HDH’s Burgundy auction today

I’ve bought from them in the past with satisfactory results, but don’t seem to be on their list any more… I did not know about this auction.

Can somebody fill me in on what white Burg prices were like in general? What defines ‘good GC Chablis’? $400 sounds very high to me also.

Dan Kravitz

I would not trust Alan Eden’s definition of “good GC Chablis” (nor wine for that matter). Raveneau and Dauvissat both sold well, but beyond Raveneau Clos or a few rare bottles with 20+ years on them, I don’t recall many Chablis that broke the $400 barrier.

11- 2010 Raveneau MdT $4,000 before vig.

2012 rav clos. $925 each 5 btls. Absolutely ridic

Certain vintages of Raveneau Clos have been floating around 1k for a while now.

This is really good wine but that is ENCROYABLE! I guess I need to sell mine.

Screw that. I am drinking mine!

Cheapest way to drink Raveneau Clos these days is to fly to Paris.

I think the herd caught on about 8-10 years ago.

Hah! My exact thought.

I’m with Maureen, relative to my expectations and prior auctions, pricing wasn’t too crazy this weekend. Of course, the big names are practically untouchable. And even the non-big names had many (most?) lots that were irrationally bid over the top. But there was still relative value to be found. That’s the new reality, especially with a blue chip book at a blue chip auction house.

Young Gouges and Chevillon at >$200 a bottle was quite interesting to see.

My experience was different. I bid on 37 lots and 18 of those lots went for more than the high estimate. And there was no DRC, Rousseau, Roumier, etc. in those bids.

My sense was (and I hardly sat through the whole thing or anywhere close to it) bidding/pricing was stronger on Day 2 - lots more high estimates hit and more even higher than that with similar producers both days.

Prices at HDH tend to be the highest of all the auction houses, and generally almost nothing slips through the cracks.

My experience was reasonably similar.

51 bids

• 4 wins (1 at high estimate, 2 just below high, 1 below low)
  • 47 losses (18 above high estimate, 12 at high, 17 below high)

With this book, I expected to win a couple lots of the 50ish in which I was interested. Of course, I was bidding within the estimated range, and often on the lower end … so knew many of my bids were D.O.A.

Totally agree.

I bought one lot from this auction.
the 3b 2000 MG Ruchottes.
Bought in 2013 at auction for $187.00 per bottle all in and now 5 years later at $358.50 all in.
I think this follows the fine wine market. Prices in the secondary market have increased for good producers at auction almost 200% in the last 5 years.
$200.00 a bottle for Robert Chevillon is crazy.

None of my bids hit but I priced cautiously, relatively speaking. One thing that jumped out to me is that René Engel wines seem to have taken another significant step up in price. Not a lot of discrimination by vintage or cru. I can’t imagine the Chinese are chasing these, and also wonder how many of those bottles get opened at this point?

Jonathan

Yes, this. I tried to win some freaking VILLAGE Engel and it ended up going for hundreds per bottle.