Hard to Find Beer

So, my little brother just bought and moved into his first house and will be having a baby soon. He is not much of a wine guy but loves beer. I wanted to get him some interesting beers as a housewarming gift. Can anyone recommend a place that sells hard to find, for lack of a better work, “cult” beers? Specifically, I am looking for a beer called “The Dark Lord” by Three Floyds Brewery. Any help would be appreciated.

These are special release beers that people line-up for and sell out within hours. Your best bet is finding someone who bought a few and are looking to flip…

Joe, thanks for the response. That is what I thought. I was hoping that someone may have been aware of a shop that sells some of them.

I have never managed to get my hands on the Dark Lord. I have been to Dark Lord Day once though. Good times.

There’s a few bottles on ebay.

I think I will probably end up going the eBay route. I was trying to avoid it due to some bad experiences buying alcohol on eBay but, its worth rolling the dice.

Jimmy, where are you located? Dependent on that, some members here can point you to great retialers. Also, it doesn’t have to be a “hard to find beer” only…could also be an “expensive as hell” beer. Surely it’ll be appreciated. [wink.gif]

Jorge, I am in Chicago, Illinois.

It doesnt have to be a hard to find beer. I just know that my brother is a very into beer so I wanted to get him something special. I am open to other suggestions. What did you have in mind?

If you’re in Chicago then you should just go raid Mel’s stash! He probably has a few cases tucked away. neener

Joe said it best, contact Mel Hill.

WOW, sounds a little like Pliny the Younger…

A few Darklord Day updates

Written on April 27, 2011 at 6:38 pm, by admin

1. Gates open at 10:00 am
  2. The Darklord bottle limit will be 4 bottles per person, $15.00 per bottle.
  3. There will be a lottery for extremely limited, hand bottled, hand numbered barrel aged variations. Guests will exchange their event tickets for a Golden Ticket with a scratch off section. If their ticket scratches off as a winner, they will have the opportunity to purchase one bottle of one of the four variations in addition to the 4 bottles of Darklord. The available variations will be divided equally between the 3 purchasing times. If you have a winning ticket you will be able to choose the variation you prefer. Some versions may sell out before others during each time slot. The variations are:
    Darklord aged in Pappy Van Winkle 23 year barrels
    Darklord aged in brandy barrels
    Darklord aged in brandy barrels with vanilla beans
    Darklord de Muerte, DL aged in bourbon barrels with ancho and guajillo peppers
    These hand bottled, hand numbered, hand waxed bottles will sell for $50.00.
  4. All purchases on Darklord Day are cash only.
    Some of our Guest Drafts:
    Founders Breakfast Stout, Founders Nemesis, Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout, Founders Backwoods Bastard, Founders Newaygo County Cherry, Founders Devil Dancer, Founders Double Trouble, Victory Smoked & Oats,Victory Headwaters Pale, Victory Braumeister Pils, Schlafly Kolsch, Schlafly Imperial Stout, Van Steenberg Monk’s Ale, Brewdog paradox smokehead, Bells Batch 10,000, Bells Oatmeal Stout, Left Hand TNT weizen doppelbock, Dogfish Head My Antonia, Dogfish Head Worldwide Stout, Dogfish Head Old School Barleywine, Dogfish Head Burton Baton, Ommegang Gnomegang, Bruery Saison De Lente, Bruery Loakal Red, Bruery Old Richland, Goose Island Bourbon County Stout Rare, Schlenkerla Fasten Beer, Schlenkerla Oat Smoke, Schlenkerla Maerzen, Futhermore Knot Stock, Futhermore Oscura, La Rulles Estivale, Aventinus Eisbock, Sierra NevadaOliva Dubbel, Oakshire Heart Shaped Box, Oakshire Imperial Overcast Espresso Stout. Plus a couple more on the way…
    9 Comments

Category Uncategorized | Tags:

Social Networks: Facebook, Twitter, Google Bookmarks, del.icio.us, StumbleUpon, Digg, Reddit, Posterous.

A Few Tips for a Successful Darklord Day

Written on April 12, 2011 at 11:06 am, by admin

This year’s event requires a ticket for entry. There will be no admittance for non ticket holders. The Munster Police Dept. will be out to enforce traffic flow and loitering. If you do not have a ticket, hopefully you can make it next year instead.
Attendees must be 21 years of age or older.
Pets will not be permitted to this year’s event.
If you wish to bring beer for trading and sampling with friends we encourage you to do so within reason. A few bottles here and there are permissible. Please do not bring cases and kegs. You will not be admitted with excessive beer.
Parking will be up to the attendees. Our little brewery does not have the facilities to accommodate vehicles.
If you are bringing a vehicle please assign a designated driver.
If you are planning to bring a bus or RV they must be kept out of our industrial park to allow emergency vehicles access (police order).
The weather is normally unpredictable. It may be rainy or sunny so be prepared.
Please do not bring anything to sell. Vending will not be permitted.
Please hang on to your tickets. You’ll be glad you did.
The Event is cash only as always. There will be ATMs on site.
If you wish to bring lawn chairs try not to bring the couch version. Space is at a premium. Also please be mindful of traffic flow when deciding where to hang out.
No Grills will be allowed.
Most of all please be respectful of our town and our neighbors. We want to continue to hold a safe and fun event in the years to come and we can only do it with your help.
6 Comments

Social Networks: Facebook, Twitter, Google Bookmarks, del.icio.us, StumbleUpon, Digg, Reddit, Posterous.

Written on March 19, 2011 at 11:06 am, by admin

Tickets will be available at 1 pm CST here:

http://darklordday.tickets.musictoday.com/3FloydsBrewingCo/calendar.aspx

7 Comments

DLD ticket Site

Written on March 19, 2011 at 11:05 am, by admin

Tickets will be available at 1 pm CST here:

http://darklordday.tickets.musictoday.com/3FloydsBrewingCo/calendar.aspx

No Comments

Tips for a successful DLD ticket purchase

Written on March 18, 2011 at 3:47 pm, by admin

1. Bookmark our Facebook page, Twitter, and appropriate Beer Advocate and Ratebeer forums ahead of time. The link to tickets will be cross posted across the internet, not only on Darklordday.com. The ticketing site we are using should not be affected by the volume of people trying to buy tickets but our own sites may.

2. When buying tickets, make sure you enter your shipping address correctly. Double, triple, or quadruple check. Tickets are going through a third party this year, so if you make a mistake, we will not be able to help you like in years past.

3. Tickets go on sale at 1 p.m. CST on Saturday March 19th. Two tickets maximum per person.

4. Your ticket is your admission to the grounds. Beer allocations will be on a per person basis. Holding two tickets in your hand will not give you two allotments of Dark Lord.

5. All tickets are good for general admission. Your ticket will have an A, B, or C sales time assigned to it. Group A will be from 10am to noon. B will be 1 to 3. And C will be 5 to 7. This will hopefully cut down on the time everyone has to spend in line.

This is still Dark Lord Day. We’re looking forward to all of the beers that people bring to trade, the awesome lineup of bands, the ultimately unique experience that Dark Lord Day is and has become. The guest draft list is coming together nicely, food preparations and planning are at full speed, there is even a Czar of porto-potties this year. Good Luck Saturday and we look forward to seeing you April 30th.

2 Comments

Dark Lord Day 2011

Written on January 13, 2011 at 8:12 pm, by admin

Dark Lord Day 2011 will take place on Saturday April 30th.

We’ll be posting info about ticket sales soon.

78 Comments

Dark Lord Day Parking.

Written on April 22, 2010 at 2:38 pm, by admin

Areas marked red NO PARKEY areas green PARKEY

Click for larger version.

1 Comment

follow us on twitter

Map Data - Terms of Use

▼Map
Search for:

Hey! Step away from the beer cabinet!

Sadly, I have but one DL which I’m not willing to trade

Tell Jimmy where to go Mel.

Mel, how is the Dark Lord? I have never had it but it seems massive.

Not exactly Dark Lord, but containing Dark Lord, now would be the time to look for a ticket to the 3 Floyd’s anniversary party to buy some of their anniversary brew:

“Our XV beer is going to be a collaboration between us (USA), Surly (USA), Mikkeller (Denmark), and Struise (Belgium). We are brewing Surly Darkness, Mikkeller’s Beer Geek Brunch, De Struise’s Black Albert, and our Dark Lord Imperial Stout. All these beers will be blended to create our XV beer for maximum ass kickery.”

http://www.3floyds.com/2011/09/14/anniversary-party-announcement/

Have to have a ticket–already sold out–but could surely be had on Craigslist. Plus you get to join the 3F party, which sounds killer (Paul Kahan, Mindy Segal, et al on food duty…)

[quote=“JimmyGillingham”]Mel, how is the Dark Lord? I have never had it but it seems massive.[/quote ]

Never had it hence whynim not trading the one I have.

I had one this year, in late June. My brother in law was getting married to his girlfriend (of 17 years). They are ridiculous beer fans, brew their own, compete in competitions, volunteer extensively at GABF and all that. They popped about 12 absurd beers for a select group of guests (one of whom was me). Other beers included Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, Pliny the Elder, Deschuttes Abyss (my favorite), Founders Breakfast Stout, the badass New Glarus cherry lambic, some sours like Consecration, supplication or whatever (had em all, so wasn’t going for those and can’t recall which ones they poured) and various other ones that I can’t remember.

Dark Lord is monsterous, alcoholic, exceptionally rich. I don’t really like the style. 15% abv is, for me, significantly more noticeable in beer than in wine (on the palate, I mean). The beer was pitch black, very complex, and was raved about. It’s just not my style. Others seemed to absolutely love it.

I have a buddy in Denver that might have a couple. He buys and trades regularly and has off-site beer storage to accomodate his addiction. I’ll ask him if he’d part with one, and for how much.

Thanks for offering to ask. That would be great. I am going to have to also try the Deschuttes Abyss. I have never heard of that one before but based on the recommendation, I will try and track that one down too.

Dark Lord is only available via the brewery once a year. It never sees retail so no need looking for it in local shops. Like others have mentioned ebay would be the best place. There are also hybrid Dark Lords that are offered on a lottery basis on DLD. They were $50 a piece so I’m sure they go for good $$$ on the secondary market.

Jimmy,

My buddy has a fair number of Dark Lords, and wants to know what year you want. I assume you don’t really care? He is willing to sell. I am trying to get a price from him. Will PM you when I get it.

Abyss won’t be out until November 15. If you can’t find any in Chicago let me know and I can get you some (and anyone else for that matter…)