Healdsburg area tasting room recommendation for a civilian

Yes, and there is also a new co-op TR “Cellars of Sonoma” …

Competition getting thick here on the Square!

Rosenblum is long gone (I have their original spot)

It’s hard to image that of the 25+ tasting rooms within walking distance of the Plaza that there would be “None that any of us would try”…

Roadhouse Winery (Me!)
Hartford Court
Siduri
Stonestreet
La Crema
Ulysses Valdez
Selby
Williamson
Cartograph
Mueller
Banshee
Cellars of Sonoma
Trust Wines
Sanglier
Spicy Vines
Ferrari Carano
C Donatiello
Vintage Wine Estates
Lioco
Thumbprint
Toad Hollow
Gustafson
Hawley
Portalupi

and probably another 20 or so a few blocks away where Holdredge is on Front St.

And probably others I’m forgetting!

There’s also Toad Hollow just off the square.

I’ve been to Holdredge, and I love John and his wines. But I think the appeal of visiting there is more to folks like us, and relatively less to folks like I’m describing here, who would probably prefer more ambience and scenery and so forth.

Ferrari Carano is a good suggestion - I don’t love their wines but they’re solid, and the setting which seems a little overly grandiose for my tastes is probably a hit with the casual visitor.

Arista would be a top recommendation for me. Gorgeous estate, really friendly tasting room, and arguably the best new releases being poured anywhere in the Russian River Valley. Wines are made by former Marcassin winemaker Matt Courtney. Ask for Andy in the tasting room on the weekends; he also works in production (which is rare for tasting room staff) and can really give you an insight into how these wines are made.

Mueller and Cartograph on/near the Plaza.

Siduri for sure!

This is great. I’m thinking of doing some tasting in Healdsburg the first weekend of September, but fear it’ll be harvest season. They do have a Sonoma Wine Country Weekend coming up: http://sonomawinecountryweekend.com/

But again, this is a winery making wines in the $60-100 price range. I don’t doubt your recommendation, but it’s not really what I’m looking for in this instance.

Thanks everyone for taking time to reply.

To round out my set of recommendations, can anyone recommend a good place inside of Healdsburg city, which has a decent number of white wines, has at least some moderately priced wines, and which accepts walk in visitors? I would recommend Siduri, Holdredge or Roadhouse, except they make all or mostly red wines, and as I mentioned, the wife only drinks white. I would recommend Lioco, but they only do 90 minute tastings by reservation (for $50 a person).

Thanks!

Another Dry Creek Vineyards rec here.
JD

Doesn’t K-J have a wine center along 101 in the Healdsburg area? It has a ton of wine types along with vines of different types that can be walked through. I know K-J is looked down upon by many here but this seems to something to consider.

Cheers,
Curt

Based on your stated criteria I would highly recommend Mueller.

Medlock Ames is scenic, good wines, only a few whites though. One of the better tastings at a winey that I’ve had.
Walter Hansel is $45 or less, great wine, and the lowest-key tasting you can find. It’s on the patio of the warehouse. And no charge.

Based on your criteria - LaCrema

If memory serves me correct, Hawley had some whites my wife and I enjoyed.

Ferrari Carrano also had some good whites and they have two different areas they can taste in. The grounds were gorgeous.

I’d second Joseph Swan as a can’t miss, even if they’re not going to geek out. Their Viognier is fantastic as well as their SVD Chards for the white selections. The hubby will be pleased with a wide range of reds.

Maybe Lynmar as well?

Fulton Rd at 101. Need to exit at River and go west to Fulton then North. KJ last left before overcrossing

Roadhouse winery?

Yes.

HKG has pretty looking grounds.

I like Moshin and they make a number of whites.