Have I become a wine snob? Say it ain't so.

Not the best example I’m throwing out there but not true that they have no flavor. Type and quality of raw materials, type of filtration and distillation process all have an impact on how it tastes. I’ll grant you at the lower end, they all lack flavor.

I think you did the right thing, but after one glass of the swill I would switched to the good beer.

To answer the question… No you are not a wine snob. You also did a good thing by celebrating a well earned retirement.

It is more than likely that better bottles would have not been fully appreciated by the majority of attendees. However, more care in finding better QPR wines could have been exercised. The KJ Chard is not exactly inexpensive and there are less expensive whites that I find palatable. I would have opted for the beer.

No, you are not a wine snob, Brian. Not yet…

Recognizing you have a problem is the first step.

I had a wine last night that tasted like a Syrah. It’s color was like a pinot, very light. Unfortunately, the label said it was a cabernet. It doesn’t mention anywhere that it might be a blend. Crappy stuff.

I am happy to admit that I am a wine snob. Plus, it is easier to spell than connisuer, connasuer, connasewer, connoisseur. That’s it.

At least you didn’t start some long-winded thread about deck fasteners like that other guy.

I’m lucky, in that, in addition to being a wine snob, I’m also a wine slut. I can often, although not always, shut off the snob thing.

Only 11 to go… [cheers.gif]

[middle-finger.gif] [wink.gif]

Well said. Too many pretentious folks here…be polite, drink up, and enjoy yourself.

It really doesn’t have anything to do with pretentiousness. I just don’t need the alcohol or calories if I’m not going to enjoy it.

You’re not a wine snob yet. You haven’t talked down to those of us who drink Australian, South American, Spanish, California or Washington wines. BUT, you are getting close. When you start thinking/talking/acting like Sheldon Cooper on wine, I’ll send you a snob certificate.

Brian’s a wine snob, Brian’s a wine snob neener neener neener

Never mind. Carrie issued you your snob card…

Uh oh. Three posts and no last name? Come out of lurkdom and tell us what you like. Some of us have vast tastes and hopefully no pretense.

I’ll take a stab at it…

Anomyces? neener

No pretense from this geek!

I had a wine snob moment last night. Dining in Vegas at Hakkasan, which has a surprisingly deep and interesting wine list. The other wine enthusiast in our crowd declares he doesn’t recognize anything, because there are no “big names” (his words - meaning anything that’s not a Napa cab (no disrespect)). I recognized probably 80%+ of the names, though I fell short on the Germans, so I haven’t achieved true deep wine snob status yet, but I felt a moment of guilty superiority.

Very dangerous move, Mark. Best avoided. Never total up what you’ve spent on wine, a good outcome just isn’t possible. :wink: [wow.gif] [snort.gif]

Oh yeah, been a lurker. Was at the Bedrock pickup yesterday (took a chance based on this forum), and thought “damn, a lot of wine berserker snobs here!”

I will say the board was right about Bedrock, very impressed.

“I asked the little woman…”

[shock.gif]