Has Anyone Ever "Doctored" a Wine?

He meant “you complete me” but was embarrassed to post it.

Brokeback Chinon.

I emptied my bottle of Cocchi Americano earlier today and I was wondering if I can make my own. Not available here on the desert and I don’t have a camel train arriving for another month or so.

These?

http://g.nordstromimage.com/ImageGallery/store/product/Large/7/_11575167.jpg

I’m game, so long as you’re willing to accessorize with the fez. Something tells me that those tassels would tickle.

And by “something” I mean, my personal experience.

You and Corey should be talking.

Pretty sure that the UAE frowns on men sharing Cocchi.

The only doctoring I have done is a bit of experimenting with some VORS Sherries. I love some older style Sherries that pre-date the recent style trend to bone-dryness, such as Osborne’s PdeltaP Palo Cortado (which includes some PX) and their India Solera Oloroso (which also includes some Arrope). So if I have a very dry VORS Palo Cortado, for instance, I might add a bit of very old PX to the glass to gauge the effect. I also have a couple bottles of the Equipo Navazo Bota 33 de Dulce Color Bota NO, which is an ancient bottling of a largely Arrope blend, so a bit of that has made its way into a glass or two of this or that VORS.

I will on occasion, add a teaspoon of Sauternes to a glass of (for my taste) too tart SV Blanc to mow down some of the grass. Works wonders if you keep a light touch with the Sauternes.

Technically speaking, the only true way to “doctor” a wine is with Dr. Pepper.

Historically, there was retsina. The McGovern book I have says that, since grapes can easily kick-start the fermentation process on their own, they were sometimes added to brews of grain and honey (think the “Midas beer”).

The Romans and Greeks added herbs and, sometimes sea salt.

As a little salt can tame tannins, I wonder what the effect of flavor would be to sprinkle a tiny bit into a glass of modern Cabernet?

My late father had little use for wine and found my interest in it amusing. I can remember a few times when, to devil me, he’d pour the remnants of his pre-dinner martini into whatever glass of red or white I’d set out for him–said it made for a significant improvement over straight wine.

I was served a barely drinkable red at a party once and snuck over to the cocktail bar and added a splash of cranberry juice to it. It made the wine much better (at least I could drink it). Now, if I get something I don’t care for, I’ll add a splash of cranberry juice to even it out. I wouldn’t do it to a wine I liked though.

You might want to try Barolo Chinato, which is Nebbiolo with herbs and spices added. I love the stuff.

Sure have - just like my CellarTracker screen name: CranBurgundy. Whenever we pop a Pinot that’s just too tart for either my wife or I, a shot of Ocean Spray No Sugar Added CranCherry does the trick. [cheers.gif]

Same reason chocolate covered pretzels are so popular.

Took a cooking class in New Orleans. The chef was explaining how he got over people doctoring his food with ketchup. He learned to each his own as he discribed a couple who added sugar to a fairly expensive bottle of wine.

I have talked about doing this with friends for years. I think it is a fabulous idea and I’m glad you posted.

I have heard of people freezing their Sauternes to concentrate the wine. I have never done it myself

I added sugar to really bad sparking wine before. Results were not good

I blend port that is too sweet into wines that are lacking substance sometimes. It’s quite good.