Hats Off To The Kosta Browne Marketing Team

Can we merge this thread with the “Who makes high throttle pinots” thread?

2016 vintage. A little bird told me the sources were Sebastiano, Francesca and La Encantada
KB sources so much fruit from various sites, its tough to keep track. But how their style translates to SRH fruit has me curious

I’m actually wondering if they got some Clos Pepe fruit as well :slight_smile:

Seriously, why is anyone buying this stuff, let alone getting on wait lists for it? Tons of great stuff available out there for less money.

The first post had it right. It goes to the label on the bottle rather than what’s inside, not to take away from what are a well made set of wines - whether it’s your style wheelhouse or not. Nothing grows a wait list like a wait list. Good for them, and it does make for a heck of a nice gift.

now that you mention it, think I saw some at their winery. Maybe a new SV?

Because we like it? Certainly those who don’t can buy other wines instead.

They’re also not these gigantic fruit bombs that people remember, or heard people call them, back in 2003-2005 or so. Since 2007, they’re around 14.5 most of the time, with pretty good acid and balance.

I know it will always be fashionable on WB to make them the poster boy for all that is bad in California wine, but if someone snuck one into your glass blind, you’d probably be surprised. Not saying you or anyone would fall in love (that depends on what you like), but you would be surprised after a decade of people acting like their pinots taste like Alto Moncayo.

I stopped buying from them when they increased the 4 barrel which would have been $150 shipped in. Was one of the LOD’s and bought about 2 cases per year. They got greedy.

Well stated.

There are plenty of wines on here that seem to be ‘easy targets’, and KB seems to be a major one (Many would out Sea Smoke in the same category).

These guys still gave a ‘soft spot’ with me due to an epic barrel tasting Tony Velbeil and Michael Browne led us on back in 06 . . .

Cheers!

Was going to grab the 3 Sta. Rita Hills but with $13/btl shipping and tax, I had to pass

The website crashed. Emails took forever. Watched Carrie going nuts trying to get her order in. First come, first served can be good, particularly if you have a product that is inferior to the norm. It’s better than dumping it on Wine Access and lose credibility. An option would have been to offer it to the longest standing mailing list members, IF you know who they are. If you don’t, first come first serve to the mailing list members. Since I doubt there would be an inferior product, I’m going with they didn’t number the members to determine seniority.

Are folks that are angry about the pricing surprised?This was the only outcome after the, IMNSHO, absurd price the current owners paid for the winery.

I disagree with the critics!

I have to believe that most of you college-educated people took economics sometime in your life. Supply v. demand. Willing buyers already on their list were anxious to pay a premium for three “new” wines and their website crashed. They were transparent that this offer was to the entire list - maybe even wait listers too. I too encountered the problems and wanted the Keefer/Gap’s blend for $100/per btl. I had barrel samples of the consolation wine in April but for the life of me I don’t remember which vineyards it was sourced from. I think I would remember if they said Clos Pepe. I may order a few now as I have no idea what the allocation will be when the appellations are offered for sale. And as to price, almost every premium winery has been slowly increasing prices as they held them firm during the recession years. I don’t fault a winery for increasing prices proportionately - but I abhor those that simply raise prices to reflect a great Parker score. KB is not in that camp. IIRC the appellations have increased from $58 to $68 over a ten year period of time.

I smile at the pricing comments in this thread, and elsewhere, as some are from the same people who proudly pay $200+ for a bottle of Burgundy and think they’re getting a good deal.

If you enjoy it, you buy it. I enjoy and buy their wines. If they are not your style or not worth the premium to you, I’d like bigger allocation of the SVD offered to me, so please, please, unsubscribe. There are plenty in line to take your place. I am sure KB is not worried.

A $35 increase for the 4 barrel which was to be a reward for their original customers remaining loyal to them for 20 years seems greedy to me. Not good business.

Bruce, the 2003 Sonoma Coast pinot retailed for $28.

i think first come first served is occasionally a good concept. similar to when SQN opened up NoK to active and waitlist members on a first come first served basis. some people who would otherwise have waited years and years to get a single bottle of SQN now had a direct shot at some manfred wines. KB decided to do the same. Most importantly, KB was upfront about how they were going to distribute the wines. damned if they do, damned if they don’t.

Am I the only one who momentarily thinks “James Molesworth” every single time?

Nope

i had an interesting exchange with Mr Zuccarino where he made that same mistake.

That must have been amazing. Any chance you can paraphrase?