Hazy IPAs/New England IPAs

Didn’t he think it was a flaw at the time though, which is why the can directs you to drink from it rather than pouring it. I’ve read several explanations over the years but that always seemed reasonable since it was odd for the time.

I’ve only purchased them at the brewery, I don’t think either distributor their cans.

[thumbs-up.gif]

I always ignore that recommendation and pour it in a glass, floaties and all !

Cheers,

Bud

My faves from the Mid-Atlantic to New England are, in wine speak

Fruit Forward

Tree House (Ma)
Other Half (Brooklyn)
New Park (ct)
Tired Hands PA (New Zealand Hop Styles)
Industrial Arts Wrench (Brooklyn)

More Structured

Trillium (MA)
Alchemist (VT)
Tired Hands (Mosaic based hop DIPAs)
Maine
SingleCut (Queens)

Going out on a limb here… I have unlimited access to what some would consider the best NE IPAs in the mid Atlantic (Veil, Triple Crossing, Aslin) and would be interested in trades for NE (treehouse) or preferably wine, for anyone who’s trying to free up space in the cellar. PM if interested.

At my local brewery last week, and the server was wearing what looked to be a MAGA hat, but the words instead said “Make IPA’s Clear Again”…pretty funny.

She admitted she liked the hazy ones as well, but the hat was too funny to pass up.

Love Second Fiddle. Love the Fiddlehead IPA even more. But Rarified Air hits a sweet spot for me with regard to alcohol content.

Second Fiddle - 8.2%
Fiddlehead IPA - 6.2%
Rarified Air - 5%

My scenario is that I’m having a beer Apres Ski and after two Second Fiddle’s or Heady Topper’s I could be a bit trashed and ready for bed at 6pm. And after two Rarified Air’s I’m all good.

I’m about 75/25 negative/positive on the floaties thing. More often than not, it turns me off. I remember drinking a Burlington Beer Company pale ale called Elaborate Metaphor last summer that basically had a layer of sludge that came out of the bottom of the can. I have trouble getting past that.

Don’t blame you in the slightest. One of the arguments for drinking them fresher is as much about the appearance/texture as it is about flavor IMHO. The longer they sit the more the detrius can settle out and coagulate. I’ve had some NEIIPA I like better flavor-wise after 6-8 weeks, as long as they haven’t gotten too chunky.

Unfiltered IPAs are not so uncommon in craft beer history, but usually was one of the first things to disappear once the brewery started to distribute over a larger area. I remember some 1997 era Lagunitas IPA (as I put on my TomHill hat) that were absolutely chunky when I first visited. The New England type of hazy also seems to have come about as breweries have pushed to the more floral types of hops and started adding more wheat and oats into the malt to lighten the weight.

We strain wine with sediment. Can do the same for chunky IPAs. I do

Revision Brewing in Reno puts out some seriously tasty options. Brought some with me to VT two weeks ago and their Reno As Fuck NEIPA beat out a lot of local beers in a blind taste test of 10 peoplE. Worth looking out for.

Funny enough, I just drank that beer for the first time. It was excellent. I’ve had other Revision beers, but that is my favorite of theirs thus far.

We have been pounding Revision for 2 years as our local guy was a very early OR supporter of theirs. Disco Ninja was crazy fine.

This is Three Magnets High Road out of Olympia, WA. Sweet mother of God it was fantastic.
F63EB1C3-230E-4F32-8EF7-D4A100CDEAD3.jpeg

That looks mighty fine Glenn, I can also say that Disco Ninja is one of my personal favorite Revision beers, it stands out from the rest of them, it’s a little more austere and delicate as opposed to a smack ya up side of the head with a 2 x 4 kinda beer.

Cheers,

Bud

That Three Magnets was crazy smooth.

If anyone wants to try Revision beers, let me know. They’re delivered weekly to my local shop in Las Vegas…happy to spread the love.

Wow. Looks more like Kombucha.

Cant have a real discussion about Hazy NE beers without these guys, this one has always been at the top of the food chain. Thanks Jorge !

Cheers,

Bud

Way to go Matt, now thats true beer advocacy at the highest level, stoked we get pretty good distro down here in So Cal. Hope all is well with you and the fam in your newish surroundings. If your jonesing for any So Cal juice let me know man.

Cheers,

Bud