Has Anyone Ever "Doctored" a Wine?

Drop a shot of Amaretto in a mug of beer and voila! Dr. pepper!

No way!

I gotta try that.

Too low brow for Fu. He does Montrachet into Armand de Brignac.

I know of a winemaker down here who bought a lot of '82 Bordeaux (mainly 1st growths) in the early 90’s. He thought the wines didn’t have quite enough acidity so he dosed each bottle up with a little extra acid and re-corked.

I dosed up some wine with acid, once, but I didn’t recork

It was Wente Grey Reisling, on Asilomar Beach, but I Digress.

You mean white port and TONIC. Never seen anyone use club soda there.

+1

Beyond this it’s just the occasional ice cube

For a friends birthday we carved a liquor luge from a 100lb block of ice.(you cut channels in the ice from the top to the bottom, pour booze in at the top, put your mouth at the bottom and viola…a chilled shot of your choice.) The best thing we ran down the luge was Krug (of course it was).

Add a little 151 on top, light it on fire and you have the best shot ever…Flaming Dr.
Pepper!

Note to self: party with Marcus.

+1

When my wife hosts book club I like to add some melted butter to the Rombauer Chardonnay.

One of the funniest episodes on Northern Exposure

I just doctored my first wine. I may even try something else but so far I added just a bit of sugar. I opened the 2013 Chimney Rock Arete. Paid about $60 for the bottle. It was a bit weak, thin and lacking of much fruit at all. Figured I would try just a very small amount of sugar. Not sure it helped but… Next I may try a little fruit. I have some raspberries, blackberries, strawberries and a few other fruits. Just going to try a small dash.

Enough of half measures. Get some mulling spices, add them and simmer it.

I’ve tried some salt in 1-2 wines to see how it affects bitterness. I’ve also added some sugar to couple undrinkable low/zero dosage champagnes.

The only non-wine additives I remember using (they may be others I don’t remember) are raspberries and strawberries in sparkling wines and even sometimes Champagne. This is very highly recommended with young and/or neutral bubblies, especially in spring and summer.

Thread drift: However I often blend wines at home. Your White Burg just touched with premox? A dash of good fresh Macon or cool climate California Chard can turn a drinking chore into a drinking pleasure. 1er Cru red Burg a little long in the tooth? A few drops of young Bourgogne can save the day. That really good basic Appellation Bordeaux Chateau that it turns out is tired at ten years? There are other uses for entry-level Argentine Malbec and Chilean Carmenere, but this could be a good one.

Heresy, heresy, I know, I know. You can burn me at the stake later.

Dan Kravitz

To the contrary, you’ve inspired me.

Rereading this thread inspires me to try something I considered 10 years or so ago. I was curious if I could approximate a 100-point Parker wine.

I figured I’d start with something pretty extracted, with a good deal of tannin, but without a signature flavor profile. Perhaps a good cru bourgeois Bordeaux. Perhaps a $40 Argentine malbec. I would then experiment with additions of:

• creme de cassis
  • creme de cacao
  • Dr Pepper or Coke
  • vodka (depending on whether or how much creme de cassis I’d added)

All suggestions for alternative base wines or other additions welcome!

One guy in a past wine group I was in added Vodka to Cab & put it in a blender, not so good result !
He made up for it by also serving a Petrus.

Years ago I ordered 100 cases of 1972 Chorey Cote de Beaune from Tollot Beaut on a direct import…In other words,no sending it back. The wine was not attractive on arrival, As a joke, I added a little raspberry wine to a bottle and poured it for people but then the store owner’s wife tasted it, went ballistic over how great it was, and sold 16 cases to her friends before I could say a word…I never told anybody until now. Fortunately the wine recovered from travel shock and the wine was great and a great value.