Hazy IPAs/New England IPAs

I’m not up on the history…did the haze craze start with Trillium and Treehouse or did it start up in VT with the Alchemist and the likes?

not sure either.

Is this avail. in stores? I’ll be in MN for a week very soon, and would seek it out if I can get it at a Total Wine, or something.

I agree, some of the Hazy Pales with less ABV are quite good. A local one right now out of Astoria, OR that’s stellar is the Fort George City of Dreams.

you won’t find it in Total Wine - they stay away from them - mainly smaller stores - check their website, their ‘755’ Hazy IPA is the best IPA I have had in quite a few years - and if you are around - stop by my brewery - Yoerg’s Brewing Company - 378 Maria in Saint Paul -

Cool. Thanks, Thomas.

I’d love to stop by your brewery, but not sure it’s going to happen this visit. We get in late on a night, then drive up to Paynesville the next morning, where I’ll be spending the following week. We then drive back to the cities for a cousin’s wedding, then back to CA the next day. My only possibly opportunity is the day of my cousin’s wedding, but I bet all the timing is too tight. That said, this year is a MN Thanksgiving year, so perhaps at that time. :slight_smile:

Headed to Minneapolis in August and am trying to scout out some haze. Is Blackstack where it’s at?
Also co-sign the Richmond, Virginia, recs above. When The Veil and Triple Crossings hit—and their success rate is high—it’s as good anything I’ve had in the genre.

John Kimmich is commonly referred to as the originator of the hazy NE styled IPA/DIPA with the introduction of The Alchemists’ Heady Topper way back in 2003, long before Trillium or Treehouse started brewing commercially.

Cheers,

Bud

Interesting that none of you east coast NE-centric hop heads haven’t mentioned New Park Brewing out of West Hartford CT. I had a taste of a few of their amazing beers last night that included Double Cloud with our tasting/share group that completey blew me away, one of the most amazing mouth feels on a beer I’ve ever tasted, the beer overall is probably one of the best NE styled DIPA’s Ive had this year. I’m on the hunt now for these guys, otherworldly.

Cheers,

Bud

Cody, the new batch of Critical Band should be available in Portland now as well, great hazy shelfy QPR.

Cheers,

Bud

Agree. I haven’t tried either Outer Range or Cerebral, but will look for them my next ale run. Weldworks is killing it. [drinks.gif]

Good choices.
Tree House mentioned above is among the top. Wonderful hazy IPAs, each with a unique flavor profile. Some lean tropical, others more stone fruit, and some heavy grapefruit/citrus notes.

Lawson’s SugarHouse IPA is alo a good hazy IPA but clocks in at 6.2% so a little lighter than many others.
The Alchemist’s Heady Topper is still excellent, if fresh.
For Fiddlehead, I prefer Second Fiddle to Rareified Air. Fuller body.

Thanks Bud. Will have to look out for it!

If in Chicago…

• Hop Butcher
  • Phase 3
  • Corridor
  • MORE
  • Pipeworks
  • Hubbard’s Cave
  • Maplewood

Those would be my top tier producers. Loving what is being made here in Chicago these days.

Edson,

I think the consensus would be that Heady Topper is the ‘OG’ Hazy IPA and 10-12 years ago they were the only game in town. Little by little that has changed.

I wouldn’t argue that the west coast stuff is better as any Monkish I’ve had has been amazing. I’m not really into cross country trading as I question whether the shipping impacts beer quality, and sadly I don’t get out your way much.

The smart thing to do is Drink Local!

Bud,

You are correct, I mistakenly left out New Park. They are awesome. I’ve been there twice, but not this year. CT had some stupid laws that only allowed you to pick up something like 16 cans and a growler to go, so a 3-4 hr round trip from NYC never really made sense. They just expanded the limits, and I will stop there on my way to/from Boston in a couple weeks. Love the fruit beers and they have amazing hazy IPA’s.

Another along the same lines is Imprint in Bucks County PA. A friend is about 15min away in Doylestown, and it’s a mandatory stop for me now when I visit him. Will be there next weekend to trade some Root + Branch.

You are lucky to be close to New Park Brent, what I had completely knocked my socks off, anytime you need some good ol west coast haze and have a few extras don’t hesitate to PM me !

Cheers,

Bud

Without a doubt -

I received a can of their 2 On back in January and I thought for a big TIPA it was really well constructed and very tasty, I would love to taste more of their portfolio.

Cheers,

Bud

Moonraker

[berserker.gif] [berserker.gif] [berserker.gif]

movies-richard-kiel-roger-moore-together-6.jpg