er Crus and enjoy what you can of the ride until you either win the lottery or they come to take you to the poor house.

Or as I’ve said to others who get bitten by the Burg bug, “Welcome to the dark side, you poor SOB.”

Seriously, you’ve gotten a lot of good suggestions, and as I’m late to the thread I’m not sure that I have a lot to add. The first wine that I think of that I haven’t seen mentioned is one made by Anne Gros of all people. She makes a Bourgogne Haut Cote de Nuits blanc that can be quite good in better vintages. Not sure what it retails for now, but it can be a great value and a good wine. Kind of minerally and crisp. Not a lot of depth, but if you can find a white Burg with great fruit depth at that price point, you’re a great man.

I’ve also had a wine on two occasions, both at restaurants, that I was very impressed with. Domaine de la Cadette Bourgogne Vézelay. It’s a Kermit Lynch import and each time I had it was at a restaurant in the East Bay/N. California area. We had a largish party at dinner and needed a less expensive wine that was still a good food wine and this filled the bill admirably. Not quite sure what it retails for, but it should be at least in the neighborhood of your price range.

I do think that if you’ll expand your budget by $5 or so, you can really improve the quality (or at least variety) of what you can drink. I like the Brocard recommendation as well as the Leflaive “Les Setilles” recommendation. I’m not sure on the Bourgogne blancs. I dont’ buy much at that level any more, but I fear you won’t be able to get the better white producers unless you go up to teh $20 - 30 range. The Thevenet Macons are a good recommendation. I think that the Verget idea is a good one, but given that you live in NYC, you might well be able to do better given the plethora of retailers you have to carry Burgundy.

used to buy latour montagny 1er cru by the case 15+ years ago, though in truth i’ve lost touch with it, and aside from the flash pasteurization issue, it meets the $15 ceiling, and might be available for less if you can catch a sale.

don’t know ray’s suggestion, though morey blanc always sounds promising, but two which are close in price that have been mentioned that i think are winers are ramonet bb and anne gros haut cotes de nuits bourgogne blanc (there is a reg version and cuvee marine - i prefer the cuvee marine). and then going up from there, leflaive bb is a winner, but for that price you can find boillot village or 1er cru on sale or at pc now and again …