Hats Off To The Kosta Browne Marketing Team

This issue with this fiasco actually has very little to do with economics and supply vs. demand, and more to do with managing a business and customer base, when your model is dependent on providing a superior product and/or customer experience.

KB even admitted this offering was a disaster in their correspondence to me in the aftermath, despite being assured by the ecommerce company that manages their site that it would be able to handle the traffic. The question is not whether or not the wines would sell out or be in high demand - I mean, duh. That was pretty obvious to everyone. The issue is with how the offering was structured in the first place, which it appears they realize in hindsight. They were incredibly apologetic in their correspondence, which I appreciated, but there are too many great choices out there for me to waste time feeling frustrated about a winery, and this incident left me feeling incredibly frustrated.

Have at it - fill your cellar with all the SVD you can fit into it, and I’ll just sit over here and buy from MacDonald, Myriad, Rivers-Marie, Lillian, Fairchild, etc., with their incredible customer service, and equally incredible wines. And then we’ll both be happy!

What is it that offends you, Richard? Just that the ecommerce site crashed or didn’t work well during the offer?

I understand that’s frustrating, but it doesn’t exactly give any offense to have happened once.

+1. I agree this offering was mishandled, and understand customers’ frustration. Also interesting that KB admits it (thanks for that report).

But having bought KB wines for 10+ years, and, other than this, I’ve found their customer service to be excellent and their allocation system to be transparent and reasonably fair.

There is a nuanced difference between “frustrated,” and “offended.” The problems didn’t offend me, but rather I was incredibly frustrated with the process, and have been for a little while with the customer service from KB in general.

To me, my preference is for better customer service paired with great wine - I gravitate towards that combination with the vineyards I buy from - like the ones I listed. You can include Bevan, Abreu, and even Harlan in that category as well.

I guess my expectations were too high for KB, and my perceived lack of good customer service finally overtook my enjoyment of the wine. Sorry for the venting - but the “educated people” comment set me off yesterday. Guess I need another glass of wine to chill out…ha!

I totally get it Richard. If I had been a loyal buyer for years, and they repaid me with this train wreck of an offering of ‘special’ wines to everyone and their mother without giving those who have been supporting them for a long time the first opportunity to purchase them…id be a little ‘frustrated’ as well.

$hitloads of wine out there boys, no need to fight.

There was no “educated people” comment above - but in case you were using my post as an excuse to vent or brag about your purchases of “Bevan, Abreu, and even Harlan,” I merely indicated that those who took economics in college know about supply and demand. I have never had anything but wonderful service from KB, and I excuse a computer glitch from virtually anyone. Sure Harlan and others have good customer service - anyone selling a premium product should have such service or they USUALLY won’t be around much longer. There is one board darling that I really like, that I have never had an issue with, from who others claim to have received bad (or no) customer service. Yet, they sell out of wine every time with wine that is entirely 100+/bottle. Again, it is demand! Here the frustration is understood, but it wasn’t something intentional. I am sure they received dozens or maybe even hundreds of calls and emails in the two hours that the system struggled with until they sold out through those who got through on the internet browser.

Bud, I think the 2003’s were $38 - but, the 2002 were less (maybe even $28). Your point is well taken but it also is not only the winery raising prices. I bet grapes have increased ten-fold since 2002. Look at what Beckstoffer is doing to the premium Cab market.

Bruce. I checked again. The 2003 Sonoma Coast was $28. The 2003 RRV was $38.

Ok. Thanks Bud.

Why would I care to brag about who I purchase from? I drink to enjoy, not to impress. The wineries I listed in both my posts were my examples of wineries that have provided me with exemplary customer service, which I wanted to highlight. KB has given you great customer service, which is great. I don’t happen to share that experience over the past several years, so I’m removing myself from the list. Like you said, good service and bad service can happen with anyone, anywhere.

Maybe I read more into your message than you intended, but at the time it came across to me as condescending as hell to anyone who didn’t like how KB handled the release or was frustrated with the process.

At any rate, it’s over, and I’ve moved on from the release, and from KB (other than responding to this message). I’m sure there are better things we can think to discuss!

Geez, this bickering has taken my mind off my Screaming Eagle, SQN, Dana Estates, Schrader, Deus Ex Vinum, and Bryant buying.

That was awesome

[cheers.gif]